One of the simple joys of Second Life....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Nastasha Szaberwick said:

The last time I purchased a non-human avatar was maybe between 2008-2009, from Grendel's Children--which it's astonishing (in a good way) that they're still around. I need something new. I may have to visit Avalon's.

Unlike Avalon and many others, the truly amazing thing about Grendel's Children is that it's also still in the same place, with the same layout and build, and many of the avatars that were available when I first found it 13 years ago are still there AND still awesome. Many of them are genuinely timeless.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Unlike Avalon and many others, the truly amazing thing about Grendel's Children is that it's also still in the same place, with the same layout and build, and many of the avatars that were available when I first found it 13 years ago are still there AND still awesome. Many of them are genuinely timeless

I visited a couple of years ago, after I came back from a hiatus and wanting to see if old LMs still worked. I went there just before posting my reply out of curiosity. It truly is those things. 

Edited by Nastasha Szaberwick
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nastasha Szaberwick said:

I visited a couple of years ago, after I came back from a hiatus and wanting to see if old LMs still worked. I went there just before posting my reply out of curiosity. It truly is those things. 

It should be designated by Linden Lab as an SL National Historic Landmark, like the Galaxy Ship. :D

Edit as I want to add this: It is literally frozen in time and nostalgic to me. If anyone wants to actually immerse themselves into what SL was back in 2006-2008, Grendal's Children is the typical experience we has for shopping and what a typical mall and build looked like and worked. There was no Market Place (there was SLX - run by an SL user, not LL and wasn't't that "big" yet, most didn't't use it at the time). It's great place to just wander and peruse... like a museum. LOL Except you can still buy that stuff.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4

I have my shoulder dragon still. And I think I still have my avatar(s). Aw man, now I'm gonna be logging in and digging in my inventory then wishing I hadn't because all the stuff from 2018 and before .... is all in one folder and not exactly well organized.

I'm just gonna have to break it down and do a little every day. Eventually, it will all get done. Eventually.

comma after eventually 👼

Oh, Avalon. I've never done fantasy RP but I used to go there to dance with partners. One of the very first items of clothing I had was a freebie evening gown from there. He said I looked stunning. Obviously that av in that dress now would look like a Poundshop blow-up doll in a bin bag but at the time, I did, I really did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

...Grendel's Children is the typical experience we has for shopping and what a typical mall and build looked like and worked...

While I am right with you about Grendel's being a great place, and definitely a living piece of SL History, I totally disagree that it was EVER the "typical shopping experience".  Grendel's is not, and never was, "typical"!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

While I am right with you about Grendel's being a great place, and definitely a living piece of SL History, I totally disagree that it was EVER the "typical shopping experience".  Grendel's is not, and never was, "typical"!

I could have been more clear, I'm not entirely-meaning the layout, prims, etc. The fancier places (example: Blueberry style layouts and aesthetics) were a lot more rare. Most  places, that I recall were sales boxes, or single-item vendors (JEVN was one of the first, if not first "networked" vendor and just beginning its popularity when I first came in world.) - My main point: No such thing as redelivery, a "demo" was extremely rare, often "information notecards" were not available; all you got was what you see in the advert picture, etc. That's the part of the experience I was alluding to. Not necessarily the *look* of the place :LOL

The biggest thing was: you didn't have to scrutinize anything for compatibility; everything was compatible and worked. The biggest annoyance these days is: "is it compatible with my head, body, applier, etc."

I actually STILL have my complete JEVN system in my inventory! I should set it up in-world, it still works. :D

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.