New to Second Life

marniegate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone! 

I’ve just joined Second Life after completely switching from IMVU (i know) haha. I’m just wondering if anyone is able to help show me the ropes? It is okay if not, I’m also looking for just some friends! I have explored a little on my own, but some things are very frustrating and so unlike IMVU that it’s a bit tricky at times finding someone willing to help a noobie out 🙂 

Thank you!!! my name in Second Life is marniegate if you want to message me there too :) 

The best places inworld to go for help as a newbie are Caledon Oxbridge, The Shelter, and Lawst Paradise (New Residents). You'll find all of those in Search, then use the Teleport button to go there. All three places regularly have oldbies hanging around there who will be happy to answer your questions. It's a good idea to go prepared with a list of your questions or the things that are frustrating you.

Lawst Paradise also has some nice free outfits for new people.  Caledon Oxbridge has a series of classes for newbies that you might find helpful; the best one to start with is probably the one about shopping and customising your avatar, since that's the thing most people want to do first. The Shelter doesn't have classes or freebies but it does have people hanging out there nearly all the time; it's worth going just for the 80s music :)

Edited by Matty Luminos

If you're looking for goodies, FabFree does a list of shops that put out freebies for people who have been in SL for less than 30 days! https://fabfree.wordpress.com/fabfree-30-days-list/

Pink Fuel also has a super-cute skin for new residents using a system body, as well! (And if you switch to mesh, you can give it a go on Bakes on Mesh.)

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pink Fuel/124/135/286

Edited by Blaise Glendevon

I would suggest to check out Strawberry Singh Youtube channel..She has a few introduction videos where she explains what is what and how to find it...She also has detailed reviews as well as crash courses for various mesh bodies, mesh heads and so on, those are brand specific...Just a tip, SL ppl are very attached to their own style and brands they prefer, so take any suggestion with a grain of salt. Not sure how it works in IMVU, but in SL you can test any product before buying it, those tests are called DEMOs and are generally free...

If you are asking what are norms, well most of us have abandoned default SL body and wear 3rd party mesh bodies and heads. If you opt for that, you will need a skin that is created for brand of body and head you have. Shape is also needed. AO (how your avatar moves, walks etc) is something you will need as well...Clothes is also created to fit certain body brands and it is always stated which are supported...To give you some idea about pricing; heads are cca 5k, bodies are cca 2000-5000, AO 2k, skins head- cca 1000, body-cca 300..

A lot of info can be found on various blogs created by residents, Flickr and in world groups where you can find help at any given time...

Hope some of these tips help you get started and welcome!

Edit: Almost forgot, not all stores are listed on Marketplace, some brands only sell stuff in their in world store...also before you decide what brands you want to go with, check which ones are best supported by clothes, skins and such. Most popular for bodies are: Maitreya, Belleza, Slink and new arrival Legacy, when it comes to heads, most worn are: Genus, Lelutka and Catwa... 

Edited by MaxMare

1 hour ago, MaxMare said:

I would suggest to check out Strawberry Singh Youtube channel..She has a few introduction videos where she explains what is what and how to find it...She also has detailed reviews as well as crash courses for various mesh bodies, mesh heads and so on, those are brand specific...Just a tip, SL ppl are very attached to their own style and brands they prefer, so take any suggestion with a grain of salt. Not sure how it works in IMVU, but in SL you can test any product before buying it, those tests are called DEMOs and are generally free...

If you are asking what are norms, well most of us have abandoned default SL body and wear 3rd party mesh bodies and heads. If you opt for that, you will need a skin that is created for brand of body and head you have. Shape is also needed. AO (how your avatar moves, walks etc) is something you will need as well...Clothes is also created to fit certain body brands and it is always stated which are supported...To give you some idea about pricing; heads are cca 5k, bodies are cca 2000-5000, AO 2k, skins head- cca 1000, body-cca 300..

A lot of info can be found on various blogs created by residents, Flickr and in world groups where you can find help at any given time...

Hope some of these tips help you get started and welcome!

Edit: Almost forgot, not all stores are listed on Marketplace, some brands only sell stuff in their in world store...also before you decide what brands you want to go with, check which ones are best supported by clothes, skins and such. Most popular for bodies are: Maitreya, Belleza, Slink and new arrival Legacy, when it comes to heads, most worn are: Genus, Lelutka and Catwa... 

Thank you so much! That was so detailed :) I'll definitely check out the bodies, heads etc. There is some mesh in IMVU, but these look so realistic and detailed!! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.