SL viewer upgrade or updated

cafekan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So one major issue that did come up in our Slip and Falls Inc. meeting is that " the Download SL viewer"  is a huge problem or concern to connect people to the SL virtual reality whom are not able to download the whole script and this is a huge problem for us to attracting and keeping vendors. 

The only answer we have is to ask the community to make one that a player only needs to double click on icons and market it as a paid service, privately own and operated.  The money will be used to pay the designer in full. 

I can not post this enough. " The Slip and Falls Inc. is listed as an affiliate marketing platform to advertise, promote, and marketing for the Second Life Virtual game. Plat form because the SL platform has provided the tools and technique to do so much with it as a business medium. 

AvatarCafekan, may or not have an official email account with us, us referring to  Slip and Falls Inc. but She is us. 

We are very happy in working with the Second Life Platform. 

second life.png

Snapshot_016.png

• Confused 2

You posted this in for forum that is intended for people to let the developers know what they would like changed in the FORUMS. So this is very much the wrong area.   Honestly your post doesn't make much sense to me so I have no idea what area it belongs in LOL.   No doubt the moderator will catch this on Monday. 

• Like 3

I think there is a severe language barrier here, because not a single thing posted makes a lick of sense (and I know confusion well, I'm pretty good at interpreting..usually-hence my questions below, an attempt to interpret).

I do have some questions though, maybe concerns, not sure what to call them.

A-What script are you talking about? There is no script to download to use SL, and I have yet to find a singular person that can't figure out where the "download second life" button is (eve if they find that viewer doesn't work for them, finding the download is super simple-it's on the first page lol)

B-Why are *you*(I assume you mean your company) trying to attract vendors? Is vendors really the word you are looking for there? (this part makes literally no sense, SL has no problem whatsoever attracting people that want to make money...now whether they stay...whole different topic)

C-Why are people having a difficult time downloading the SL viewer, and have you contacted them to tell them there are third party viewers that may work better for them?

D-Who the heck is Slip and Falls Inc? (I am not inworld right now, I cannot look at your avatar's profile to fnd this information out, and your post leaves absolutely no information about you, at all, lol). 

E-When did LL get affiliate marketing platforms, or rather, when did they start allowing them? (LL has a tendency to go after and shut down fellow selling platforms, but I have no idea what your platform, company,whatever, actually is)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

E-When did LL get affiliate marketing platforms, or rather, when did they start allowing them? (LL has a tendency to go after and shut down fellow selling platforms, but I have no idea what your platform, company,whatever, actually is)

I suspect this aspect of the original post is against TOS

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As I typed the word, I thought “oh, some people may be offended if they only looked at the last part”, and “Alyona is Asian, but she’s too smart to be offended by this word”..hit “submit” and it was redacted! 😹

True. But there be Snowflakes in these here forums who think they speak for others when those others don't want to be spoken-for.

I love this!

I have in me significant amounts of both incompetence and bravado. Snugs usually prevents me from mixing them in the wrong proportion.

The OP needs a Snugs.

I'm going to hazard a guess that she is frustrated by the small subset of modern computing devices compatible with the SL viewer and is calling for something akin to what BrightCanopy does.

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I love this!

I have in me significant amounts of both incompetence and bravado. Snugs usually prevents me from mixing them in the wrong proportion.

The OP needs a Snugs.

I'm going to hazard a guess that she is frustrated by the small subset of modern computing devices compatible with the SL viewer and is calling for something akin to what BrightCanopy does.

Please note new price: 10 hours for $17/mo
Additional time $0.03/minute
Each session charged for a minimum of 30 minutes

tenor.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Try gobbledegoop instead. It doesn't reference an insulting slang word for Vietnamese/Korean.

That got me wondering (and wandering off to Google's Ngram viewer)...
922745541_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_18_21PM.thumb.png.57ab8e41413dcbf496833716990970de.png

So, what happened around 1944?

Maury Maverick!... https://gobbledy*****.askdefine.com

And here's the derogatory slang term...
775096431_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_12_26PM.thumb.png.607e4084a040f04f4b521e2627a00e8f.png

There's a spike in 1953 reflecting the Korean War and a rise from 1965 through 1973, corresponding to rising dissatisfaction with the Vietnam War. Things heat up again during the Reagan administration and continue to rise until mid Bush 2. I make that observation without knowing if it means anything.

Maury Maverick, a military official, coined Gobbledyg-ook in 1944. I've only heard the slang term in old war movies. It's reasonable to think that the original term, meaning "nonsense speak" and deriving from Dutch, filtered down the chain of command to soldiers who didn't understand a word the enemy spoke and who had no time for polysyllabic words themselves. Gobbledyg-ook was introduced too late to show up as slang in WWII, but was ready by the time Korea came around.

The two words de-correlate after 1953, suggesting Maverick's original word continues to describe "nonsense speak", not Asians. Since I find it difficult to remember how to spell Maverick's word and understand the meaning of the slang, I don't use either word outside contexts like this.

And finally, I love that Maverick's grandfather spawned the term "maverick"...
1202267607_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_00_25PM.thumb.png.6e18460d5e2d06515f466c03151898c8.png

There was an old television series by that name, running from 1957-62 and again from 1981-2. Looking at the curve, I think it's fair to credit both Samual Maverick and James Garner with the popularity of the word. The decline in use of all three terms since 2000 is interesting. I have theories too ill formed to articulate, so I'll blame Ngram itself for now.

So, what's the take-away from all this?

I have too much time on my hands.

ETA: If Ngram is responsible for showing a non-existent decline in usage of all three terms, it's reasonable to wonder if, with respect to the slang term, things are still getting worse. It seems that way to me.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Try gobbledegoop instead. It doesn't reference an insulting slang word for Vietnamese/Korean.

My first reaction to this was, "No way.  I'm not going to change one of my favorite words for some...(and this is not aimed at you personally, Selene)...snowflake overly politically correct sensibility."

But then I started thinking.  Where did the term actually come from?  (Thank you for the research, Maddy!)  The originator may have been thinking, "We call our enemy "g**ks.  Their language sounds like gobbling to me.  So I'm gonna call any clump of incomprehensible words "gobbledyg**k".  MAYBE.  He may also have been thinking of a sticky, messy substance.

In either case, "goop" is actually a better choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That got me wondering (and wandering off to Google's Ngram viewer)...
922745541_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_18_21PM.thumb.png.57ab8e41413dcbf496833716990970de.png

So, what happened around 1944?

Maury Maverick!... https://gobbledy*****.askdefine.com

And here's the derogatory slang term...
775096431_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_12_26PM.thumb.png.607e4084a040f04f4b521e2627a00e8f.png

There's a spike in 1953 reflecting the Korean War and a rise from 1965 through 1973, corresponding to rising dissatisfaction with the Vietnam War. Things heat up again during the Reagan administration and continue to rise until mid Bush 2. I make that observation without knowing if it means anything.

Maury Maverick, a military official, coined Gobbledyg-ook in 1944. I've only heard the slang term in old war movies. It's reasonable to think that the original term, meaning "nonsense speak" and deriving from Dutch, filtered down the chain of command to soldiers who didn't understand a word the enemy spoke and who had no time for polysyllabic words themselves. Gobbledyg-ook was introduced too late to show up as slang in WWII, but was ready by the time Korea came around.

The two words de-correlate after 1953, suggesting Maverick's original word continues to describe "nonsense speak", not Asians. Since I find it difficult to remember how to spell Maverick's word and understand the meaning of the slang, I don't use either word outside contexts like this.

And finally, I love that Maverick's grandfather spawned the term "maverick"...
1202267607_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_00_25PM.thumb.png.6e18460d5e2d06515f466c03151898c8.png

There was an old television series by that name, running from 1957-62 and again from 1981-2. Looking at the curve, I think it's fair to credit both Samual Maverick and James Garner with the popularity of the word. The decline in use of all three terms since 2000 is interesting. I have theories too ill formed to articulate, so I'll blame Ngram itself for now.

So, what's the take-away from all this?

I have too much time on my hands.

ETA: If Ngram is responsible for showing a non-existent decline in usage of all three terms, it's reasonable to wonder if, with respect to the slang term, things are still getting worse. It seems that way to me.

It's not the gobbledy part that people have trouble with. It derives from a Korean word that means country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****

It's used as an insult which is why I made the switch to gobbledigoop decades ago.

And like Lindal Said, it makes more sense.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.