Firestorm and BoM?

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, WolfBaginski Bearsfoot said:

This has been pretty fast work by the Firestorm team, faster than I expected, though I am not sure that Bakes-on-Mesh does anything worthwhile for me. I suppose we shall have to wait for creators now.

Unless you are using Slink and update to the Redux version the only thing a BoM viewer does is make those wearing BoM stuff render correctly.

As designers include the use of BoM in products and more people use them we should all see a performance improvement, especially at events with lots of avatars. The Slink Redux body reduces the number of attachments. Hands, feet, and body are one attachment. There is a version with separate body, feet, and hands but that is for those that for some reason want to use another brand of feet or hands. I think the BIG improvement is the reduction in script weight and count. Redux drops my script weight by about 2MB.

There currently is a BoM kludge for existing heads and bodies, the BoM-Applier. One can continue using their non-BoM onion skin bodies and heads and apply the BoM skin layer to the skin layer of the onion skin body/head. The problem is this approach while handy and cheap does not improve one's ACI as it is hoped BoM will. Fortunately, designers are releasing free upgrades to BoM bodies... well Slink did and others are likely to follow along. So, only the cost of new tats and skins are likely to be a cost issue holding people back.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

As far as for alpha testers that's what all the people who self compile do. Testing just about each and every new untested changeset that gets pushed out to the codebase. Sometimes on an hourly basis on all three platforms. To the devs, were either helpful or sometimes completely annoying to them.

Edited by MarissaOrloff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.