What are people up to besides the standard SL activities?

Isobel Avedon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dancing, shopping, rp, creation, adult content, sailing...what are people up to other than this kind of stuff?  Looking for fun things to do in sl (in the SLT mornings/afternoons)....social activities to get into...and im a bit out of touch with current social spots, "games," discussion groups, sports, silly activities etc.  Back in 2006-2008 there were a lot of interesting discussion communities and just public places centered around things other than clubs and sex, but I think the recession closed a lot of public space and limited the diversity of social activities or Im just not seeing what other subcultures there are.   What do you do for fun when youre not in a club? 

31 minutes ago, Isobel Avedon said:

Im just not seeing what other subcultures there are. 

you'r long enough around to know you have to do the work yourself, SL and residents can offer you info, but main source to find out is to go out

What do you do for fun when youre not in a club?

you limit the normal SL behaviour to being in a club?.....

I think the recession closed a lot of public space and limited the diversity of social activities or Im just not seeing what other subcultures there are.

the recession didn't limit the diversity, i even think there's a lot more because people express themself more and more openly. As far the recsession caused venue's to close, they open and close all the time, jut a few  last longer.
Till recently the subscription fees didnt rise for a decade, premium landholding doubled,  the landfees lowered, the Li rised ... all things that should been helpfull for running clubs and open activities. I keep the RL influence of the recession ( thats btw gone for a few years already!) out of this, because everybody was hit in different ways, and perhaps has brought more people into SL activities to step away from RL a bit.

If you dont find sub cultures and social activities, you'r view is perhaps aimed at a too small circle, there are thousends of activities weekly/daily.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

My SL "golden age" was during the recession. It seemed hugely full then. Might be partly because it was still fairly new, but speaking for myself, I knew the recession was the key reason I was spending so much time there. I'd lost my job, had very little money, and SL was completely free (I had an inworld job that covered my minimal spends). Couldn't afford to go out or buy lovely clothes in RL.

Live music events can be very social if that’s your goal. Lots of chatting in local, and not much of the spammy stuff that lots of clubs have.

I personally spend my time at live music events, exploring new sims and taking pics. And shopping. This website is my favorite for discovering new locations to explore:

https://www.scoop.it/topic/second-life-destinations

Edited by Eva Knoller

I am still active in Bloodlines (I know, I know) and hanging with my family there. That in itself comes with activities - events, exploring, game nights, etc. We go bowling, we play bingo, speedbump, greedy, all sorts of other things. The other day we went zombie hunting (I’m terrible). 

I also have friends that are in motorcycle clubs, so they’ll invite me to go out “riding” every once a and a while - it’s amazing how many sims there are with tracks that have been modified to climb all the way up to 4000m (thank goodness for safety bumpers). 

Aside from that - I landscape, do photography, and help put together Secondlife weddings for people. The sky is the limit on SL - you just have to leave your skybox and wander! 

I haven't been to a club in years.  It's just not my idea of a fun way to spend in-world time. When I am not scripting or doing something else creative, I am chatting with friends or exploring.  I spend a large amount of time just wandering around.  Even after 12+ years here, I find new sights every day.

• Like 2

I have made it my SL life's goal to steal the locomotive from "The Far Away". I can stand in the wheat field there for hours, chatting with friends elsewhere in SL while I do post-mortem analysis on my numerous failures.

It's been said that success is going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. Though that's precisely what I do, the result is certainly not success.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Isobel Avedon said:

What do you do for fun when youre not in a club? 

Here are some ideas:

Open SL's first Morris Day & The Time museum

Dress up in a 2009 system AV, go to an infohub and pretend to be an ancient bot

Go to SL church

Host a 'gacha destruction' art event, where you rez rare gacha items and then delete them as an anti-capitalist gesture

Voice call random people and ask them when last names are coming back

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I have made it my SL life's goal to steal the locomotive from "The Far Away". I can stand in the wheat field there for hours, chatting with friends elsewhere in SL while I do post-mortem analysis on my numerous failures.

It's been said that success is going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. Though that's precisely what I do, the result is certainly not success.

Luke:  "I don't believe it."

Yoda: "That...is why you fail."

108lna.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2

I used to do a bit of gardening and pottery until the groups I was in disbanded.

I wrestled for a bit.

These days i'm just riding my animesh horse anywhere ;3 

Sometimes I go Orca watching or I visit Zoos. I also visit art galleries and museums.

I also hang around some occult hotspots/gatherings where we have tarot sessions or guided meditations sometimes. Other times we discuss Herbology or various other topics. 

Every now and again I go sword fighting, fishing or even playing some archery games. 

Lately I'm into slaying zombies for some reason. or or and ghost hunting too at various Horror themed sims. 

I tried the SL cooking systems way baack in the day.

And lastly when I'm reaaally that bored I do yoga, I swing on swings (for hours on end) oor I just stand in the rain. ❤️

SL is never boring or all about clubs unless you allow it to be. blah :3

- oh oh oh and I'm a bit of a Flickr addict sooo I snap snap everything I like ^^ 

Things I do for fun in sl..

create-albeit it not really anymore, since I can't, I still pretend to tinker

surfing

visit museums

visit zoos

drive around the grid-sometimes with GTFO, sometimes not (that's actually fun, btw, though I haven't done it in ages), I'm a terrible driver, and pure comedic gold, though I recommend staying out of your backyard pool when I'm around, my vehicles haven't yet mastered the non-invasive cannonball

raise breedables-again, not in ages, I gave up land ownership/rentership a long time ago-and despite owning an ungodly amount, I wasn't one of those "pay me $5k+ for my rare you peasant" kinda peeps, I did it purely for fun (we're a very rare breed and worth way more than $5k 😛 )

go to a sandbox where permitted, rez a platform, go up 4k meters-ish, drag a ball out, make said ball physical, make...a few copies...fly, remove platform, watch your chaos befall unsuspecting people below (again, I must reiterate the WHERE PERMITTED, physics are a feisty lil thing)

watch other people create

watch a movie, or youtube, or cartoons, the hebrew hammer(such a classic), grease, a christmas story, mama mia...any number of other movies I have from years gone by that oddly still work now and again (not THOSE ones silly) in my gigantic video room (I usually do this in a sandbox, when and where allowed-I ask if need be, often have guests too lol)

traipse around the grid like I own the place with my pup-really we just explore, a LOT

find people who are intellectually stimulating-whether it's on the inferior or superior end is determined by the user, exploit that stimuli :D (that's just my version of nerd speak for find folks to chat with)

golf-I'm also terrible at this, if you hear me yell fore, it's already too late...DUCK and COVER

visit places like the grand canyon, paris, used to be a New York sim dunno if it's still around,it was mostly just a park-not sure why they didn't name it after the park, lol, other rl versions of places and things 

arcades

bowling

amusement parks-those are one of my fav things to do, mostly because I like making roller coasters, so I really like seeing others' 

visiting charity events-pretty much just RFL now a days, but, I've been to a few others

avoiding shopping at all cost

helping other people

occasionally I drop in to the realms-or did, been a while, lol

avoiding all clubs at all cost because...ugh, gesturebaters

sailing-again, terrible driver, don't get in a boat with me if you want to A-stay dry, B-not drown and C-eventually get somewhere

parachuting off high surfaces I shouldn't be 'chuting off (Eiffel tower is AMAZING for this, they have a zip line too, but..pffft, I can do better with my chute)

hmm, that's about all that pops into my head right now, but if you look at my profile here, then look at some of my older posts I have one, a few really, somewhere that  talk about fun things to do in sl. Some of them have actual links-it's old, they might not all work, but can give you a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.