Emojis in Second Life?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On Windows 10, you can press the Windows key and a period (Win .) to bring up a built-in emoji picker. Works anywhere, here on the forum and in-world.

The appearance of each emoji depends mostly on just the specific font that's being used. (🍆 can look different in your browser vs your phone vs someone else's phone.)
376cb36695.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

No thanks

😃💎🐛 .... hi smiling diamond caterpillar ... as name?( because enough residents will go do that).... shoot me please.

I don't think anyone is asking for them to be used in user names or display names, just in chat. They can already use the ASCII characters for that.

I can see how emojis in SL chat would mirror what we are familiar with in other chat programs and mobile apps. In that sense, I think it would work because we're not adding an unknown new chat feature. Emojis are proven to work. On the other hand, SL is a virtual world that has actual avatars with faces that can show emotions. We can use gestures to convey a wide range of emotions. However, this doesn't work out well because in 3rd-person view our cameras are focused at our back and we don't see faces up close. This is similar to many MMOGs where you only see full body gestures. SL might want to try the method used in Japanese RPGs where both chat text and a face closeup are shown at the same time during a conversation. The face presented during the conversation shows the emotion. If we could somehow have that in SL I think it would work better than emojis. 

Edited by Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.