Object Entry and Linden Homes

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is my first LH, and I haz questions.  I'm used to leaving Object Entry on, so that folks can cross my land in vehicles.  But Belli LI allowance is tight, and even moreso in the upcoming camping areas, or older LHs.  In Belli, the Moles have provided generously for land transport with roads and waterways, and if that were the only issue, I'd consider leaving Object Entry off altogether. 

Flying vehicles are another matter, though.  I like to be a good citizen, but is leaving LI unused for flying vehicles pointless in LH areas?  I'm thinking maybe people just don't fly over LH areas, due to security orbs etc.  What do you do on your parcel?

And I have a noob question:  Say I leave object entry on, but only have 20 LI free on my parcel.  If someone brings a 32 LI vehicle onto my parcel, do 12LI worth of my things disappear?  Or does the simulator prevent the person from entering?  What happens?  I can't believe I don't know the answer, but I don't.

What say you, LH experts?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If someone comes onto your property in a vehicle that exceeds the available land impact, nothing will happen unless they stand from the vehicle. Once they stand, if the parcel will not support the vehicle's LI, then the vehicle is returned to the vehicle owner. Nothing of the Land Owner's is returned. This is not specific to Linden Homes, but is that way all across the grid. The same goes for Object entry. As long as someone is sitting, then nothing happens. Once they stand, the vehicle gets returned. This is why vehicles are returned so fast on Bellisseria roads. It's not the auto-return kicking in that fast, it's the no object entry setting saying the vehicle shouldn't be there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

35 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

In Belli, the Moles have provided generously for land transport with roads and waterways, and if that were the only issue, I'd consider leaving Object Entry off altogether. 

Just in passing: public spaces on Bellisseria disallow Object Entry. This removes any temptation to loose a flock of autonomous vehicles on the continent (while avatar-occupied vehicles are unaffected by the setting, as @ThomasHooker rightly noted). Much of Zindra is the same way, in contrast to "classic" Mainland.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

So it sounds like there's really no need to leave object entry on in Belli at all, unless you like having your neighbor's seagulls wander through your space. (Yes, I actually do have a neighbor who has autonomous 4LI seagulls flying around).

Btw, here's a little object anecdote where my partner and I managed to mess ourselves up a bit.  Nothing to do with object entry, but it did result in random poofed objects.

> A houseboat was owned by an active alt of my partner.  But I decorated it and spent time there, and at the moment this happened there was only 29 free LI.

> This alt drove up in her fast little boat, a tidy 32LI, moored and got out.  Naturally, her boat stayed rezzed.  She did stuff, got back into her boat, and sped away.  But 3 LI of my stuff poofed without notification, lol!

Took a few minutes to figure that out.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

So it sounds like there's really no need to leave object entry on in Belli at all, unless you like having your neighbor's seagulls wander through your space. (Yes, I actually do have a neighbor who has autonomous 4LI seagulls flying around).

Btw, here's a little object anecdote where my partner and I managed to mess ourselves up a bit.  Nothing to do with object entry, but it did result in random poofed objects.

> A houseboat was owned by an active alt of my partner.  But I decorated it and spent time there, and at the moment this happened there was only 29 free LI.

> This alt drove up in her fast little boat, a tidy 32LI, moored and got out.  Naturally, her boat stayed rezzed.  She did stuff, got back into her boat, and sped away.  But 3 LI of my stuff poofed without notification, lol!

Took a few minutes to figure that out.

I actually started to comment earlier to wonder if that sort of thing could happen (but got distracted by RL). Thanks for answering my question and saving me the trouble. lol

ETA: I have a vague memory of an earlier thread on that topic, now that I'm thinking more about it. Something about a partner's stuff poofing for mysterious reasons.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

"Reactivating" this since I was just searching for a threat about LH parcel borders, and this one plopped up. ^^ 
I'm wandering on Bellisseria on a regular basis and  I keep seeing objects outside peoples parcel borders. Like vehicles parked on the street, Belli Bins on the sidewalk, and today even saw a dock placed at the seashore, WAY out of parcel. How is this even possible? Can anyone explain? Very curious about that.

7 minutes ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

"Reactivating" this since I was just searching for a threat about LH parcel borders, and this one plopped up. ^^ 
I'm wandering on Bellisseria on a regular basis and  I keep seeing objects outside peoples parcel borders. Like vehicles parked on the street, Belli Bins on the sidewalk, and today even saw a dock placed at the seashore, WAY out of parcel. How is this even possible? Can anyone explain? Very curious about that.

Anchor prim. Report them.

• Thanks 1

• Moles

Object entry has little or nothing to do with vehicles. Object entry doesn't stop vehicles from being driven across the border into your parcel. I prevents objects rezzed on another parcel from being edited and moved into your parcel. As long as the person is sitting on the vehicle it won't disappear until they stand up. In which case if they do not have rezzing rights on the parcel or it cannot support the LI, it is simply returned to them.

And yes... if people are anchoring things on the parcel to stick objects far outside of their parcel lines, please report those items. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Thanks 10

1 minute ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

What would be the right category for this? I'm always unsure.

Either the one that mentions littering or the one that mentions encroachment.  In the title / summary say something along the lines of Linden Home Covenant Violation.  Then describe in the text.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Either the one that mentions littering or the one that mentions encroachment.  In the title / summary say something along the lines of Linden Home Covenant Violation.  Then describe in the text.

Yeah that's how I do it.

In the title I put something like Linden Home Covenant Violation: abcxyz

Where abcxyz is whatever I can still fit.

(I think this is what I do... it doesn't save a copy of your AR for you (and it shouldn't - that would just feed drama), so I'm trying to remember here).

In the actual AR I mix what I saw along with a quote of the relevant part of the covenant.

Am reading recently that the team that handles these is super small... so they don't likely need the rules quoted at them... but I still think it's a good idea to make thinks super ultra clear in your report because if nothing else... doing so helps you yourself re-examine your judgement...

The only person who is ever sure of themselves is a fool... doing things that purposefully question your own judgement is wise.

Glad to see Abnor's note on object entry. I was actually intending to post in here that I wasn't quite sure how object entry worked... now I have more clarity on that. :)

12 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

As long as the person is sitting on the vehicle it won't disappear until they stand up. In which case if they do not have rezzing rights on the parcel or it cannot support the LI, it is simply returned to them.

Unless they use an "Anchor-Alt". It happens all the time in Blake Sea - they have n alt sit on the vehicle - the alt if AFK and often set to invisible (some invisibility gadgets can even hide the name tag, but they always are visible on mini-map). Just pointing this out. I usually AR them for "excessive system resources" offense (Paraphrased there.)

As for the encroachment thing: razzing a dock at the water? I get that. Though I've created a driveway from my parcel out to the sidewalk. Though you may come to ding me for mentioning that (LOL) I've never had one returned to me, yet. Though I also know it's a contextual thing and you guys tend to investigate fairly, so if it ends up in my lost and found, WELL, THEN...  :)

6 hours ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

Yes, BelliBin is a free waste management roleplaying game for citizens of Bellisseria. You fill your BelliBin with trash and others empty it.
You can get one here if interested. :) 

I've looked at that. I actually decided to pass on it because the bins are too high land impact.

The ones I have on my land are 1LI. The ones for that game are 2 each.

Might look into seeing if I can rip out their scripts and put them in my own bins.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Unless they use an "Anchor-Alt". It happens all the time in Blake Sea - they have n alt sit on the vehicle - the alt if AFK and often set to invisible (some invisibility gadgets can even hide the name tag, but they always are visible on mini-map). Just pointing this out. I usually AR them for "excessive system resources" offense (Paraphrased there.)

Yeah. My neighbor did that on her first day on the plot. Her anchor alt spent the next few days inside the plot always logged in, but she/they have since resorted to actually logging out when not there.

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

As for the encroachment thing: razzing a dock at the water? I get that. Though I've created a driveway from my parcel out to the sidewalk. Though you may come to ding me for mentioning that (LOL) I've never had one returned to me, yet. Though I also know it's a contextual thing and you guys tend to investigate fairly, so if it ends up in my lost and found, WELL, THEN...  :)

jaggedroadedge.thumb.jpg.949bd9efc2e8518e4973178fd5083c25.jpg

Sometimes it's worse if someone carefully avoids an encroachment.

Roads that curve are part of SL. Which means parcel edges like this. Here, someone carefully clipped their landscaping to their parcel boundary, creating an ugly jaggie. A seamless connection to the road that goes below the road edge berm would look much better. Obstructing the road is a no-no, of course.

Edited by animats
Blank lines at end
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, animats said:

Sometimes it's worse if someone carefully avoids an encroachment.

Roads that curve are part of SL. Which means parcel edges like this. Here, someone carefully clipped their landscaping to their parcel boundary, creating an ugly jaggie. A seamless connection to the road that goes below the road edge berm would look much better. Obstructing the road is a no-no, of course.

Yikes, that is... unsightly!  LOL. I only did this. Perhaps @Abnor Mole Or @Quartz Mole can tell me if' I'll slide past bthe BS meter or not? LOL

LL Home Driveway

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I only did this. Perhaps @Abnor Mole Or @Quartz Mole can tell me if' I'll slide past bthe BS meter or not? LOL

One of them, or maybe Patch, had mentioned a while back that a bit of pavement out to the main area would likely not get returned as long as it looked as though it properly fit in.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One of them, or maybe Patch, had mentioned a while back that a bit of pavement out to the main area would likely not get returned as long as it looked as though it properly fit in.

~Relief sigh~ Thank you, I never saw any mention like that. :)

On 1/13/2020 at 12:12 AM, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

like this? That camper truck was 112 prim and the two group joiner posts you cant see... I am assuming it still goes against the parcel prim allowance. The house  was sparsely decorated itself.

c370104beacef6df9d27d2593152efb8.jpg

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

like this? That camper truck was 112 prim and the two group joiner posts you cant see... I am assuming it still goes against the parcel prim allowance. The house  was sparsely decorated itself.

c370104beacef6df9d27d2593152efb8.jpg

I know most people disagree, but I find this utterly charming!  Autos parked outside houses, bins on the sidewalk, make the scene so realistic. it makes me smile.  They maybe should be there for a short time, & not in the way of people actually driving the street, but it really adds to the experience.  And I love your police car,  Tarina, I imagine you there to give them a ticket!   😁

Edited by GinaFreumann
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, GinaFreumann said:

I know most people disagree, but I find this utterly charming!  Autos parked outside houses, bins on the sidewalk, make the scene so realistic. it makes me smile.  They maybe should be there for a short time, & not in the way of people actually driving the street, but it really adds to the experience.  And I love your police car,  Tarina, I imagine you there to give them a ticket!   😁

I thought about it, but figured it was not my place. That was the first one I had seen on my driving travels though.  I would like to see recycling bins along side the road or stinky smelly garbage cans lol. I looked for a garbage truck when I was buying but could not find one.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.