Why is Editing Objects Messed Up?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is this related to Windows 10 issues?

A number of strange things have gone on for days, persisting through the latest new patch pushed, that have disrupted the way "edit" mode on objects used to work. I have no idea whether these are bugs or features.

I've noticed that I can no longer edit at a distance. It used to be if I tried to edit a large build in a sandbox, or went into edit to put a lot of pieces in a build in the yellow box, this could be done while flying quite high above the build so as to see it all. I could also move things from a distance, even on the next sim. Now this is all gone. Nothing budges. I have to come up very close to the item to get it to move or link, and that means not seeing the whole of it. More and more, I find that because of this nuisance, I can't delete everything I've rezzed, and it comes back to me later from Dev Linden, or I miss things I'm trying to link.

Another annoyance: The items highlight as a default, which is super annoying because the highlight obliterates the object so you can't see it to edit it precisely. So you have to keep unchecking the highlighting to get rid of it on each log-on.

Of course there's the perennial nuisance of the edit window opening up DIRECTLY over the thing you're trying to edit, which is just damn insane. Yes, this happens. No, pushing the tear sheet away doesn't work even throughout one log-on session, it keeps coming back.

And now here's something odd -- you are editing, and you are now forced to see the property lines in yellow, even though you do NOT have property lines checked off to view (and they would show in aqua for group land, for example, not yellow. This is damn weird -- who needs property lines to show while editing an object?! I've never seen this "innovation" before. Whose idea was this???  You don't need to have it highlighted to show it in space, you can already see it on the XYZ object and see where it is situated inworld, it's just distracting and odd to have these lines shining through.

The view of the XYZ axis has also changed in the way the lines extend out.

It's not just me seeing this, but some tenants have reported it, too.

Why?

I can't imagine why Lindens would put this in deliberately. But I do think that with more people building mesh outside of SL, they don't care what happens with the editing tools inworld and can't be bothered by them, whether they are buggy or not.

I've also noticed more bugginess with sculpties. They prevent avatars from walking by them unless put on phantom. But then the phantom will cause it's own problems with walking through walls or falling through floors, obviously. This necessitates putting in an invisible prim to cure it. One builder told me this is caused by "lag," and that if I just put the item in question in "edit," I will be able to walk through the hidden obstacle. I don't experience lag. Nothing on the lag meter or scene performance shows lag. Yet I have these strange sculpty obstacles, as do others, with or without lag. Having to fix walking problems by always having to right-click and go into edit mode to cure a thing isn't a solution.

And finally, here's an odd thing that has happened for months, who knows to what it is related. I log on, and there is nothing. No messages, notecards, groups, nothing. That's odd, as usually I do have a number of items from tenants. My messages do not "cap" because I link the account to email and I do get messages in email. If I right click on any nearby object, and select "block" then "unblock," all of a sudden, all the messages, landmarks, and notecards come pouring in. How could these things possibly be related? Yet they are. It has gotten so I must make a routine of this now -- blocking and unblocking a wall or chair in order to "force in" the messages. I have to make sure to unblock it or I've blocked my own objects sometimes trying to send me notices, i.e. a rental box or something. Insane stuff. These things shouldn't be connected, yet they are.

23 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I've also noticed more bugginess with sculpties. They prevent avatars from walking by them unless put on phantom. But then the phantom will cause it's own problems with walking through walls or falling through floors, obviously. This necessitates putting in an invisible prim to cure it. One builder told me this is caused by "lag," and that if I just put the item in question in "edit," I will be able to walk through the hidden obstacle. I don't experience lag. Nothing on the lag meter or scene performance shows lag. Yet I have these strange sculpty obstacles, as do others, with or without lag. Having to fix walking problems by always having to right-click and go into edit mode to cure a thing isn't a solution.

I can't explain why right-clicking would change anything, but sculpts are -- physically speaking -- just spheres, no matter what shape they are visually. Imagine that your sculpt was the letter 'T', you wouldn't be able to walk under it because the empty space is blocked by the sculpt's collision shape.

I can't comment on the rest because I don't know if these could be viewer-specific issues or more connection problems that you seem to have consistently, based on other problems you've posted here about.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If I right click on any nearby object, and select "block" then "unblock," all of a sudden, all the messages, landmarks, and notecards come pouring in.

That's interesting. I'll have to try that the next time the "no messages" thing happens on login, which is something that I've seen intermittently for ages. The block/unblock workaround is interesting in that it seems to be correcting for a login that wasn't quite complete in the "Presence" system, the magic that knows how to IM the viewer no matter where it's located in-world, and keeps track of whether or not an account is in-world at all.

(Wulfie's right, sculpts have never had useful physics shapes, so they've always needed to be phantom -- or have their Physics Shape Type set to "None" if linked, which can be risky anyway because sculpts are apt to double in Land Impact when linked. I haven't noticed any of the editor changes myself, so I got nothin' there.)

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

And now here's something odd -- you are editing, and you are now forced to see the property lines in yellow, even though you do NOT have property lines checked off to view (and they would show in aqua for group land, for example, not yellow. This is damn weird -- who needs property lines to show while editing an object?! I've never seen this "innovation" before. Whose idea was this???  You don't need to have it highlighted to show it in space, you can already see it on the XYZ object and see where it is situated inworld, it's just distracting and odd to have these lines shining through

to turn off the yellow parcel selection lines, we have to right-click Edit the object, then right-click on it again. Is some kinda selection bug I think

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The view of the XYZ axis has also changed in the way the lines extend out.

I didnt notice that, but somethingt else:  I am still able to edit and move my items when im about 200 meters away from them. But while im dragging it, the movement stops after a distance of about 50-100 meters.  Like if the object is hitting hitting an invisible wall. I have to release the mouse button and have to click once more on one of the arrows to move it any further.
Its a workaround, but its annoying. And i cant remember it has been that way before.

27 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

But while im dragging it, the movement stops after a distance of about 50-100 meters. 

Oh yeah, I too definitely noticed that in the Linden viewer when I switched back to it to use BoM... but it had been a while and I thought maybe I'd lost some setting that overrides a constraint, and then forgot to look into it further. There's something amiss there if you're seeing it too.

Okay, this is interesting.  Some of these things I wrote up as bugs during the Viewer 2 closed beta:

The parcel border lighting in yellow when selecting an object;

The object in edit highlighting green, blue and yellow and strobing maniacally;

Not being able to edit something of mine as far away as I am accustomed to, even when "limit select distance" is disabled;

No longer able to edit move objects more than about 100 meters at a time. 

Edit axis arrows not being grabbable at times requiring me to move my point of view as if evading an invisible object in the way.

Toolboxes not staying where I put them, seeming like small children vying for my attention.

50 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Yes, it's annoyed me for a while, but it isn't just the LL viewer does it. It does stop you shooting objects indavertently into adjacent regions though :)

If would be happy about a similar function when its about rezzing things on the ground. its not often, but sometimes my objects are rezzed into the ground. If i dont cam and check it, its there for weeks and months and i wonder, where all my prims went :)

And now you wish you had these fancy selection outlines too.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:41 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Another annoyance: The items highlight as a default, which is super annoying because the highlight obliterates the object so you can't see it to edit it precisely. So you have to keep unchecking the highlighting to get rid of it on each log-on.

unknown.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.