Weights of pieces in a linkset?

LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there any way to get the weights of individual objects within a linkset?  I know that if I edit an object, I can click on 'More info' and get the various 'weights' of that item as a whole.  If the item is made up of multiple items, is there a way to get that info for each linked item?  When I click 'Edit Linked' and then click the 'More info', the weights don't display for me.  Instead I see spinning circles for each of the values - sort of like it is trying to load but can't.

I'm asking because there are often times when I'm interested in using pieces of a modifiable object, but only if the LI of the individual piece/pieces is small enough.  When shopping, I haven't yet been able to find that info for the pieces within a linkset.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Is there any way to get the weights of individual objects within a linkset?  I know that if I edit an object, I can click on 'More info' and get the various 'weights' of that item as a whole.  If the item is made up of multiple items, is there a way to get that info for each linked item?  When I click 'Edit Linked' and then click the 'More info', the weights don't display for me.  Instead I see spinning circles for each of the values - sort of like it is trying to load but can't.

I'm asking because there are often times when I'm interested in using pieces of a modifiable object, but only if the LI of the individual piece/pieces is small enough.  When shopping, I haven't yet been able to find that info for the pieces within a linkset.

I have noted that some creators have been LINKING THEIR WHOLE SET UP which does make it difficult (and also has me wondering why they are doing it  since these are the OMG heavy mesh folks).   You CAN in Firestorm (this may be in the Linden viewer now too) see the individual numbers.  Use Edit linked parts and click on each part to see. 

image.thumb.png.018ce86ef7cd87eb8315cedd20cc074a.png

As an alternative you can right click and choose Object > Inspect and you will get a list with various bits of info. Some creators name their pieces appropriately though and others have default names which makes it pretty difficult to tell what is what :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

Here is what I'm talking about.  If I Edit the object, then it will show the Total Land Impact on the main edit window - 30, in this case - and I see the Weights in the 'More info' window:

pic-1.JPG.fbb3f4fff7ed520f4be0d9911bb7dc23.JPG

However, if I click Edit Linked, the Land Impact in the main edit window still shows the 30 for the entire object and the 'More info' window never shows the Weight values:

pic-2.JPG.4702d8b64b2e9c96d66cd3adde0b6d21.JPG

If I do an Inspect of object, I can get all of the info about the textures, but still no Weights or Land Impact for an individual piece:

pic-3.JPG.d5c5230cc9109132aa9e33ae13eff2a3.JPG

If I know the vertices and triangles and other shown info for a specific piece, can I rough calculate what the LI would be for that piece by itself?

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I know the vertices and triangles and other shown info for a specific piece, can I rough calculate what the LI would be for that piece by itself?

Ah I didn't understand  what you were after so far as land impact of a single part of a linkset. As far as I know there is no way to do that. Partly because (currently) land impact has little to do with vertices or triangle count.    Hopefully that will change with ArcTan but  that would be too simple a system LOL so thinking that it will not happen.  I am almost always more interested in the triangle count, and not the land impact.  I just didn't read your post carefully enough.     I guess if you REALLY wanted to know you could contact the creator and ask. You might get an answer :D.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Unless I'm reading something wrong, the specific numbers here suggest that it's pretty good.

In your first window, it shows 35 prims with a total of 29.7 download. That gives an average of less than 1 LI per prim. Some higher of course, but it does suggest LI efficiency. You can tell visually if that 2 lowest LOD is a cheat or reasonable.

Your second window, for link 2 specifically, shows 260, 260, 16, 2 triangles. The download weight should be under the server weight of .5, so either server or perhaps the physics will set the LI. Because the triangle numbers are so low, I'd feel pretty confident in estimating an individual LI of .5.

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Lil will be experienced enough to check for LOD collapse inworld.

She definitely is.

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Depends on what it is. I've made a couple of things recently which had similarly low numbers because they didn't need more.

A triangle distribution like this is never ideal but it can work reasonably well for some indoors objects about 2 m or slightly less in size.

6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Unless I'm reading something wrong, the specific numbers here suggest that it's pretty good.

In your first window, it shows 35 prims with a total of 29.7 download. That gives an average of less than 1 LI per prim. Some higher of course, but it does suggest LI efficiency. You can tell visually if that 2 lowest LOD is a cheat or reasonable.

Your second window, for link 2 specifically, shows 260, 260, 16, 2 triangles. The download weight should be under the server weight of .5, so either server or perhaps the physics will set the LI. Because the triangle numbers are so low, I'd feel pretty confident in estimating an individual LI of .5.

The item I was editing was just an example that I nabbed at the store I was at when I read Chic's first reply to me.  I hadn't gotten back to the place with the item I was thinking of ripping apart.

I have bought outdoor groupings before that were, say, 15 linked objects with a total of 18 LI.  After ripping it apart, I discovered that the pieces I wanted, a dirt pile and some flowers and weeds, were more than 1 LI each.   I was hoping for an easy way to figure that out before buying a linked set of something. 

In this case,  the item is a grouping containing a tree with a bench, a few critters and various types of ground cover and foliage - that all came in at 25 LI.  Primarily I wanted the ground covering items and bushes, but could possible use some of the other pieces elsewhere.  It would be nice to know the LI of each individual component ahead of time, to help in my decision to buy it.  Especially for the future when I run into groupings that cost quit a bit. 

This time, the item isn't expensive enough to fret over, so I'll just carefully examine the LOD info of each piece that I care about and pan out on the item as a whole to see what breaks up. Though I have had that fail me in the past also --- some piece seems to hold up well within a linkset, but once it is on its own, it seems to break apart faster.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.