Unwrapping, faces and LI

Sunbleached

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's the number of vertices which count against the land impact (download weight). A vertex can only hold the data of one position coordinate, one UV coordinate, one normal vector, and some more types which aren't relevant for SL though.  A UV split doubles the vertices along the split. A material boarder creates duplicates as well. Same for hard edges.

So the strategy is to split UVs at hard edges, and on material borders if possible, to save resources. Because, if you have duplicates from hard edges already, the UV split, or material border won't create any further duplication there.

You may notice a different vertex count in the viewers import window.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I can't be bothered to check but I believe that each unique SL "face", also counts towards your object's complexity.

I does indeed. Each face of a mesh is treated as a separate "submesh" with its own vertices and everything. That often means vertices will have to be split and it can also mean that the compression algorithm won't be as efficient. Usually the difference isn't enough to affect the land impact but sometimes it can.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.