SL viewer upgrade or updated

cafekan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It's not the gobbledy part that people have trouble with. It derives from a Korean word that means country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****

It's used as an insult which is why I made the switch to gobbledigoop decades ago.

I get that. Though it seems Maverick may not have been aware of any vulgar connotation in a part of his term, if my imagined etiology is correct, a lot of people did, and decided to use it. Now that I know (or think I know) the etiology, it'll be hard for me to hear Maverick's word without hearing the slang.

I personally have always used the term "gibberish" to describe nonsense-speak.

I wonder about changing the spelling, though. Now we're back to Pinker's euphemism treadmill, where the newly spelled word will be understood by some to mean the old word, complete with derogatory connotation. I'm already clumsy enough to unintentionally offend, so I'll stick with gibberish. It really is easier to spell.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I get that. Though it seems Maverick may not have been aware of any vulgar connotation in a part of his term, if my imagined etiology is correct, a lot of people did, and decided to use it. Now that I know (or think I know) the etiology, it'll be hard for me to hear Maverick's word without hearing the slang.

I personally have always used the term "gibberish" to describe nonsense-speak.

I wonder about changing the spelling, though. Now we're back to Pinker's euphemism treadmill, where the newly spelled word will be understood by some to mean the old word, complete with derogatory connotation. I'm already clumsy enough to unintentionally offend, so I'll stick with gibberish. It really is easier to spell.

All things considered? Only turkeys gobble. ;)

19 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

My first reaction to this was, "No way.  I'm not going to change one of my favorite words for some...(and this is not aimed at you personally, Selene)...snowflake overly politically correct sensibility."

But then I started thinking.  Where did the term actually come from?  (Thank you for the research, Maddy!)  The originator may have been thinking, "We call our enemy "g**ks.  Their language sounds like gobbling to me.  So I'm gonna call any clump of incomprehensible words "gobbledyg**k".  MAYBE.  He may also have been thinking of a sticky, messy substance.

In either case, "goop" is actually a better choice.

Until researching this, I'd always thought the word was somehow related to turkeys (Selene just made that reference). The truth of Maverick's muttering, tulip tending, Dutch neighbor (Royal Order of Adjectives?) is far more amusing.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting that the initial meaning was condemning words similar to our popular business “fad” words today.

Yep.

I could also imagine that Maverick's use of his neighbor's name wasn't based entirely, or even at all, on affection. Maverick might truly have been looking down his nose at "Dutch-speak". My relatives in northern Wisconsin sometimes used the odd (to them) sounding surnames of other families as slurs, as in Dumb-brow-ski. Had I been born a Dombrowski, I'd probably know a slur based on my grandparent's Irish surname.

Unfortunately, making fun of people isn't a fad.

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep.

I could also imagine that Maverick's use of his neighbor's name wasn't based entirely, or even at all, on affection. Maverick might truly have been looking down his nose at "Dutch-speak". My relatives in northern Wisconsin sometimes used the odd (to them) sounding surnames of other families as slurs, as in Dumb-brow-ski. Had I been born a Dombrowski, I'd probably know a slur based on my grandparent's Irish surname.

Unfortunately, making fun of people isn't a fad.

Have you considered the possibility that the Maverick story is apocryphal?

Re: Dumbrowski, I’m reminded of a commercial where someone pronounces “Dumas” wrong.

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Lols at the censoring 

I crack up (way harder than I should) every single time I see that word censored. I understand why it is, actually (and that malicious use of the latter half of the word is unacceptable to me), but, it never stops cracking me up to see the word censored when I know why it's being used.

I use that word a LOT, and grew up hearing it a LOT (all my grandparents, great grands, uncles, aunts, family friends, etc.) so despite the negative use of the latter half of the word, the word in its entirety equates to nonsensical jargon/behaviors , versus being used with malintent or offensiveness (that doesn't stop my own understanding of why it is and why I am careful of when, where, why and how I use it....don't plan on allowing anyone to force me to stop using it for that purpose, either) .

The word itself is not used as an insult, the latter HALF of the word is. One person coining a term to indicate nonsense speak does not equate with others down the line later using a portion of a word as an insult. Most of those that used it as an insult (and most still today that do) fall into two categories:

A-The uneducated-Whether intentional or merely happenstance based on the era, most who used, and use it as an insult are quite uneducated in many areas, especially language. They often do not develop language skills beyond the most basic necessities before something else(war in this case, more often than not) comes along thta needs their full focus. 

B-Willfully ignorant-The worst kind of ignorance, in fact, the only *true bad (imho) type of ignorance. This ignorance also breeds intolerance, undeserved anger towards others, aggressiveness, and a host of other negative attributes.

I felt the same way about the word back when I was in school and had to explain to a teacher(who got oddly offended, even tattled to the principal about it, lol) why I used it in a paper. I had to explain to the principal, my mother, the superintendent, etc.. It was a huge ordeal, all because one person chose to be offended by a word that was never used on an offensive context whatsoever. Ftr. every single other adult that we ran across agreed with me, that's why the teacher kept taking it higher until someone finally told him to shut up and find another soapbox. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But then I started thinking.  Where did the term actually come from?  (Thank you for the research, Maddy!)  The originator may have been thinking, "We call our enemy "g**ks.  Their language sounds like gobbling to me.  So I'm gonna call any clump of incomprehensible words "gobbledyg**k".  MAYBE.  He may also have been thinking of a sticky, messy substance.

In either case, "goop" is actually a better choice.

You don't make any sense. You are speaking mumbo-jumbo, because I understand gobbledeguk.

(I've always spelled it that way: -guk LOL) Though it's this in Korean: 고 블덕 (My RL nationality)

Edited by Alyona Su

all part of the blog posting community learning experience.   More like a Moon landing or space landing. I've only been  apart of this SL for three month,  and I'm doing so much with it.  My biggest problem is Rezzing and where and to lock others out. 

Usually I'll Rezz, enjoy and walk away.  I hope to have fashion wear fashion gear ready to go on Second Life video game or Virtual life. 

all part of the blog posting community learning experience.   More like a Moon landing or space landing. I've only been  apart of this SL for three month,  and I'm doing so much with it.  My biggest problem is Rezzing and where and to lock others out. 

Usually I'll Rezz, enjoy and walk away.  I hope to have fashion wear fashion gear ready to go on Second Life video game or Virtual life. 

social media face book

• 3 weeks later...

ouyay eepspay avehay ayway ootay uchmay imetay onyay ouryay andshay . 

i otewray isthay enthay otgay uriouscay ofyay ooglegay ouldcay anslatetray ityay . 

image.thumb.png.47e78782f3cc4f58c61f66aabd43cd52.png

Obviously Google failed... I think it is a funny fail. Pig-Latin might sound like Somali... but Google doesn't have an output audio for Somali... so whatever...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.