Jump to content
Marianne Little

Can objects be returned without anything showing up in inventory?

Recommended Posts

The title says it all. I was a bit daring with my pool deck and extended it to the hedge. I thought "No one will notice".

I am not sure now, can a restart make things poof? Nothing is in my Lost and Found, no mysterious coalesced object, no message from Second Life that my nefarious objects has been returned by Thoushallnotencroach Mole.

Plus that my ground prim, that boldly go to the hedge, is laying here. And my autumn leaves by the entrance is spilling way out on the ground. Why should Thoushallnotencroach Mole leave some offensive objects?

I had many things just go poof in a restart when I rented someplace a while ago, so it is a possibility? I can always set up the deck again, with more railings, so no one fall down and is trapped between the deck and the hedge.

Edited by Marianne Little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have certainly seen "no copy" objects poof while being returned, but I'm sure your deck would not have been no copy, so this sounds like one of those "SL ate my stuff" moments that seem to happen on occasion. Did you relog to see if the object appeared in  your inventory then? 

On a similar note, I recently had a piece of fence appear in my Lost and Found with no message and no known explanation. It was not encroaching at all, and the rest of the fence was not disturbed, no known Moles in the vicinity (this was on the Atoll, not on Linden homes land). *scratches head*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it's possible as something's clearly happening that shouldn't be.

I had a link-set returned for parcel encroachment a long while back but it was only the offending part that was returned and it did appear in my lost and found. Sounds stupid but have you tried relogging? Yes I know that's probably no more helpful than the tech support line of "turning it off and on again" but it was the first thing that came to mind. May also be a graphic glitch too; the last few days things haven't been showing up for me either so I have to relog or TP to an empty region (Waxford or the like) and TP back again. It takes a while but things sometimes slowly reappear on their own. Not always. Not even sure if clearing cache would help; the experts will probably have more solutions than I. But to answer your initial question no I haven't experienced what you are talking about as my offending objects appeared in the lost and found folder, sorry.

I hope it gets fixed soon. 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The title says it all. I was a bit daring with my pool deck and extended it to the hedge. I thought "No one will notice".

I am not sure now, can a restart make things poof? Nothing is in my Lost and Found, no mysterious coalesced object, no message from Second Life that my nefarious objects has been returned by Thoushallnotencroach Mole.

Plus that my ground prim, that boldly go to the hedge, is laying here. And my autumn leaves by the entrance is spilling way out on the ground. Why should Thoushallnotencroach Mole leave some offensive objects?

I had many things just go poof in a restart when I rented someplace a while ago, so it is a possibility? I can always set up the deck again, with more railings, so no one fall down and is trapped between the deck and the hedge.

If we assume it WASN'T a restart issue (personally I have never had anything disappear this way) then  ---

it was  probably "returned" by a mole or another official person.  Most of the time returned items do come back to your eventually but not always.  As to the why your pool deck was returned and not the other things --- the covenant mentions something about putting your stuff out so that it looks like you OWN that part of the land.  A pool deck is a large structure and very different than some leaf clutter so I can certainly see WHY it was returned :D.    

 It SAYS items placed outside your parcel "may" be returned ^^.  Wait until tomorrow maybe and see if it shows up in Lost and Found.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

If we assume it WASN'T a restart issue (personally I have never had anything disappear this way) then  ---

it was  probably "returned" by a mole or another official person.  Most of the time returned items do come back to your eventually but not always.  As to the why your pool deck was returned and not the other things --- the covenant mentions something about putting your stuff out so that it looks like you OWN that part of the land.  A pool deck is a large structure and very different than some leaf clutter so I can certainly see WHY it was returned :D.    

 It SAYS items placed outside your parcel "may" be returned ^^.  Wait until tomorrow maybe and see if it shows up in Lost and Found.  

It's this stripe here:

The cube is the default 0.5. So it is maybe 60 cm over? 75 for good measure? And the ground prim is the grey slate, that was left behind.

 

encr_001.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

It's this stripe here:

The cube is the default 0.5. So it is maybe 60 cm over? 75 for good measure? And the ground prim is the grey slate, that was left behind.

 

encr_001.png

Well if you put it back and it goes away again -- you'll know :D.  Might be a neighbor sending in a report too. Who knows.   It "is" outside your plot so all bets are off that it will stay.   Good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well if you put it back and it goes away again -- you'll know :D.  Might be a neighbor sending in a report too. Who knows.   It "is" outside your plot so all bets are off that it will stay.   Good luck!

It also could be the root prim hanging over the edge of the parcel that the deck is getting returned. I have a few items hanging over the edge and as long as the root prim is side the parcel it should stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kaylee Romano said:

 as long as the root prim is side the parcel it should stay. 

not with encroachment, thats nothing more than crossing the border. Where the root is doesnt matter in that case.
Normally every owner can return encroaching items, the returned objects however should give the owner a message for being returned.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a tree in my Passwall back yard not returned to Lost and Found or any other message. It's limbs may have been over the boundry.  Linden land is there. Most of tree fully inside my property.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we return anything we generally IM the person to explain why. Even if we do not, you will still get a notification "Your object such and such has been returned from parcel so and so due to parcel owner return." 

If you don't see that in your notifications then it is something other than object being returned for encroachment. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we happen to see something particularly egregious or problematic we will return things and tell the person, but we are far far too busy to go around with measuring sticks looking for tiny inconsequential infractions everywhere.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try some of the stuff related to Inventory issues from the Firestorm Wiki pages.  I've had some of those steps resolve missing items a few times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't only see in Lost and Found. I see in Objects, and also unnamed objects, in case the root prim was an object I made, but not named.

I also filter the inventory and look in the folders that's been used last. If the rootprim is a carpet, it could be returned to the folder the carpet was rezzed from, and so on.

I can always  build it up again, I am just not feeling for it now. If I found it, I could modify it to be smaller. Much less work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After my previous post, I opened the official viewer and looked in all folders in my inventory since my last login. No luck there.

It was not a waste of time, since I found a no-copy sofa I thought was lost. (I bought no copy because the copy version cost more then I am willing to pay.)

But this shows that trying the official viewer can help fix things, even if it did not for me in this disappearing pool case. I found out that Firestorm needed a clear cache, since there had to be an inventory issue with it.

The pool is gone, no big deal, just annoying to set up all the railings again. I don't have a copy, since I never use the same design twice.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...