Fun activities in SL

Miles Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Miles Beck said:

Years ago I went skiing, horseback riding, etc. in SL -- activities that are fun for a couple to do together. What are your top recommended places for fun activities in SL today? Thanks!

I also think, SL was more fun years ago. Still remembering abbotts aerodrome, for example. Too bad its gone.

Im still arranging things and im far from being done, but you can bungee jump at my home already, if you dont mind the 60 meter drop. 
https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ypsilon Island/64/86
Or just play mahjongg, tetris or try to crack the enigma machine you find in the house.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 2

It can be an expensive business providing activities for others to do in SL.  I tried it once when we opened up our region with horseriding, bumper boats, parachute ride, windsurfing, flying rides, dance spots, cuddle spots, games etc.  I advertised it everywhere I could and hung out there welcoming people but after 12 months it wasn't getting traffic so I stopped, brought the store down from the sky and gave my friends somewhere to live on the remainder of land.  

For all it's faults, you can still find a lot of fun spots in the destinations guide or a game we like to play is open search - places and type in a word (activity) and see what treasures you can find.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It can be an expensive business providing activities for others to do in SL.  I tried it once when we opened up our region with horseriding, bumper boats, parachute ride, windsurfing, flying rides, dance spots, cuddle spots, games etc.  I advertised it everywhere I could and hung out there welcoming people but after 12 months it wasn't getting traffic so I stopped, brought the store down from the sky and gave my friends somewhere to live on the remainder of land.  

My approach is a bit different. I just buy and build what i like and what im going to use by myself. Having my land opened for everyone is secondary, not a business model to gain any money. Its more like contributing to what SL stands for in my opninion: Exploring what others have created and vice versa.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

My approach is a bit different. I just buy and build what i like and what im going to use by myself. Having my land opened for everyone is secondary, not a business model to gain any money. Its more like contributing to what SL stands for in my opninion: Exploring what others have created and vice versa.

It was never to make money it was more like I had so much space laying there and I wanted to give back to SL in return for all the amazing things it has given me over the years.  It was a fun project to keep me occupied while I was housebound and I have an inventory full of toys if I ever decide to do it again.  That reminds me, must get the go kart track out to have a play with. 

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It can be an expensive business providing activities for others to do in SL. 

Yes, very much so... and no, not at all. :) It depends on what your goal is to do. If you're doing a region-sized playground then it is very expensive and traffic is important (as the traffic determines ability to sell booths to vendor-renters to help support the costs and all that stuff). I remember when I had an estate with as many as four regions at one time and though the costs weren't stressful, they were *always* on my mind, constantly.

Now I have a nice 2050-something m2 on mainland, so no tier costs whatsoever (covered through Premium land-use fee waivers) and I make it open to anyone and everyone - it's a Rez zone with 60 minute auto-return, there are a couple cars anyone can jump into and drive around, an easy-to-fly helicopter to take out, and even a Teeglepet Horse razzed for anyone in the mood. Heck, I've even thrown in a PG-rated cuddle furniture in the back room.

I also have set-up *interactive* Animesh Non-Player characters you can role-play with if you're feeling bored and it shows how Animesh can be used is amazing ways. :)

At the same time, though: I'm not looking for popularity, I don't bother putting it into search for $L30 each week or advertise it in any way, other than in my profile picks. I figure what the heck? If someone drives past and stop to have a little exploration then great. If not, no skin off my nose. It's just my little contribution to the community, even if only one in thousands even bothers to explore it.

So in the end, it's really whatever your motivations are and what you end-goal is. If you want to go for popular, go big. In my case, at this time, I'm just feeling philanthropic. 

• Like 1

Seductive Roads (North and South) are two Regions connected by an extensive road system that goes up to 3000m, with a wide variety of landscapes and settings to explore, there are a few adult areas, racetracks, dancing, galleries, bars. Near the landing spot at ground level is a board listing over a hundred biking sims open to the public to go exploring as well.Near the galleries there is a portal to my Snug Harbor parcel for chess, sailing places and hanging out along with portals to my gallery and other sailing places.

• Like 1

One interesting activity is flying, not as a pilot but a passenger. I used to do this all the time, I was a member of a group that sent out notices when someone was going to fly thier plane, then you could TP to the airport and ride along. Quite often I would end up falling out of the plane at some point, but I discovered some really cool things and met some interesting people in the process.

Edited by Talligurl

On 9/20/2019 at 10:24 AM, Talligurl said:

One interesting activity is flying, not as a pilot but a passenger

dunno if anyone is still doing this, but a few years ago estates like Caledon had airliners that flew between airports on a regular schedule. We would go to the terminal and wait for the plane, when it said boarding then like a really airliner, walk out onto the tarmac, up the stairs into the passenger section and take a seat. Then the plane would leave at the scheduled time and fly itself (with fake pilot prop model at the controls) to the destination airport

i can't remember now the name of the estate but on their airliners then after sitting in coach we could upgrade to first-class for 1L$. We got moved to a seat in first class and it gave you better food/drink attachments. Wine instead of beer, etc. Was pretty cool

Edited by Mollymews
tpyo

On 9/16/2019 at 10:57 PM, Alyona Su said:

Now I have a nice 2050-something m2 on mainland, so no tier costs whatsoever (covered through Premium land-use fee waivers) and I make it open to anyone and everyone - it's a Rez zone with 60 minute auto-return, there are a couple cars anyone can jump into and drive around, an easy-to-fly helicopter to take out, and even a Teeglepet Horse razzed for anyone in the mood. Heck, I've even thrown in a PG-rated cuddle furniture in the back room.

I also have set-up *interactive* Animesh Non-Player characters you can role-play with if you're feeling bored and it shows how Animesh can be used is amazing ways. :)

I've made one of my waterfront places that is near an infohub similarly welcoming, and it has bumper boats and bicycles that people can use to explore the surrounding area. I get most of my fun stuff from Culprit but I would love to know where to get more. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I've made one of my waterfront places that is near an infohub similarly welcoming, and it has bumper boats and bicycles that people can use to explore the surrounding area. I get most of my fun stuff from Culprit but I would love to know where to get more. 

For the cars I use Manji because you can set access to owner, group, or everyone and the newer mesh models will also auto-delete when a guest finishes with it. For the horses I use the TeeglePet Rezzer, and for my helicopter I use an S&W. The rezzes for the cars and helicopter I use this one: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Vehicle-Sensor-Rezzer/17967895

What I do is Rez a car (or helicopter) set the permissions and features I want, then take it back into inventory, drop it into that rezzer, then position where desired. Unlike other rezzers, it will rez the object, then keep checking for the object's presence. If the object is missing (someone drives it away) then it rezzes a new one. I have mine set to check every minute or so.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For jet skiing, Miami Beach...been awhile since I have been there.

DaVinci Gardens for going up the slopes in a ski lift and then sledding down the mountain.  I don't know if DaVinci has this currently...but since snow season is near upon us, it may be up soon.  I visited last year and it was fun going up the ski lift.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.