MissSweetViolet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ever since about June, I have been having issues logging in to second life on the official Linden Labs viewer. I spend on average 20 minutes trying to log in every time I come on. I will usually ether have it log me out immediately on getting into the game, it'll log me in, but underwater, and I can't TP or do anything, or it'll stall on the log in screen till I force quit it, eventually I will manage to log in, but it takes forever. Some days are worse then others. Ever since the most recent update, I have also started to have the TP log out issue again, though not as bad as it use to be.

Here is my info from the about SL section:

Second Life Release 6.3.1.530559 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 201.0, 126.0, 24.9 in Hippo Hollow located at sim10204.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.49.70:13017)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hippo Hollow/201/126/25
(global coordinates 238,281.0, 244,862.0, 24.9)
Second Life Server 2019-08-29T20:20:39.530516
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics     (1796.62 MHz)
Memory: 5055 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134.1006)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R3 Graphics

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 15.201.1101.0
OpenGL Version: 4.2.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1101.0

Window size: 1175x719
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 64m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1
Render quality: 0
Advanced Lighting Model: Disabled
Texture memory: 192MB
VFS (cache) creation time: August 17 2019 10:08:25

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 2/480 (0.4%)
September 11 2019 09:57:25

Edited by MissSweetViolet

21 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Ever since about June, I have been having issues logging in to second life on the official Linden Labs viewer. I spend on average 20 minutes trying to log in every time I come on. I will usually ether have it log me out immediately on getting into the game, it'll log me in, but underwater, and I can't TP or do anything, or it'll stall on the log in screen till I force quit it, eventually I will manage to log in, but it takes forever. Some days are worse then others. Ever since the most recent update, I have also started to have the TP log out issue again, though not as bad as it use to be.

Most likely your problem is actually something wrong with the connectivity between you and the servers (if you have a Windows or third party firewall active on your system that may be contributing). I suggest that the next time you experience a problem, save your viewer log file and contact Support to help diagnose the problem. 

2 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

Most likely your problem is actually something wrong with the connectivity between you and the servers (if you have a Windows or third party firewall active on your system that may be contributing). I suggest that the next time you experience a problem, save your viewer log file and contact Support to help diagnose the problem. 

Okay, thank you. How do I save the viewer log file though?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so from the bug report, I got this reply.

Hello MissSweetViolet,

Jira is not for 1:1 personal technical support and is therefore not able to provide one to one support in a timely manner. That said, I know Oz directed you to file a Support Case from the forums and it appears you found your way to our Bug Reporting system.

We can see that you have been logged in recently, were able to teleport around and had lengthy logged in session. Hopefully this means your issue has resolved itself or you have found a workaround.

As you can see Whirly has taken the time to inspect your log file and has pointed out that you have a very slow log in for uncertain reasons. Though quite possible it is due to the size of your inventory.

Please contact our support team and ask them to "deflatten" your inventory but do listen to their caveats about this process. Refer them to this BUG-227627 as well for confirmation.

You may contact support directly at https://support.secondlife.com/ and choose from either Submitting a Support Case, Live Chat or Phone Support depending on your account type.

Thanks!

I'm not sure flattening is, the issue. I only have about 80k items, which are in many different folders, which friends have told me shouldn't be enough to mess me up. Also, my sister has this issue as well, and she has next to nothing in her inventory. Would have updated the ticket, but they closed it before I could even get a word in to ask. It's worth noting too, that While I have trouble getting in, usually once I AM in, I am usually stable, so that lengthy login means nothing for this issue. I'll try using the link, but this is getting absurd to me.

Edited by MissSweetViolet

4 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Okay, so from the bug report, I got this reply.

I'm not sure flattening is, the issue. I only have about 80k items, which are in many different folders, which friends have told me shouldn't be enough to mess me up. Also, my sister has this issue as well, and she has next to nothing in her inventory. Would have updated the ticket, but they closed it before I could even get a word in to ask. It's worth noting too, that While I have trouble getting in, usually once I AM in, I am usually stable, so that lengthy login means nothing for this issue. I'll try using the link, but this is getting absurd to me.

You definitely  need your inventory deflattened.
It's not so much the number of items in your inventory that causes the problem, it's how flat your inventory structure is.
From  the 2 session logs you posted on the JIRA, the "Creating inventory views" from cache stage of login takes 44 seconds for one session & just under a minute for the other session.
This is far too slow & your login timed out both times.
When creating inventory views takes this long, your inventory structure is too flat.
You have roughly 1 minute to get fully logged in from clicking the login button or your login is either going to time out & totally fail or you'll appear to get logged in but it actually timed out & you'll get disconnected shortly after login completed, or you'll end up in a weird half logged in state where you won't get disconnected (unless you try & change regions) but you'll be stuck in that underwater void you mentioned above.

There are other odd things happening in those session logs you posted too though.
The other stages of your login before creating inventory views is also super slow, so slow that you're still at some risk of a login timeout even if creating inventory views was instant.
Also, I don't think your texture memory limit is being calculated correctly.

Start off by getting support to deflatten your inventory though & then see how things are.
If you are a premium member, contact Live Chat & ask them to deflatten your inventory & point them to this forum post & your JIRA issue.
If you are a basic member then file a support ticket & ask the same: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000131009-contact-support

Don't be afraid to get your inventory deflattened, it's fine & works really well.
I've had it done myself which knocked 30 seconds off my login time.

As a work around before you get deflattened, you can clear your viewer cache before each login.  Creating inventory views is instant on a clean inventory cache.
To do this on the LL viewer, launch the viewer to the login screen & in the top menu bar go to Me -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Click the "Clear cache" button.
Then restart the viewer & login - your cache will be wiped after the viewer restarts.
Once you have been deflattened you don't need to clear cache any more.

See how things are once you've been deflattened & then come back here & tell us if you are still having problems.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.