Garth Gartenberg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

18 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Garth Gartenberg said:

Hello, on my return to SL following an absence of some years, I am having memory problems. My avatar has a green line of text above him = Type "/1ml" to enter setup.

Any suggestions please?

Heckta Freck

Check in your inventory what you are wearing.  It sounds like one of those wearable titlers  that people can use to type in local chat to change yours to silly things.  You can just detatch it and it will disappear from above you avatar 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Garth Gartenberg said:

sorry Cindy, I don't know how to detach titler

You need to look in your inventory at worn items.  It might not be called titler (a lot of them are but its years since I used one)   Are you wearing a collar?  Theres also something in collars that enables wearing different titles above your head

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
11 hours ago, Garth Gartenberg said:

thanks girlie

Note that "girlie" is not really considered an appropriate or polite way to refer to a female.

WHOA. Even at his angriest, my dad never ever used THAT term. Wow.

52 minutes ago, Garth Gartenberg said:

lol, you guys! I'm an Aussie and I use "girlie"often

To be honest, I didn't find girlie offensive at all.  I would rather be called girlie than hun, dear, sweetie which I do find condescendingly offensive.   My best friend is an Aussie and he has called me some names I cannot repeat on a PG forum 😂

Edited by Cindy Evanier
typo
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

To be honest, I didn't find girlie offensive

in the political correct society we live in, this kind of terms can't be used in public, and for sure not to strangers  ... :)
And in some cultures this might even be insulting, or close to it .
Personally i'm not very pleased when people adress to me as dude or mate either... but it's pretty common in some parts of the world.
Of course in my most wellknown humble way i'll sideways will mention it to them :SwingingFriends:

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Garth Gartenberg said:

lol, you guys! I'm an Aussie and I use "girlie"often

And it's fine when you're in your own house (You cultural home). :)

5 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

in the political correct society we live in, this kind of terms can't be used in public, and for sure not to strangers  ... :)
And in some cultures this might even be insulting, or close to it .
Personally i'm not very pleased when people adress to me as dude or mate either... but it's pretty common in some parts of the world.
Of course in my most wellknown humble way i'll sideways will mention it to them :SwingingFriends:

People tend to forget we are all in the great melting pot of multiple cultures that can sometimes mix as well as oil and water.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 5:57 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I grew up in the Midwest part of the US and in that area, calling a woman "girlie" is definitely a put down.  Men use it as another way of verbally putting a woman in her place. 

(WARNING: Non-PC sentence to follow!) Back to the kitchen winch!

Being all PC is part of the idea we can tell others how to behave and what to say and not say. Being ruthlessly blunt, that behavior is more fascist than liberal. There is the included idea that certain speech is harmful or may trigger someone therefore we should all walk on eggshells passing well beyond civil concern for another. Throw the concepts of free speech and diversity out to achieve a placid environment avoiding any disturbing ideas... a type of conditioning.

That we may not like what someone calls us doesn't make them WRONG, just annoying to us. Getting in their face over it borders on bullying and displays a self-centered reaction. State the obvious and ask them not to refer to you as whatever bothers you. Take responsibility for your sensitivity. Then move on. 

When I was overseas I had to learn some common American hand gestures are totally rude in Sri Lanka. Oops. But, that is tolerance of diversity, a supposed attribute of enlightened people.

No, no, no!  It's "Back to the kitchen, WENCH!"

Definition of wench

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a : a young woman : girl
b : a female servant
2 : a lewd woman : prostitute

Definition of winch

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : any of various machines or instruments for hauling or pulling especially : a powerful machine with one or more drums on which to coil a rope, cable, or chain for hauling or hoisting : windlass
2 : a crank with a handle for giving motion to a machine (such as a grindstone)

I'd rather be a girlie than a crank!*
*Sung to the tune of "El Condor Pasa" by Simon and Garfunkel
Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.