iMortTM

Real Advice for SL Strip Club 2019/2020

Hi! I wanted to get some advice and real advice. I know some ppl don’t wanna share and just share the face it not an easy thing to do. (Trust me I know ) Iv made an successful club on IMVU a different platform. And I did very Well. So I have experience on owning and even managing. BUT I know this isn’t NOT Imvu it his is SL. A better way for Strip Life experience. So can you guys give me some great advice to create a good club here on SL? Some place to rent land ? Way to advertise ,etc? I want to make is all know that it’s okay to share your success with advice giving . And one day if I do make it with my club id life to share that advice as well. We are all in it why not help ? 

Thank you. So much for the love . 

You are incorrect that people are reluctant to share!

I've never owned a strip club, but that won't stop me from offering advice.

• I suggest renting or buying your land on a region with Adult maturity rating.  Technically, you can maybe operate  a strip joint on Moderate land, but why risk controversy?
  • When buying equipment, get poles and dance machines with GOOD animations in them.  Demo them first, before purchase. 
  • For some ways to advertise, read my blog post: https://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2019/06/ads-ads-ads.html
  • If your club is on Adult land, you can potentially also have back rooms where the girls can offer sex.
  • Determine how your club will make revenue.  Tip jars that give a percentage of the dancers' tips to the club?  A club donation jar?  Charge the girls to rent a pole? (I don't recommend that one.)
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well Iv asked other owners and they don’t want to give advice just the bad ones like “ oh this is hard it’s gonna take a long time don’t think it would be easy “ and that is true . But using it to scare and make easier for no new competitions. Which I feel wrong . If it’s gonna take a long time don’t worry it’s gonna take a while. To grow ,  be the time they are successful I’m sure the person would be even greater. You know what I mean ? Iv has this happen many times . Like fun advice and true advice . That really helps. I know we are all trying to make something out of this lifestyle we are all in it , let us all be successful you know ? But you have some LMs you can send me for Parcels ? I don’t want really many things . Right now ima gonna start small and grow . Don’t wanna spend all this rl money then change my mind. Start small ? 

People give you that advice not JUST to scare you, but also because you need to hear it. 

I really recommend taking some time to get to know that club scene in SL before even bothering to try and open one yourself.  Just asking for advice isn't going to get you far, as you've seen, and wrongly assumed was intended to insult or stop you...so far from it. People give the "negative" advice because it's the advice people want to listen to the least, but need to know the most. 

If you're hell bent on making a strip club and just going with it you need to know your likelihood of failing is higher than your likelihood of succeeding, and that goes for ALL of us, so don't be personally insulted by it, please. You need to know that you will struggle, it will take a LOT of money, resources, time, patience and even more important, a LOT of leg work on your part-like ANY business in sl. You need to know all of the bad things first, that way you can better plan for it. 

All that potentially negative aside, here's some advice..

Research- Visit every club you can find, see what works, what doesn't, don't necessarily ask them for advice, just...witness,. You can ask for advice later, just watch or even participate, it'll give you a better feel for what goes on, on a daily basis. Do this a LOT, not just one visit here, one visit there..okie dokie, I got it, you'll set yourself up for disappointment. Honestly, I'd recommend working in one for a while, to give you a bit of a feel for the dancers' perspective too (if you don't already, I have no idea)

Have money-it's going to be VERY expensive, that's no  joke and it's not an insult, it's a fact. Prepare now to fully fund the entire club (ALL expenses, including if you pay your dancers, etc..!!), with your own rl money (don't expect to make ANYTHING on "donations and tips"), for at the very least the first 6 months. I say year, but people don't usually like that advice, I don't think 6 months is reasonable in sl, but..eh.

Don't get too big for your britches-You've already got this covered, you're starting small, that's really smart :) Keep it that way until you NEED to expand, it'll help keep things a bit easier to manage. 

Find land yourself-This might sound mean, but I think asking for people to give you ideas of where to put the club is an indicator you might not be ready to have one just yet. I don't mean it as an insult, but more of a "how are you going to build/manage/run a club if you don't understand basics of land ownership/renting" kinda deal, make sense? This is where research comes in super handy. You need to understand sl a bit more than the average resident might when you have a business in sl-or at least know parts better. If you're not there yet, it's ok, you will be if you're determined enough. 

Don't go into this with the mindset that everyone is out to get you, no one wants your competition, people want you to fail, etc...Any advice you get, while you can take it with a grain of salt, I'd honestly take the negative advice seriously, there's usually a hell of a lot of truth in it (if not total truth, in my case...total)

It's rough, but, if you're determined, you can do it. You just have to be willing to put in the legwork, which not only means researching other clubs but also things like dances, policies, furniture, decor, how to deal with unruly people, understanding lag and how best to combat it for your club, understanding most of the basics of sl, knowing what you want and will need of your staff, etc.. There's a LOT to know, and most of it, you don't need in IMVU, which is why that experience helps not an iota here, lol, the differences are far too great. So, go into this with a clean slate...like you've never owned a club before at all. Just like when you first joined sl you had to learn how to do things-a lot of which we do by trial and error, observing others, asking when and where we can, or just simply doing things until we get the result we wish. Club owning is like that...but times a million, lol. It IS rewarding, and some do amazingly well, but there's something you also need to know, and that is that more than 90% of clubs(of any type) never make it in sl. That's not to deter you, or anyone else, I think you should go for it, once you're better prepared, but it is a reality. That's why you need to take the negative advice seriously, and not brush it off as them wanting you to fail. They already know you probably will at some point, just like they know they probably will, at some point, because most of us do, good club owners plan for that what if scenario :) That's the harsh reality no one ever wants to hear.  I do wish you all the best :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Thank you for the advice ,You must have miss read the post ,Iv managed on SL and worked/Danced and Even DJ also on SL for last 2yrs .. so I know the odds and ends . But Iv never Owned a club, it’s different from managing it and is a different owning then IMVU. I have the  experience  Of marketing and advertising. Why I was a manager on a few clubs here on SL. I’m not making a club just out of Willy nilly . Iv been  planing and  watching and observing for a While , I was working and managing. I’m starting out small bc I know how much money it takes to build and put in the clubs. I’m posting this to see what advice ppl can give me to an new owner . Not manager . Nor I didn’t say it was a bad thing ppl give the bad and ugly was a bad thing. But if notice they only give you that to scare you . And like i said that’s okay that open up your eyes on the hard work. Nor am I gonna take any LM  and put my club there . I’d like to go to these LM to see the difference check out prices . What is better . That’s why I ask. I know I’m asking for help in advice  doesn’t mean I’m wanting ppl to do everything for me . I’m just asking  for advice to be prepared. Like I said Iv know SL pretty well now.  Just new to owning . No I’m not insulted . Just the way you read things you read how you read it . 

Edited by iMortTM

15 minutes ago, iMortTM said:

please don't reply to others in the quotes ... it gets a bit messy to read who said what.

• Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, iMortTM said:

Iv made an successful club...
(Trust me I know ) 
And I did very Well...
So I have experience on owning and even managing

Iv managed on SL and worked/Danced and Even DJ also on SL for last 2yrs...
so I know the odds and ends...
I have the  experience  Of marketing and advertising...
I was a manager on a few clubs here on SL...
Iv been  planing and  watching and observing for a While...
I was working and managing...

Why did you even ask us? If you run your club the same way you show off your "skills", you will be very successful anyway. ;)

• Like 1

You took it exactly as I suspected you would. Like you said "you read things how you read it" . Except you read it all completely and utterly wrong, I am not, nor have I ever been your competition, so I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to share the REALITY of the negatives of club owning as a means of scaring you. 

Best of luck to you, I have a feeling you're going to need it.I hope one day w will all see that your club has been amazingly successful, I really do, but you're not willing to listen to advice so I have no idea why you're even asking for it.  Clearly...you know everything ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Why did you even ask us? If you run your club the same way you show off your "skills", you will be very successful anyway. ;)

I just ask bc AGAIN I wanted advice for a new owner that’s all . Now your are being just rude 

Clearly not saying that at all . Now your just being rude . I did say ty for the advice and your seem to be mad soon as I said Iv been managing for the 2yrs . All I said and your upset with me ?Clearly I’m listing . I did say ty for the advice I’d. Why your getting upset 

1 minute ago, iMortTM said:

Clearly not saying that at all . Now your just being rude . I did say ty for the advice and your seem to be mad soon as I said Iv been managing for the 2yrs . All I said and your upset with me ?Clearly I’m listing . I did say ty for the advice I’d. Why your getting upset 

Because you suggested that I shared the negative aspects because I'm trying to scare you, and that couldn't possibly be further from the truth, it would probably offend normal people (I'm not normal, lol)

Best of luck to ya, but another piece of advice....don't ask for advice if you plan on shooting it all down with your inexperience. No one is going to be willing to help you if you stay close minded. Saying ty before adding a bunch of caveats doesn't exactly make the thanks seem genuine, that might be a language barrier thing, I dunno, I'd rather not assume not nice things of you, so I'm gonna bow out. I'm a genuine person, I'll tell it like it is, the reality of the situation, that's obviously not what you want, so I've overstepped. 

• Like 2

My advice.  

Have an idea for your club that offers something different to all the other strip clubs if you want to stand out.

Hire the best and most experienced dancers you can

Hire the best DJs you can

Hire security or have something in place  because you will need it, especially if you become successful.

Avoid bringing club drama to the front of house. That is, do not let it seep through to your customers or they will be off.  Keep it professional at all times,

As said previously buy the best dance poles you can with the best scripting.

Keep it as low lag as possible

In my opinion, don't make all your best friends into management. I have seen the drama that can cause.  

ETA  Most important.  Have deep pockets.  If you want to turn a profit, be patient.  It will not happen overnight.   A wise old friend told me of the 3 month club rule.  New clubs fail after 3 months because that is when the owners realise how hard they actually have to work to make it a success

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, iMortTM said:

Why should Tari be upset? Her detailled advice will be read by someone else. Someone who really needs and wants help, unlike you.

I mean, you claim to have sooo much experience in IMVU and in SL. You are even in SL since 2 years and not just a newbie, managing clubs and being a DJ. What do you still want to know? Just rent a parcel, setup a club (SL Marketplace) and do what you did the last few years. The only difference will be you paying the rent.
Good luck.

• Like 3

I have been on the side of a club owner, and the side of just a dancer. Here are some things I noticed on each side to be mindful of.

1. Some of the so called most successful clubs on SL, really are only a success for those in upper management because they have their personal clients who really only care to see them.

2. Having too many dancers in a club at one time, will result in most of your dancers not getting tipped, or tipped very little due to the fact there are 6 dancers at one time and the average personal is not going to be willing to drop 1k or more on all 6 dancers.

3. Setting strip rates too high or too low.

4. It is usually a good idea to offer a small hourly incentive to dancers.

5. Mixing a voice club with dancers who voice and those who don't. In my opinion its best to have one or the other, because of the fact if you have 2 dancers on a stage and one voices and the other doesn't, the silent one is not going to make as much.

6. Having way too many themes and such going on in a short amount of time. Although it brings in patrons, you have to consider the fact a lot of your dancers may not have the RL money to constantly buy new clothes all the time before they get a chance to make anything. This one really is a balancing act.

7. You have to accept there will be dancers who have bad attitudes, as well as very insecure ones.

These are just some things I have noticed, and I am not saying these are 100% the case all the time, but these are just some things I think a club owner should be mindful of.

• Like 2

iMortTM said: "... But you have some LMs you can send me for Parcels ?"

No, sorry.  First of all, as I said, I'm not a club owner and have not looked at land with an eye to finding a location for a club.  Second, as Tari Landar suggested, it would be better if you do your own research for land, because you know better than anyone what you're looking for.  You have the same access to all the tools for finding and evaluating land as everyone else.

However, I do teach a class on virtual land every Saturday, at 12 noon SL Time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend, and we cover how to look for and evaluate land parcels.  Maybe I'll see you there!

• Like 3

As someone who has owned and operated several clubs in SL over 15 years, the one piece of advice I can give you is this: clubs do not make money, they lose money. So, unless you have money to spare for land (monthly tier), buildings, light shows, props and a lot of other things that are necessary for operating a club in SL, like groups that cost 100Ls to create, you might want to just stick with what you are doing currently and just work at a one or two.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1