A Bowling Tournament?

JudeConnors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just trying to gauge the interest of the community...

Recently, my SL partner and I added a bowling alley to the rooftop pool patio party area of our club on our SIM. We are now thinking of having a tournament of 8 or 16 entrants.

Each entrant would put up a certain amount of $L. The winner would get the majority of the purse, with a lesser amount going to the runner-up and some money going to the SIM. All entrants would get some sort of free prize as well.

Does this sound interesting to anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Sounds like fun.  Be careful that nobody reports you for ...

6 hours ago, JudeConnors said:

Recently, my SL partner and I added a bowling alley to the rooftop [slurl removed] of our club on our SIM

or reporting for promotion /advertising at the wrong forum section, because there is no need at all to add a slurl with the location to a question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

🙄

SLURL placed in case someone wanted to check out the bowling alley prior to answering. Sometimes the location isn't "good enough".

Go ahead and report, though... I have found that usually, the forum is more of a hindrance than a help. Thanks for reminding me of that fact. Besides, I cannot delete the thread so maybe a report will, right?

Edited by JudeConnors

13 hours ago, JudeConnors said:

Go ahead and report, though...

Please don't jump of your chair when the word "report" gets mentioned on the forums, it's not to get your account punished as it is inworld,
reporting at the forums mostly only means that the post goes to a more appropriate forum section.
Only when violating the guidelines and TOS the post gets removed. And only after some serious warnings when breaching the TOS and guidelines actions will be taken on your forum account, and when réally bad breaches it can also have consequences for the inworl presence.
Also reporting a post, doesn't mean the moderation team agrees, and can keep the post where it is and ignore the reporter.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:56 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Sounds like fun.  Be careful that nobody reports you for violating SL's Skill Gaming policy.

This game would not fall foul of the skill gaming policy, provided that there is no random element to the scoring and it's all down to player skill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

This game would not fall foul of the skill gaming policy, provided that there is no random element to the scoring and it's all down to player skill.

That'd be true, IF the game was located in a Skill Gaming region and was one of the approved-by-LL skill games.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

All these people who are so willing to share and skilled at knowing the laws and the details of ToS are as much experts at knowing how to create the future of SL patron's sim(s) to be prosperious and successful. I wonder how much mental energy they've put into that and how much they feel the need to help out with that. (it's a point about how we treat each other, and attitudes)

I wish I could have joined in. Sounded like good fun for everyone.

Edited by KimRaw

In actual life what does a couple hours of bowling cost? Is a bowling alley free? A tournament there is a chance a winning it back and some- entry fee probably cheap than general admission. Novel Idea.  How is it tossing money away for the entertainment you've been otherwise GIVEN? How do you expect these things to be free? Oh how fast the West is free falling to communism, mentally it's already here- the older and their penchant monetary power are the only ones delaying it's fruitation for now.

Maybe it's time for SIM general admission fees. Since how it's money tossed by SIM owners at this point anyway. Doesn't hurt the pocket or popularity of low trafficked SIMS

By the Way Disneyland's 1 Day general admission tickets are over $200USD each, and food prices are astronomically overpriced -$8 for a bottled water.

Be grateful.

I've been back to Second Life for about 2 weeks? I've given away over 100USD. I'm by no means rich. What was that insinuation again? You want to make it again?

People who don't hold dear the prosperity and success of their future as much as justice and goodwill are not much a person.

Regarding SL You've only demostrated how fundamentally ignorant about LIFE you are, and ought to do more listening than speaking/writing.

Here's a tip to help you out: 1) There's no such thing as "Second Life" The company "Second Life" is server hosting company with attraction interface service program to draw Server sales and sales bank transactions.  There is only life. It is ONLY what we make it.

2) Second Life is molded by what sells and what draws more clients for sale. There is by NO MEANS any objectivety or continuity of what this company does, or it's identity. If something works it may have staying power for as long as it holds value as that is LIFE since the dawn of civilization, ha no, since the invention of fire. It by no mean defines anything.

3) An extremely few people make money on tip jars, it is something that will have to go as the thought "go to" method of making money, in Second Life, which in reality does not make money for the vast majority, if it want to continue to exist in the unforseeable future... Baby Boomers throwing money at Second Life is only going to last for so much longer. They know it. Linden Labs is onto it: Sansar.

4) Your failed attempt to explain how Second LIfe successfully operates only shows why it is dying. Second Life itself and the client base it most supports pushed out so many talented people and entrepenuers for in favor of a certain direction in the early days. It could turn itself around but not without drastic changes one way or another. COVID players mostly are temporary. But the way it's looking, it will fizzle out and Linden Labs will let it die and while it prepares for it's next projects because the vast group they've invested in catering to, doesn't have a damn clue about investments or general continuity of life and prosperity and the resource is nearly tapped out. They are money givers at best to the One very top dog, not money makers  of themselves or others - supporting an enriched ecosystem. Some call it slave mentality or sheep needing a master... But I let's not get dramatic.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, KimRaw said:

Your failed attempt to explain how Second LIfe successfully operates only shows why it is dying. ....................... But I let's not get dramatic.

and here we are again... a 8 post 2 weeks old newbie that comes tell us we'r going to die .. good thing is, not dramatic this time...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KimRaw said:

3) An extremely few people make money on tip jars, it is something that will have to go as the thought "go to" method of making money, in Second Life, which in reality does not make money for the vast majority, if it want to continue to exist in the unforseeable future... Baby Boomers throwing money at Second Life is only going to last for so much longer. They know it. Linden Labs is onto it: Sansar.

It's true about the tip jars plus the fact that many clubs are forking out (sometimes) 5000 linden per hour ($20 U.S. dollars) for the LIVE entertainment.  If a live entertainer asks you to please tip the venue, they mean it...because the vast majority of live performers are already paid.  Live entertainers in SL mostly have agents now.  The venue needs the tips more.  I can tell you I do not have $20 U.S. dollars to spend on an entertainer for one hour to perform at my club.  If a Dj or live entertainer wants to play at my club, it's for 80% tips only because I have to pay the rent too.  I am not a rich person in any way, shape or form...but I do have kind people who help my little club keep afloat....thankfully, or I would not be able to have a little club.  

But, Sansar is sold by LL.  Someone else bought it.  Second Life is what it is.  It's fun...but it can be costly too.  I have to budget and more so now since coronavirus I closed out half my rentals and cannot really justify keeping my other rentals for May even because of the uncertainty with the coronavirus situation.  The world is sitting near bankruptcy.  I thought I'd be truthful since you were being truthful as you saw it.  And so, it's my decision to keep my club or close it, no one elses, irregardless of tips I might or might not get in May, and it was my decision to open it to regardless of any tips or lack of tips.  It was a see how it goes kind of thing for me since I am not a rich person but a person with a budget.

As far as the skilled gaming thing...I think you have to fill out a form first is all with LL that's why it was brought up, maybe?  I hate red tape too but it exists.  

Even worse than that, Fairre...last I heard, LL was not accepting applications for new Skill Game approvals.  I think you can still buy a Skill Gaming region, though.

But going back to @JudeConnors original idea...it's not possible (or not likely, anyway) that she can do exactly what she originally proposed.  However, there ARE bowling alleys in SL (Jude has one!)  There is nothing to keep people from having fun with it, and Jude may even be able to make a little money into the bargain, although she can't charge an entry fee and give out cash prizes.

Most people in SL would go bowling just for the fun of it.  If Jude advertises a Weekly Bowling Tournament, it might just prove as popular as many clubs.  People could go, sign up, compete against others just for the bragging rights and the cheerful banter.  Jude could leave out tip jars for people to support the venue.  It might even be made more attractive, and bring in more tips, by having a DJ play at the events, and have a dance floor and dance machine for those who aren't actively bowling.

I remember at least one case in which a bowling tournament was used as a fund raiser.  Although in that one, it was not a specified event.  You could drop by the bowling alley any time, shoot a game even if you were all alone.  Your score (and those of previous players) was shown on a display board.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.