MacBook computer for SecondLife.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the other thread you made I told you the exact way to do this. With a 200$ budget you make a lot of compromises for actual performance. A few of those being

>no way in hell its gonna be a laptop

>you're not gonna get an OS included, possibly not even a drive to put an OS on

>you're going to need to do some light assembly 

My suggestion in the other thread was a secondhand Optiplex 790 (fat type) that had everything but an OS. And then to put a low power used gpu in it and install an OS. It would cost under 200$ including buying a cheap windows key if you absolutely had to go windows. 

Now obviously that's a lot more involved than just buying something and having it boot up out of the box, but it's the only option if you want playable SL performance under 200$. Used optiplex with a used gpu.

23 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

you're not gonna get an OS included, possibly not even a drive to put an OS on

But this is actually fine. You can download Windows for free (from Microsoft) and the only downside to not paying $100-200 is this watermark on one of your monitors:

1c7132f85a.png

It's been there for a year or so. Doesn't affect anything, except the only feature that gets locked is personalization, like background image and accent colors.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Macs are fine for SL. I still use my mid 2012 MacBook Pro to access SL without too much issue. It mainly boils down to what you prefer. The Mac or Windows experience. As a Mac and windows user I would recommend for the average person they invest in a windows based computer with 16gb RAM, i7 processor and any nvidia graphics card 980 and above at the minute. Don’t invest in Apple until next year when they finally remove the butterfly keyboard from all of their devices and refresh their current line. 

Also, ignore derp posts from Apple haters. It’s your choice of what you buy and Apple do make decent machines with a decent operating system, I would just wait until next year once the butterfly keyboard has been removed entirely as it’s...not great...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.