Viewer bandwidth use

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since I upgraded my connection, a few months ago, I've had about 6 times the internet bandwidth, and it makes a big difference to viewer performance. But the viewer feels greedy: it is frequently using all the available bandwidth. Some high-bandwidth apps have options to set a limit, so I can download things like video files in the background, without affecting routine uses such as web browsing.

Second Life isn't a background app, but it routinely uses a lot of resources, such as virtual memory, as well as the internet bandwidth. I know that some of the huge numbers come from multiple pointers to the same read-only address-space, but there isn't the get-out for the bandwidth numbers I see.

My brother's been here this week, and every so often he complains that the internet connection is falling over. It's when I am connected to Second Life.

I am digging through stuff about controlling things on my computer, and the VDSL modem/router box that provides the connection, but with all the bits and pieces that viewers use, including multiple copies of SLPlugin and Dullahan, it's a struggle. Is there any bandwidth throttle/limiter setting in the Viewer itself, even something buried in the debug settings?

Or is the viewer really the tangled uncontrollable mess that I reckon I am seeing?

Since the switch to HTTP there is no more direct way to control the bandwidth usage. The old bandwidth setting does nothing now and the only way i could think of "limiting" the bandwidth would be playing with fetching options and lowering concurrent fetches (for meshes, not sure if there are settings for other things)... that is if that setting even works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.