Sign in to follow this  
Trinity Aironaut

New Mesh Designers Add your pictures Here

Basically I shaped this inworld with prims , then I took them into blender and used it as a pattern to create a bay window shape in the app, deleted the prims and added the cushion and pillows...........gotta love blender

129809999_Snapshot5_004.thumb.jpg.f9068b6403fddd54859219157ef6e955.jpg

• Like 4

Great to see what you've been doing, Trinity. I'm starting to think I should start doing some classes and learn how to do mesh properly...being self taught and discovering random techniques as I try to do stuff that I can't yet means I have no idea whether what I'm doing is good, or whether it could be done much quicker & simpler.

Anyway, my meshing this last month has to be trying to work out clothing and how to rig it (going to try just in Blender without Marvelous Designer for now). If anyone has good advice on working with Blender cloth and stitching, I'd love to hear it - some of my attempts have been very random. My first dress attempts got made into static models:

898427119_200103Wireframe_007.thumb.png.eaacc114bc02f6f81f83f9a8b9e05ec6.png

And then it was time to learn rigging with Avastar using the Ruth 2.0 dev kit. ūüė≥ Well, the first few days were filled with much bad language and seeking solace in wine, but I eventually managed to work out what I was meant to be doing and I managed to get my dresses not only rigged but weighted and working with sliders! Woot! \o/ These are my first attempts...in retrospect I should have just done a simple T-shirt or straight skirt, but I've never been known for doing things the easy way! The first two are the same model as the first static dress model above...I re-uvmapped the shorter one to cut down on texture waste, and ended up having to re-rig & re-weight it as well. The regency gown was harder with sleeves, but I was pretty happy with how the weighting went.

DressPic.thumb.jpg.d0a634980f1e6492e3559f0d7c85bcdc.jpg

• Like 2

And pics of my most recent, my new years gown, in wireframe because why not? I spent a bit of time on this one trying out deleting unneeded loops... the skirt may be a little jagged on some deformations after taking out too many loops, but hey - it's all a learning exercise, right? The UV map shows where it was when I started removing some of the geometry...I still took a little more out of it.

200103 WireframeMain.png

FullDressRuth_UVSm.png

• Like 3

Okay, I will stop spamming this thread - this is my last entry for a while since RL is going to start taking priority with the start of the school year.

My last effort for my holidays is not a dress, but a build for my Victorian home...I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting a handle on static mesh for SL ( wearables are still a mystery to me!). This project for my little library has been about three solid days of work, but it's now my favourite builds...my little dream library. I was aiming for 10 LI for shelves, ladder system and books joined, but it came up to 12, mostly because I wanted good detail at a low LOD setting ( I routinely keep my LOD settings at 1 in firestorrn, which is lower than the default).

This is the basic of the wireframe: Wireframe.thumb.jpg.935a5581afac101700cef97ff4878cab.jpg

I mirrored the two sides to make the complete library, and the rail and ladder are separate to allow them to be left out. the books are 5 different meshes that get copied 2 or three times in the library. All up, the books use 3 1024 textures (so titles could be read, if I didn't care for readability 512s would be the go), and by varying the textures on different faces of the books mesh, the duplication isn't too obvious. The shelves' wood and metal textures are tiled to reduce texture usage. I might work on my cushion, the one bit I'm not sure I got right, but for now, this is my pride and joy.

200108 Books_007.jpg

• Like 5

Five Beds I've made, all very different.......... Made the Bedside tables too. And the lamps................... Goodness all the things I learned to do here, cloth, mirroring, making the four posters as 1 piece.......... Mirroring is my friend ;)

Bed 1 with Bedside tables and carpet Trinity Aironaut.jpg

bed 2.jpg

bed 3.jpg

Bed 4 with Bedside tables and carpet Trinity Aironaut.jpg

Bed 5 with Bedside tables lamps pillows and carpet.jpg

Edited by Trinity Aironaut
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:16 AM, Peony Swee*****er said:

Great to see what you've been doing, Trinity. I'm starting to think I should start doing some classes and learn how to do mesh properly...being self taught and discovering random techniques as I try to do stuff that I can't yet means I have no idea whether what I'm doing is good, or whether it could be done much quicker & simpler.

Anyway, my meshing this last month has to be trying to work out clothing and how to rig it (going to try just in Blender without Marvelous Designer for now). If anyone has good advice on working with Blender cloth and stitching, I'd love to hear it - some of my attempts have been very random. My first dress attempts got made into static models:

898427119_200103Wireframe_007.thumb.png.eaacc114bc02f6f81f83f9a8b9e05ec6.png

And then it was time to learn rigging with Avastar using the Ruth 2.0 dev kit. ūüė≥ Well, the first few days were filled with much bad language and seeking solace in wine, but I eventually managed to work out what I was meant to be doing and I managed to get my dresses not only rigged but weighted and working with sliders! Woot! \o/ These are my first attempts...in retrospect I should have just done a simple T-shirt or straight skirt, but I've never been known for doing things the easy way! The first two are the same model as the first static dress model above...I re-uvmapped the shorter one to cut down on texture waste, and ended up having to re-rig & re-weight it as well. The regency gown was harder with sleeves, but I was pretty happy with how the weighting went.

DressPic.thumb.jpg.d0a634980f1e6492e3559f0d7c85bcdc.jpg

These are awesome Peony! I'm amazed at what you've taught yourself, I know very little about MD, practically nothing about rigging, but I do know that Avastar will not work with Blender 2.8...but they are working on it! They should be done by the time I get to rigging, I'm not sure how i'll go, whether it's making clothes with Blender or MD but making clothes and builds is my end goal. But right now I'm just a Blender First Grader, lol.

Edited by Trinity Aironaut
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:29 AM, Peony Swee*****er said:

And pics of my most recent, my new years gown, in wireframe because why not? I spent a bit of time on this one trying out deleting unneeded loops... the skirt may be a little jagged on some deformations after taking out too many loops, but hey - it's all a learning exercise, right? The UV map shows where it was when I started removing some of the geometry...I still took a little more out of it.

200103 WireframeMain.png

FullDressRuth_UVSm.png

This is beautiful Geometry

• Like 1

OK, so here's a mesh model of a 14xx class tank locomotive of the Great Western Railway, about half the LI of an old prim-based model, and with a lot more detail. There are some things I got wrong, but this is getting pretty close. Actual spoked wheels rather than cylinders with textures, that sort of thing.  It runs on the SLRR with the standard, rather ancient, scripts.

14xx-tank_001.jpg.f929c42db750e764fd988c09f65497fd.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arabellajones said:

OK, so here's a mesh model of a 14xx class tank locomotive of the Great Western Railway, about half the LI of an old prim-based model, and with a lot more detail. There are some things I got wrong, but this is getting pretty close. Actual spoked wheels rather than cylinders with textures, that sort of thing.  It runs on the SLRR with the standard, rather ancient, scripts.

Nice Arabella

8 hours ago, arabellajones said:

That is a cute train! Did you work it from exported prims or make it from scratch in your 3D program? I’ve struggled adapting prim builds to good mesh.

3 hours ago, Peony Swee*****er said:

That is a cute train! Did you work it from exported prims or make it from scratch in your 3D program? I’ve struggled adapting prim builds to good mesh.

I noted prim sizes but built the mesh components from scratch, with some slight size tweaks after import.

• Like 1

This is the same pic marked up to show some of the changes the mesh version has. The wheels and coupling rods were also replaced by mesh. Only the lamps were on the prim model. The access steps for the cab use the same mesh as the marked steps, but the original had them as prims.

I really should try to set up animation for the wheels and coupling rods.

14xx-tank_002.jpg.bd805c882316d2b4b842f94aa1327e3f.jpg

• Like 1

And, just for comparison, here's a pic of a real one. (The loco numbers did get changed from the original 48xx series to 14xx in 1946)

The best typeface for GWR nameplates and numberplates seems to be called "Swindon"  and is related to Clarendon. The links here still work.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116740-class-4243-warship-nameplate-font/&do=findComment&comment=2496169

I seem to have the distinct moral failing of bothering to look things up. It seems to be offensive to politicians...SVR_-_7802__Bradley_Manor__08.jpg.2c5dbc67a2b5719b6b8be0066ef91cc1.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe last one for a while. Here we are at Crumbi Junction, with the pre-1946 loco number, coupled to an old Pattern V5 PBV of the GWR, waiting for a signal to clear before heading for Leafroller and Tuliptree14xx-tank_004.jpg.72946a1f38e7ab55c68fe8c99a32545e.jpg

• Like 2

I'm putting this info here since it may help anyone else trying to build stuff for the SLRR standard.

While some model railways use a wrong track gauge for the vehicle scale, the only significant example of the British OO system, which uses the same gauge as HO models, but a larger vehicle scale.

SLRR uses an oversized track gauge, so to look right models should, according to the 1m nominal scale used in SL, be 138% or the real measurement. I've decided to use 133% for any railway models I make. The result is close, and the 4/3 ratio is a little easier to work with.

• Like 1

i was curious so I went and had a look

Belli railway gauge is 2.05m

standard railway gauge is 1.676m

so the scale factor is: 1 : 1.22315.