HUD NOT WORKING

Marina Urvilan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello and thanks to those who will answer me. Sorry for the English, I use a translator.
The question is simple, no HUD works for me. I've tried every piece of advice you've given in previous posts. 
I use Firestorm, but also with the official one, I have the same problem.
When I attach a hud, any, sometimes I don't load it at all, other times I load it after 5/10 minutes and even when it has loaded it doesn't work. And if it decides to work, it changes the color or other after entire minutes. Every now and then I see a warning, at the top right, that the hud contains too big / heavy scripts and that it may slow down the operation. Frankly, I don't know what to do anymore

The message that appears at the top right of the screen, specifically says that.
Hypnose Miley HUD (worn on center) 
contains many large textures. It probably affects performance negatively.

The name of the HUD is just one example. I've been in SL for 11 years and I've never had a problem like this before.

Sometimes that's what I get too:
Name Hud: ERROR - Communication time out: touch to retry

Edited by Marina Urvilan

20 answers to this question

The warning message about scripts can be ignored.  Just remember to detach the HUD when you're through using it to customize your avatar.

HUDs working very slowly is a symptom of lag, or a poor internet connection.  Try using the HUD while you are at some elevation above 1000m.  There is usually much less lag at high altitudes.

If that does not improve things, then see this article for things to investigate: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning the fact that you are using a translator.  I think it may have mis-translated an important word ....

32 minutes ago, Marina Urvilan said:

When I attack a hud, any, sometimes I don't charge it at all, other times I charge it after 5/10 minutes and even when it has loaded it doesn't work.

What do you mean by the word "charge"?  Exactly what are you doing to the HUD?  Come to think of it, what do you mean by "attack" in this context?  How are you "attacking" the HUD?  Do you mean "attach"?

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification.  It's very unusual for a HUD to take time to "load."  When a HUD or any other scripted object is rezzed or worn, it arrives with the script running.  It might be scripted to restart as it arrives, but restarting a script is almost instantaneous.  There's essentially nothing to "load".  Having said that, I should also say that a running script can run slowly and inefficiently, especially if the region's servers are busy doing other things.  The region's servers allocate resources and time in order of priority, and scripts always have the lowest priority.  You may simply be in a region that is very busy or where the servers are inefficient.

One easy way to find out is to look at your Statistic Report (CTRL + Shift + 1) .   Look at the sections on Simulator and Time:

6cb90301385a397567a45a0c9075a289.png

If your region's Time Dilation is much below 1.0 or Sim FPS is much below 45, your servers are dealing with a challenge.   You will notice that Spare Time may drop to zero and that Script Time may disappear too, which would account for why your HUDs are slow to respond.  As you examine the report, you can see possibly what is causing the problem (Lots of avatars on the region?  Lots of physical objects, like vehicles? )  If not, the server itself may need to be restarted.  Ask your region's owner or Linden Lab to restart the region.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If your region's Time Dilation is much below 1.0 of Sim FPS is much below 45, your servers are dealing with a challenge

Time Deletion 0.937 Sim FPS  42.2 

Spare Time 0.002 ms Script Time 7.924 ms

The problem of hud does it to me wherever I go.

Edited by Marina Urvilan

OK, so time dilation is not critical and you still have a reasonable server FPS,  The fact that you have almost no spare time, however, is serious. What that tells me is that the region is very busy and that the servers are starting to struggle.   Look at the other things that are putting demands on server time.  The usual suspects are avatars and physical objects.  Those are particularly problematic if there are people constantly coming and going (teleporting or flying/walking into the region) or if they are rezzing things a lot.  Temp rezzers are a special problem, because rezzing always makes the servers stall momentarily.  

You said that 

22 minutes ago, Marina Urvilan said:

The problem of hud does it to me wherever I go.

Is that true no matter where you go, or just when you go to other busy regions?  If you go to someplace very quiet like Furball, what happens?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Don't dismiss the possibility of a poor internet connection.  Your internet may work just fine for other purposes, but still be giving problems with Second Life.  I encourage you to investigate your connection by working through the things in Nalates' blog post.

I did. I did. I checked everything in the post you gave me. No problems with connections

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes.  It is an almost unoccupied region.  There's absolutely nothing happening there, so the servers should have no competition for running your HUDs.

😮You're a genius🤩...I love you😍...it's okay here. Hud works. Only a couple of hud I had to take off and  attach again. But everything is fluid and fast. But does it depend on me or on the region where I am or on both?

• Like 2

You've eliminated the viewer, by trying more than one.  You've eliminated your internet connection, by checking the possible problem areas there.  Getting better performance in a different region would seem to point to the region as the problem, but there are two other experiments you can try.

• Try using an alt, a different Second Life account.  Does the problem also occur with that one?
  • Try logging in to SL from a different computer, preferably also in a different location and using a different internet provider.  Do you still get the problem?
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marina Urvilan said:

But does it depend on me or on the region where I am or on both?

The problem is the region where you have been using the HUDs.  It is simply too busy.  As I noted earlier, the fact that there is no spare time remaing tells me that the servers in that region are spending 100% of their time doing things that are more important than making your HUDs run.  You will have that problem whenever you go to a region that is very busy, like a shopping mall or a concert venue.  Linden Lab decided many many years ago that it was more important to make sure that avatars can move and communicate than for scripts to run.  If resources are scarce, scripts lose.  They slow down until other activity decreases.

There are not many things that you can do, other than moving to a different region. As Lindal suggested, performance may improve when you are high in the sky, because texture rendering and local chat are less competition when you are away from the busy ground level.  The servers are still busy moving avatars and vehicles, though, and are stalling every time anyone rezzes an object anywhere on the region.  You can't avoid that.  At least now you know why you are having the problem, though.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:
  • Try using an alt, a different Second Life account.  Does the problem also occur with that one?
  • Try logging in to SL from a different computer, preferably also in a different location and using a different internet provider.  Do you still get the problem?

I do not have an ALT, and at the moment I can not get into sl by another connection/internet provider. But surely they are attempts that I will make as soon as I can. Thanks

Yes, I did the final test. Same dress with same hud. In my skybox nothing works, at furball everything works. In my skybox spare time 0.002, here at furball 21.416. Absurd!!!!

I'm sorry, I don't know how to tag you here. Thank you very much to both of you. You were patient, very kind and very competent. Thank you, thank you, thank you😍😍😍

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Marina, don't move just yet!  If you are on a private estate, contact the estate manager and ask for a region re-start.  If you live on the mainland, you can use Live Chat to ask LL to re-start the region.

Restarts can often clear up problems.

On entering SL last night, I discovered that my husband had the same problem with the hud. So we sent a notecard to the owner of the region. We wait to see if it solves it. Thanks 😊😊

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.