Normie and Anime Height

FuIlM00n

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is that what they call it now, I do not know. No matter, Hello I am Full Moon! Normaly I am 10' but in this virtual space i am 8'.
That is quiet large isn't it? Naturally in this topic I will speak and educate the Second Life Community about height and how it has seemed to effect some users from being able to experience Secondlife and what wonders it has to offer in the bodies they feel appropriate to there avatar!  And not feel like they are in fear or how you would say, the EGG SHELL WALKING!

When a Teacher teaches, you sit and listen. Do not back talk to me.

Now lets begin!

A Normie ( Although I am sure it is just the normal avatar )
Can Be anything from mesh to default Secondlife Bodies. For instance the Maitreya body and Catawa seem to be quite popular yes? And for good reasons too, they are wonderful avatars! The Freya Jake makes for a very handsome Male as well!

Anime: Any type of avatar that has the popular Japanese style artwork in 3D mesh form! Or sculpties I suppose. These Bodies range into the Fitted Kemono, Maiterya, Freya, Slink and so forth. They are sometimes referred to as "The Weebs".

Now that we understand the types of avatars of this topic let us discuss the next topic, height. Please pay attention.

It has been given my attention that Linden Labs has not addressed this issue properly, and as such it is my business to put my foot down on issues that rather fall into category of both ignorance and non transparency. A large avatar, such as myself, NOT normal, will always be much larger then say a 5'2 or 5'4 female avatar. Normie or not. Anime holds a certain esthetic to it's genre. The Cute look factors into the limitations of What is available on the Market. Anime, for the most part is just cute. Anime and age matter only to the creator and its sol purpose, now that is to say Height does play a very important roll! If a Maitreya female at 5' with a M4 head meets a male normie, at 8' Does one call this a child avatar for the Anime avatar?

The answer is very simple.

NO.

No you do not get to decide a avatars age by look. You do not get to decide the avatars age by height, if you are big and tall like me, even 6' males look like children. the problem is, Secondlife and the Community have not understood the height restrictions and how they are to be used within moderation but never explicate gratification. It is rather silly to say, an Anime girl is young when she can be just as old as the male standing besides her but she is of a different CANVAS. The art styles of these two avatars are very different. Must I mention the choice of clothes do depend on age as well, if a anime avatar wheres childish clothes, they fall into that category, but naturally it does depend on the clothes we are as we act our age. This is not about sexual connection between avatars. You should never roleplay as a child and do unspeakable acts with an adult avatar.  As I have stated this is a discussion of Avatars and Height, and how it seems to become an issue that if you are an Anime avatar, you are an immediate threat to the community and can be flagged as CHILDREN. Again, this is due to the lack of understanding an Anime avatar will not match your 8' Male avatar so you can feel like she's not a child. YOU ARE TO BIG. Why should female avatars all be 6'5 just so you can feel your height matches? Or your age? The answer is, STOP comparing your Normie avatar with an ANIME avatar.

Normie Avatars seem to have a rather aggressive height issue. They always appear to be much large, for no reason, and because of this its just become and acceptable norm. But you as an Anime avatar do not need to follow the normie height chart. There is a ruler in Second life and for the few that are misusing it, should learn to correct themselves.

If you are in a Sim of Anime, respect the genre and do not expect to be catered to your needs as a Normie. IT IS ANIME.
If you are on a Normie sim, do not EXPECT to be excepted as an Anime avatar.

This is the problem I see in Secondlife and it is ruthlessly pathetic. Start acting your age and follow your size heights to the T or you will always have this issue. You will always have this issue due to the fact that Anime and Normie are not from the same slice of creative personification, but they are similar as they are simply creation.

Now please, be civil amongst this topic as I am here to educate you on your rather disapproving behavior. As well as Second Life LL. You must address this issue, it is getting out of hand.
No Avatar should ever be told they can where what they want, if we can all just get along and not cry the wolf.

And to be perfectly honest at 10' your all tiny to me. But I understand height and that is your first issue. Fix it.

• Haha 4

Here's the TL:DR version:

The average normie avatar, especially guys, tend to be 7-9' tall. This isn't a problem except that when they see avatars that are 6' or shorter, which many anime style avatars are (Furries, too, for that matter. Also, women in growing numbers. And landowners who want to get their money's worth.) too many of them cry "Child avatar!" and try to get shorter avatars banned simply for being shorter than they are. That's stupid. They should stop doing that.

I'll add that there's a simple thing LL could do to begin clearing up this issue.

Edited by Penny Patton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FuIlM00n said:

Yes! This is a wonderful Idea! Let this happen! And they should be punished for crying wolf 😆

Penny has been campaigning for this for years. Linden Lab still haven't listened. 

personally I wish they would. Then I could actually be a foot taller than everyone else, like I am supposed to be. 😎

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Haha 1

@Penny Pattonthanks for the TL:DR version - I stopped reading the op after the first word as I only know it in its derogatory sense (and really don't care if it has others - one is enough). Visual indicator is a great idea so hope that gets some traction.

(Agree on the auto ban of 'short' avs - thats so olde skool silly :)  We settled for a nominal 2m av scale way back and make stuff mod - else it would never fit me.)

• Like 1

Just now, FuIlM00n said:

It is about time they DO!

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Penny has been campaigning for this for years. Linden Lab still haven't listened. 

personally I wish they would. Then I could actually be a foot taller than everyone else, like I am supposed to be. 😎

In my ~15 years in SL i've met maybe a dozen avatars that could unambiguously be considered children.

This is not something where you ponder on for 10 minutes, you will know, the second you see them. If you are hesitating, you are probably casting a stylistic judgement.

It is also not ground for banning or an abuse report either, unless sexual behavior is involved.

Newsflash: Most Residents who choose to play as a child have no interest in adult content, they just want to re-live their childhood/create a better one.

• Like 2

Yeah it's about Bloody time someone says something about this! I'm on board. I'm a 5' Cat girl, and I'm a proud anime weeb rocking an ADULT ANIME female body. And I don't have to be a giant big bewb bimbo to be happy about it either. SO do this please, set the height system. AND NO 2M IS NOT STANDARD HEIGHT. That's not Anime's so stop walking on the surface like your rights are some kind of moral god send, you titless tit. @sirhc DeSantis And not everyone is going to speak in the best of themsleves, the fact that people want something done about it is good enough for me. It's time to break this monsters throat and feed it its own mistakes. RIGHT IN THE FACE!

Sorry FullMoon, I lack civility.

27 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the Library avatars back in the day were pretty tall

i think Harajuku were the tallest . By the Linden Shape Editor the boy is 2.22 meters tall and the girl is 1.94 meters. Which included their platform boots

harag.png.82c643c7478f296e9a30ab25233f6eb0.png

i always ❤️ these avatars :)

Those were the days.... when the nightmare was very real. Thank LL for mesh.

1 minute ago, Areis Mizin said:

Those were the days.... when the nightmare was very real

back in the day they were way cool. Waaaaay! cool !

flex cloth mesh even they were.  Then Linden went lets not actually dev evolve what was then the most advanced avatar modelling system ever at that time and did nothing about avatars for 10 years.  Interesting that Linden chose to redo the Sansar avatar modelling system tho

Which 

4 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

A long time ago my theory on height creep was related to male dominance:

"My character is a slightly bigger than average dude"

And generation after generation of this simple idea lead, over time to taller and taller males, until they essentially hit the height limit.

Which is why I've always suggested that Linden Lab should monetize it. Premium avatars get to be 30% taller. It's pay to win the dominance game. I can't see what could go wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

18 hours ago, FuIlM00n said:

in this topic I will speak and educate the Second Life Community about height

It's your freedom to be a tiny, as it is mine to be a human in SL proportions.
You'r not less judgmental by your "education" as anyone that bans small childish or any other type of avatar.

Again a freaking noob account that comes tell others what to do... ( i won't use the words i have in mind to prevent a warning)

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and they shouldn't

If people don't like it, lock yourself in a sim, with rules that don't allow it.... but hey isn't that what many already complain about?... the banning of small avies on private regions?

I'm not talking about making anything compulsory. All it would take is slightly  reducing the height of starter avatars, and adjusting the default camera angle in the SL official viewer. It's all about the first impressions a new resident gets on first login. 

Both of which could be changed back to current settings if you wanted to do so.

What these would do is give new starters the impression that the "average" height is nearer to normal than it currently is, and effectively give people more variety of height to choose from. Because right now, the shorter third of the height range is almost unusable due to accusations of/fear of being identified as a child.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Because right now, the shorter third of the height range is almost unusable due to accusations of/fear of being identified as a child.

many small types of avatars dó look like kids for many, often anime and sortlike phantasy avatars with also the appearance of kids in sugary sweet little dresses and other objects.
yes we know all accounts are adults, but , i keep it to my choice; i don't want them around at my adult place.

[edit] i don't discriminate ... i ban niramyth (and sortlike apes) too

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, FuIlM00n said:

No you do not get to decide a avatars age by look. You do not get to decide the avatars age by height.

I'll never understand where this "height discrimination" supposedly happens in SL (well, other than all the furniture being designed for giants...). I've never once, over 13 years in SL, been accused to RPing as a child despite being about half a meter shorter than average at 1.72. It might be because my avatar clearly looks like an adult woman despite being short in comparison!

So, no, you can't judge an avatar's age by height, and it basically never ever happens. However, you certainly do get to decide it by look; if you look obviously underage, well... it doesn't matter how many thousands of years old you might be according to your biography. :P

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

many small types of avatars dó look like kids for many, often anime and sortlike phantasy avatars with also the appearance of kids in sugary sweet little dresses and other objects.
yes we know all accounts are adults, but , i keep it to my choice; i don't want them around at my adult place.

[edit] i don't discriminate ... i ban niramyth (and sortlike apes) too

Again, you're a different Cavnas then Anime, so yes if an anime avatar looks like a child, it's a problem. But if they are clearly an adult, you have a problem. On your land it should never even be a say so in the matter, on land you do not own, you can simply. Hush.

Edited by FuIlM00n

18 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Here's the TL:DR version:

The average normie avatar, especially guys, tend to be 7-9' tall. This isn't a problem except that when they see avatars that are 6' or shorter, which many anime style avatars are (Furries, too, for that matter. Also, women in growing numbers. And landowners who want to get their money's worth.) too many of them cry "Child avatar!" and try to get shorter avatars banned simply for being shorter than they are. That's stupid. They should stop doing that.

I'll add that there's a simple thing LL could do to begin clearing up this issue.

I have found we are both Cow like! I am Full Moon,  Dremah Cow. No we are not the same, we both like to understand serious issues though. That is important.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.