How can I make money with programming in SL?

Mehran30

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

if you haven't already learned LSL (the scripting language) then start here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal

when you have then you can sell to other residents, scripts and/or scripted objects on the Marketplace or from your inworld store . Or can follow the Wanted and Employment sub-forums on here and pick up paid custom scripting work from other residents

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

if you haven't already learned LSL (the scripting language) then start here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal

when you have then you can sell to other residents, scripts and/or scripted objects on the Marketplace or from your inworld store . Or can follow the Wanted and Employment sub-forums on here and pick up paid custom scripting work from other residents

Thanks, Before I started learning LSL, I wanted to make sure that I could make money without having the skills to do graphic work.

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

LL needs to add a function “llMineBitCoin()”, so we can make money!

That's not a good way. While extracting bitcoin from personal systems (even if they are many) is not a waste of time. On the other hand, this is illegal and inhumane.

• Confused 2

Offer your skills to someone with none.

Find them, figure out the details of the project, negotiate a price/payment plan, have them give you all of the required assets or placeholders.

It's possible to receive a commission on each sale of a product, and it's especially easy to set up on marketplace.secondlife.com.

To split the profits in-world, you'll need to use a scripted vendor that has that functionality.

• Like 2

Take a look at the SL Marketplace and check out what kind of scripting is being used in-world. See what is being sold that uses scripts. You might see opportunities to make something better or create a brand new market niche. There are things that require no graphics or the purchaser supplies the design. E g.  A sitting script for a couch could be sold and the purchaser adds that script to their couch. There's also working with other creators instead of direct to customers. 

Also, be sure to have your brand name attached to your work. 

• Like 1

Sadly you can't just script to make money in Second life. Like you can sell the script, but chances are you wont make much from it. Most scripters team up with someone that knows how to use blender. If you start meshing stuff, that's scripted when you can start bringing in serious money. Making mesh heads, bodies, weapons, you name it.

Edit: But yes, there is no point in learning LSL unless you wish to make scripts for yourself, Learned how to use blender, or Found someone that can mesh willing to work with you. LSL scripts don't really sell.

Edited by Haselden
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Haselden said:

But yes, there is no point in learning LSL unless you wish to make scripts for yourself, Learned how to use blender, or Found someone that can mesh willing to work with you.

This part is generally true.  People who are skilled mesh creators do not typically have skills for scripting as well.  In fact, they don't typically know how to create objects with scripting in mind, so they often create mesh without thinking about how doors will need to rotate or which parts of a model will need to be kept as separate faces in order to make it easy to switch textures, alpha, or lighting effects.  Similarly, scripters don't typically have enough skill with Blender or Maya to make decent models with proper LOD and optimized L.I.  These days, we depend on each other and generally work in teams except when we're doing something truly simple or unique.  However .....

11 minutes ago, Haselden said:

LSL scripts don't really sell.

This part isn't necessarily true.  There are plenty of scripts that do sell, even if you don't include a fancy mesh object to drop them in. Utility scripts for visitor counters, prim finders, radars, teleporters, and all sorts of everyday tasks are always in demand, and buyers seem to keep coming up with ideas for features that require customized bells and whistles.  A lot of the work on those scripts is little nickel and dime work, but it can add up. ( I make a modest trickle of side income from utility scripts in Marketplace, although I more often just post them in the LSL Script Library for free public use.) More importantly, once you create a clever script to do something that nobody else has tried yet, you can establish a market for the script itself.  Scripters in the past have established themselves that way by creating packages like AvSitter and CasparVend that are now licensed everywhere in SL.  As Linden Lab opens up Animesh and Baked on Mesh, I'm sure that scripters will move in to create niches for themselves. 

• Like 4

I don't know if this is what you mean, but the 3rd party Android app for SL is out of date & it seems unlikely that it's going to be corrected anytime soon.  There is definitely a user base that would pay to obtain a working Android or tablet viewer.  I believe linden Labs is working on an iOS version.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 10:41 AM, Mehran30 said:

How can I make money using in-game programming?

By finding someone who wants to pay you for in-game programming. The demand in SL is really high, so if you learn LSL, you'll make quite a lot really quickly.

Live long and prosperous! 

✌ Nanu nanu

[Update] You know what? I'm in a generous mood and had this really crazy idea: I looked up a link for you, a road of riches and fame, as it were.

https://community.secondlife.com/search/?q=scripter&type=forums_topic

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:44 AM, Mehran30 said:

I wanted to make sure that I could make money without having the skills to do graphic work.

Learn graphical skills, spend a little time each day teaching yourself. You don’t need to be a master artist but learning some graphical skill to go alongside your coding practices will open the door to an even wider range of jobs or projects that you can take on / do. 

My skill set as a coder in SL goes in the following order from most confident to least confident...

LSL 100%

Graphics 80%

Mesh 50%

Animation 20%

Sound design : 10%

All are skills I had to teach myself as a coder in SL for various projects of my own or for others that I was working on.

I will level with you over making money as a coder. For the most part it will be small amounts or money made from selling your own projects, it’s not often you get hired for the 1000USD+ projects if at all. In my 13 years in SL it’s happened twice and that’s twice more than 80% of SL coders generally see. I am not saying that I special or anything so don’t think that, just right place right time luck kind of thing. The rest have been $50USD here, 2k lindens there. Unless you come up with a groundbreaking new product that everyone on the grid is going to want you will mostly be making the occasional spending money for use in SL. And most of the bigger coding projects that make decent money usually have other aspects added in from the skill set listed above.

Examples :

Breedables : Coding, graphics, 3D

DCS Combat : Coding, graphics, animation, 3D

Animare : Coding, Prims, Graphics

Security Systems : Coding and a prim but more often graphics, sometimes mesh

There are some exceptions such as AvSitter and Prim2Mesh which are pure code but again...it’s finding that project.

The more you learn and the more skills you have the more you will be able to create and do. I was terrible at graphics when I first started and now I am generally able to slap together what I need for the project in question.

Happy learning!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.