Jump to content
xenoqc

Where to start?

Recommended Posts

Hello! Thank you for viewing my Topic :)

 

I do not know where to pot neither how to talk about it but I am going to do my best. I have just bought a 1/4 or a region they call I think. It is pretty interesting but I would never need such a big area for myself. So I have divided the land into multiple parcels on which I have place prefab buildings. Some stores, shops and office. Many people would start a rental business with this and I have been thinking of it but this is not the reason why I pay the monthly fee lol.

 

I remember being blocked out with no way to go anywhere, no home or no spot to start my business and have a TP location to give or a landmark. Well I do not mind spending money every month because anyway I am unemployed and have all my time! I want to help the community and offer parcels for free to install something commercial. I am trying to start a project but I have no idea how to get some new friends to join. For sure it will not be really hard to find people that want a free little parcel for their own use [...]

 

But I want to be sure I will not get exploited also, some guy with enough money to start itself leeching my resource...

 

I need to find good people that want to get started but that they can't for any reason. It is a community project.

 

I have no idea how to find people in game because I am a newb! I created this account 4 years ago but never played! I started like a month ago...

 

I am looking to make friends and contact among the market and give a chance to someone who can't without it.

 

Hoping I will find honest people to fill the land and grow bigger.

 

If anyone has any idea how I can help myself IM me ingame (I am not on the forum pretty much)

Yokor

Xenoqc resident

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good on you :)

posting here is a good start.  Am pretty sure you will get quite a few people happy to set up a little shop on your parcel. Can't say better than free rent

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xenoqc said:

Well I do not mind spending money every month [...] and have all my time! I want to help the community and offer parcels for free

Your situation and ambitions are ideal for creating beautiful and fun things in SL!

Have lots of fun with your endeavor. Even though, unfortunately, I haven't got the time to participate in your project, I'm actually interested in how your land will develop over time. I hope you keep us posted here with screenshots and stories.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have divided the land in like 16+ parcels giving a little spot with some limited possibilities but this is not meant for profitable business. It is meant to help some people getting their own vendors or shop/office to send a landmark or TP. It is just to be given as a "starter". I am experimenting this but to see how it will work out and if it does or not I need people to join but I don't want people doing okay and that they can afford their own rental.

 

I am thinking of building a community of social people that want to participate in a community development project. But for the people that do not have money to afford a parcel with a commercial building on it. Every single available spot is on its own divided parcel with control over the music using a group access radio streamer. The created group will give privileges on the parcel like many people do with rental. My worry is to be exploited by commercial opportunist that will just jump on  the good of a free space to install commercial activities.

 

Some people would be asking themselves "why would someone do that?"

 

Well I feel lonely and I have a bit of money, I founded an association and I want to host it on my land that should be filled with people and social interraction. Capital social... I am not looking for money I am spending it so my mission get started. I want to find candidates that have potential in second life and need their own parcel to develop it accordingly.

I believe in love and connection between the people and I want to see this belief of a connected world that is standing differences out of judgementalism. I am open to anything and I want to build a sub-community that will provide "community services" within the land. For an exemple:

 

Imagine a digital artist that does digital painting and want to build a gallery but do not have the money to invest to get started. Then I offer a parcel where they can install and start their gallery and have people visiting because they now have a space on the map to share landmarks to TP to their gallery.

 

It could be someone wanting to open a cafe or a bistro. I could even see someone running my church lol!

 

This is mainly to make some people have a fun they would not have normally access. I mean I got to have a 1/4 for myself and I want to share it for no charge so just I am not alone on it to enjoy being installed somewhere and I am thinking of others that would like the same while they cannot  :)

 

If you know anyone good and active that could use a parcel for commercial purpose tell them I am going to start opening space soon and enterring a project as its pilot stage is always a good opportunity ^^

 

message me In game because I don't stay much around forums but eh I will try to upload pictures!

 

 

Yokor

(xenoqc resident)

 

Snapshot01_001.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have encounter an issue with the system I want to use for the "anti-inactive" measures. You know if I offer a parcel to someone that just log off and never show again after building a store and that they don't own the land and are not premium... I can lose spots with someone that is not even playing while another one actively playing could have it. So I was thinking of using casperlet with 0L$ charge that they would have to keep at 4 weeks so I know they are still around but the thing is that casperlet does not support the price of 0L$ ...

 

My system that I have right now does not allow free space :(

 

I would have to charge 1L$/week

 

Of course I could have a refund system or just give them the linden if they don't have it?

 

I have associate with me for further projects and interests and the property is shared with a club and a church.

 

 

Snapshot01_008.jpg

Snapshot01_009.jpg

Snapshot01_010.jpg

Snapshot01_011.jpg

Snapshot01_012.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@xenoqc,

It is very generous of you to offer starter spaces to people for free!  I have a few suggestions...

  • The idea of using Casperlet as a way to keep track of your residents is an excellent one.  Don't worry too much that the system won't let you set the rent at $L0.  Anyone can manage to get $L1, or even $L10, per week!  People will appreciate their starter space more, if they have to pay a small amount for it.
  • Casperlet includes a prim counter.  You can use this to help your residents and yourself keep track, and tell when somebody is using more than their share of prims.
  • You will never be able to tell whether a person "could" afford to pay for their own place, or is truly one of the "deserving poor".  You will simply have to offer your places to everyone, and hope the ones who take you up on your offer are the ones who really do need it.
  • Don't forget landscaping.  Besides the actual buildings, you'll want to put in some trees and bushes, and maybe streets or pathways between the buildings.
    • Since you're an alien, maybe you'd like to decorate your land with some invading flying saucers!  I've seen this done at another place, and it was good, whimsical fun.
  • Right now, your land has buildings with many different styles.  Some variation is good, you don't want everything to look the same.  At the same time, you should try for a more unified "look", a basic overall theme.  Or, you could go completely the other way...just have parcels of bare land, and let your residents build whatever they want on them.  I prefer the themed approach myself...the other way leads to a very chaotic looking area.
  • Be prim conscious.  You'll have to strike a balance between creating a very beautiful, detailed build and leaving enough prims for your residents to use.
  • Advertise your land.  Here is a blog post with some ideas of how to do that: http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2019/06/ads-ads-ads.html
Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@xenoqc,

It is very generous of you to offer starter spaces to people for free!  I have a few suggestions...

  • The idea of using Casperlet as a way to keep track of your residents is an excellent one.  Don't worry too much that the system won't let you set the rent at $L0.  Anyone can manage to get $L1, or even $L10, per week!  People will appreciate their starter space more, if they have to pay a small amount for it.
  • Casperlet includes a prim counter.  You can use this to help your residents and yourself keep track, and tell when somebody is using more than their share of prims.
  • You will never be able to tell whether a person "could" afford to pay for their own place, or is truly one of the "deserving poor".  You will simply have to offer your places to everyone, and hope the ones who take you up on your offer are the ones who really do need it.
  • Don't forget landscaping.  Besides the actual buildings, you'll want to put in some trees and bushes, and maybe streets or pathways between the buildings.
    • Since you're an alien, maybe you'd like to decorate your land with some invading flying saucers!  I've seen this done at another place, and it was good, whimsical fun.
  • Right now, your land has buildings with many different styles.  Some variation is good, you don't want everything to look the same.  At the same time, you should try for a more unified "look", a basic overall theme.  Or, you could go completely the other way...just have parcels of bare land, and let your residents build whatever they want on them.  I prefer the themed approach myself...the other way leads to a very chaotic looking area.
  • Be prim conscious.  You'll have to strike a balance between creating a very beautiful, detailed build and leaving enough prims for your residents to use.
  • Advertise your land.  Here is a blog post with some ideas of how to do that: http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2019/06/ads-ads-ads.html

Thank you very much!

I do not want to decorate too much since it is something I will be doing with the people that will join. I have a bunch of spaceship but I am not invading so I will keep them away. I do not want those who aren't comfortable with it to walk away... I am a moderator in a UFO forum (aliendisc.net) and I can tell that many people are scared of aliens or to be abducted IRL. It is a good set up for a sci fi oriented thematic but for the purpose of giving space to people that might not be into it...

The idea is to keep it neutral and since the whole land is divided in parcels that will be (or not) decorated by its guest, I will be waiting to see what decoration is actually fitting this service before I spend a whole lot money for stuff that I will have to remove accordingly to a guest and the needs they have to start their business.

 

There is one area that will be to be decorated and it is the entrance in the park. I still, yes totally, want some alien set up but I want it immersive to the dominant human being around Second Life and they prefere human like environment. For this business I will put the alien thematic for sure on my land but I will keep it discreet :)

The purpose of having different buildings is to host difference. I want differences to get along other differences. Some people are looking for a style that other people are not and I want to welcome as many different people as possible. The purpose of the Alien Connection Association is to link up people that normally would have not because of differences. In this project I got different sizes and styles to fit different people. The land is not oriented to provide a decorative environment, it is to provide a service.

 

I started this land 2-3 days ago so a lot will change in the future and this work in still at an early stage. This is the pilot project, my prototype :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yokor, I applaud you for wanting to create a small community of people just getting started in business in SL. Qa'pla!

I just wish you'd been around a couple of months ago before I was made an offer (much like yours) that I couldn't refuse. However, when it comes time to "open shop" and you are still offering to help (and have space available) I just might take you up on it.

Say hello to Thor and Hermoid for me! I miss those two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xenoqc said:

Hello! Thank you for viewing my Topic :)

 

I do not know where to pot neither how to talk about it but I am going to do my best. I have just bought a 1/4 or a region they call I think. It is pretty interesting but I would never need such a big area for myself. So I have divided the land into multiple parcels on which I have place prefab buildings. Some stores, shops and office. Many people would start a rental business with this and I have been thinking of it but this is not the reason why I pay the monthly fee lol.

 

I remember being blocked out with no way to go anywhere, no home or no spot to start my business and have a TP location to give or a landmark. Well I do not mind spending money every month because anyway I am unemployed and have all my time! I want to help the community and offer parcels for free to install something commercial. I am trying to start a project but I have no idea how to get some new friends to join. For sure it will not be really hard to find people that want a free little parcel for their own use [...]

 

But I want to be sure I will not get exploited also, some guy with enough money to start itself leeching my resource...

 

I need to find good people that want to get started but that they can't for any reason. It is a community project.

 

I have no idea how to find people in game because I am a newb! I created this account 4 years ago but never played! I started like a month ago...

 

I am looking to make friends and contact among the market and give a chance to someone who can't without it.

 

Hoping I will find honest people to fill the land and grow bigger.

 

If anyone has any idea how I can help myself IM me ingame (I am not on the forum pretty much)

Yokor

Xenoqc resident

Make sure to put your parcels for rent in "search/places," it costs $30 a week but it is worth it. Most people come through search. Make the ad attractive with a nice picture and good, well-spelled copy.

Put a classifieds in, likely you will need to spend $1000 at least but try.

Put an add on the Marketplace with a $0 landmark.

Have a grand opening and announce it in the Events.

Don't spam groups, people hate that.

Don't put up a large, spinning sign above your property, that's not how it rents and only annoys neighbours whose good will you need for word-of-mouth.

Put ads on the forums in the appropriate section.

Don't be afraid to "go alien" if you think you can reach a market of people who like alien. But from my experience, they don't, so I only had it on one tiny corner of a property, and in the land preserve. Alien doesn't sell really.

 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Alien doesn't sell"?  Oh, come on, Prok!  What about...

Xenomorph-from-Alien-Covenant.jpg&f=1&nofb=1       oleg-egorov-screenshot002.jpg?1487260564    A238otMBqZ0m5BeTk82lnaEVFZ3.jpg     Day%252Bthe%252BEarth%252BStood%252BStill%252B2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1     maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1    

 

maxresdefault.jpg     close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-2-10242.jpg     best-spock-leonard-nimoy-star-trek-episodes-750x480.jpg&f=1&nofb=1     star_wars_woke_2.0.jpg&f=1&nofb=1     Independence-Day-Poster-3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think @Lindal Kidd  had some very good ideas. Personally I have had NO LUCK AT ALL with classified so no thumbs up on that from me.

 

You have some nice stores and perhaps residences there (I went over this morning) and lots of empty space around (abandoned) which is great. I do agree with Lindal though that some consistency would be better in the architecture.  The church and pergola really break the "immersion" and will likely through some folks off and away --- so something simple and low prim (and low lag) would be great. Again you picked out some nice structures.  

 

I have  a modern building that might fit in for your "church". Honestly something less church looking might be better anyway as there are many religions and not all have steepled churches.  :D  Anyway if you think this might have a place I will be glad to donate it to the project.     It isn't rezzed at the moment but I can rez it for you on my building pad.  Here is a picture. 

 

It comes with the planters with stylized flowers but there are an optional part. It has three "wings" so to speak.   

 

Also, I would suggest giving folks minimal prims (like 25 to 50 per shop) this way they can learn and have fun but it will likely help keep folks that are just trying to get free rent away a bit :D.    I hope this works out well for you.

 

 

2049113065_horizonhomevendor.thumb.png.27b281973f65b3e61559375aa318ee4b.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much everyone :D

I am listening to your adivces and will apply but not right away. I am not in a rush right now :P

 

For the church I was just into the sinister and it was not really planned to stay but I like have it there while there is no one. The building you have would feel really freshing for the church of the people. Where all prays are heard xD . I would be interested to see it really!

 

I really believe in this and it will be fun soon when it get started and I hope the word to be spread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish you all the very best for this endeavour.  It is possible to help people get started; I've done it myself over the years.  There are some who will try to use you but you can tell because they don't speak to you or they are never around except to use your place as somewhere to change.

May I come for a visit sometime?  I don't want to drop in when you're busy building. :) 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, xenoqc said:

T

 

For the church I was just into the sinister and it was not really planned to stay but I like have it there while there is no one. The building you have would feel really freshing for the church of the people. Where all prays are heard xD . I would be interested to see it really!

 

 

 

It is up here:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Trasimeno/27/83/606

 

And another thought. This has been done quite often in Opensim in the past. Most of those "free rentals" are two weeks at a "renting" so that you know there person taking the shop is still logging in. I have had one of those in Opensim and saw no problem at all checking in to reup my rental meter :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking of 4 weeks but now I think you are right, I will ask the tenants to keep it at 2 instead of 4. 4 is too long because it takes a month to boot someone out after they left without saying a word. I have visited the building and I love it! I would just have to take the dimension and see if I can organise my subdivisions to swap "churches"

 

I have a piece of land unused and I am still looking for ideas of what I could have there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I think @Lindal Kidd  had some very good ideas. Personally I have had NO LUCK AT ALL with classified so no thumbs up on that from me.

 

You have some nice stores and perhaps residences there (I went over this morning) and lots of empty space around (abandoned) which is great. I do agree with Lindal though that some consistency would be better in the architecture.  The church and pergola really break the "immersion" and will likely through some folks off and away --- so something simple and low prim (and low lag) would be great. Again you picked out some nice structures.  

 

I have  a modern building that might fit in for your "church". Honestly something less church looking might be better anyway as there are many religions and not all have steepled churches.  :D  Anyway if you think this might have a place I will be glad to donate it to the project.     It isn't rezzed at the moment but I can rez it for you on my building pad.  Here is a picture. 

 

It comes with the planters with stylized flowers but there are an optional part. It has three "wings" so to speak.   

 

Also, I would suggest giving folks minimal prims (like 25 to 50 per shop) this way they can learn and have fun but it will likely help keep folks that are just trying to get free rent away a bit :D.    I hope this works out well for you.

 

 

2049113065_horizonhomevendor.thumb.png.27b281973f65b3e61559375aa318ee4b.png

Dang... I'm gonna have to up my game a bit. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While there is no tenant I am having fun experimenting new things.

 

Snapshot01_016.jpg

Edited by xenoqc
Wrong file uploaded
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after trying out many things and taking advises, I have been choosing a building + parcel size that sounds to me fun and decent to leanr and grow.

I have listened that I removed some stuff and I have standardized the set up in the same building. First because different size and LI is not fair. Why would someone have 130 LI on a big building when another would have 30 in a small one. So I made it the way everyone will have the same and for the same price.

So it will be:

480m2  (20x24)  140LI    L$1/w

Right now I have 24 fair parcels and I just need to fix the ground because it is not flat [...]

I was thinking a lot about what I was told here and it was looking to be just more work to take those advises and it was actually more work and I still have to finish the reorganization. I am not scared to do big changes before I start seriously on the property. That is why I am on the forum, I want to hear from others and what they have to say matter. Especially when they know what they are talking about! If they do?

Whatever...

I really don't know anything about getting started in second life and generally speaking I have a lot more to wonder about and how the ding am I suppose to reach it? I am doing a lot of experimental work and it is fun! That is the matter.

So I want others to have that fun too especially when they cannot have it...

I have not yet remade an entrance but there is a reminder to visit! ^_^

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Malyshkin/149/137/40

New pictures for a new way to approach [...]

Snapshot01_017.jpg

Snapshot01_018.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the way you've left lots of room between the buildings instead of cramming them together side by side like most shopping center do. Open spaces are always more pleasing than wall to wall buildings.

When you get to the point of doing a bit of landscaping (and if you want full permission items) I highly recommend T-Spot. High quality meshes and textures at very reasonable prices.

Marketplace https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/46024

Inworld https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Warm Beach/56/153/22

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I am leaving room on every side of the building because I want the tenant to have space for their own set-up. Having a shop is nice especially at low price but what is better? Having a small yard with it!  :D At that point I think I will leave it like that but landscaping is costing LI so I might have to lower it down under the LI allowance posted before here. I just added a few tree and it dropped to 130LI avalaible on a parcel...

 

Hopefully it will not go more down than that because I really want my tenants to have at least 120LI to build their store!

 

So I think the structure of the project should be fine like that and offering 24 rental unit at $1L/w should help and be enough help. For now my casperlet are locked which is not good but I am scared to open them because the LI can still change but also because if I open 24 rental unit at $1L/w it could be easy for any troll to come by pay only 24$L to rent them all!

 

So Either I am unlocking casperlet one by one and unlock a new one when the one unlocked is taken but that point the tenant won't be able to chose... Or I put regular price and offer discounts to selected candidates?

 

I looked at the link  @Selene Gregoire and it is really interesting! I am for sure going to buy some landscaping for tonight but I am now starting to worry about the LI of a parcel. In the worst case, would 100LI be enough for commercial purpose on a 480m2?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, xenoqc said:

I have encounter an issue with the system I want to use for the "anti-inactive" measures. You know if I offer a parcel to someone that just log off and never show again after building a store and that they don't own the land and are not premium... I can lose spots with someone that is not even playing while another one actively playing could have it. So I was thinking of using casperlet with 0L$ charge that they would have to keep at 4 weeks so I know they are still around but the thing is that casperlet does not support the price of 0L$ ...

 

My system that I have right now does not allow free space :(

 

I would have to charge 1L$/week

 

Of course I could have a refund system or just give them the linden if they don't have it?

 

I set my CasperLets at one linden dollar per day, and set the refund at 100%, and so mine are set up for free. 

I've been doing it for years.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...