Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
autonug

What can I do to scammers ?

Recommended Posts

Well it has happened twice now, someone asked for Lindens in exchange for something (not escorting or anything like that) and later they were no where to be found not answering messages nothing. All conversation are in IMs with me showing they did promised (not contract just in chats in IM ). Is there something I can do, apart from being more careful from next time ?

Sorry for errors if any, English is not my first language and I often make mistakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can file an Abuse Report that you believe the person is scamming residents but don't expect to get LL to send you any of your lost linden dollars. LL also won't tell you if they took any action against the scammer. That's about all you can do. It's not very cathartic. As Love says, be careful with your dollars in SL.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@autonug

  • Don't give money to people who ask for it, no matter how serious their crisis sounds or how attractive the benefit to you sounds.
  • Don't click links that people post in IM, chat, or in group chats unless you are SURE they're safe.  They may lead to "phishing" sites that try to trick you out of your SL password.
  • If you are given something, and it asks for permission to take $L from you when you wear it or rez it, do NOT click "Allow".  It will take all the money from your account.

I teach a class on Avatar Safety on Sundays at 1000 SL Time*, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend!

But to answer your original question, "What can I do to scammers?" the answer is:

  • Don't fall for it
  • Don't let others fall for it
  • Submit an Abuse Report
  • If they are in a group you own or manage, ban and eject them from the group
  • If you own land, ban them from your land

If you do anything else to them they may be able to submit an Abuse Report on YOU.

*OOOPS!  Corrected.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, autonug said:

Well it has happened twice now, someone asked for Lindens in exchange for something (not escorting or anything like that) and later they were no where to be found not answering messages nothing. All conversation are in IMs with me showing they did promised (not contract just in chats in IM ). Is there something I can do, apart from being more careful from next time ?

Sorry for errors if any, English is not my first language and I often make mistakes. 

File an AR but you aren't likely to get your Ls back. BE sure to include at least the part of the chat log showing where you were asked, where you paid, and where you were promised to be paid back. 

Don't give Ls to people you just met. And don't fall for the "can I borrow" bit. They aren't out to borrow, they are out to steal your Ls. And don't ever be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Sure, we don't always get the desired reaction but it's the help we need, not the reactions.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@autonug

  • Don't give money to people who ask for it, no matter how serious their crisis sounds or how attractive the benefit to you sounds.
  • Don't click links that people post in IM, chat, or in group chats unless you are SURE they're safe.  They may lead to "phishing" sites that try to trick you out of your SL password.
  • If you are given something, and it asks for permission to take $L from you when you wear it or rez it, do NOT click "Allow".  It will take all the money from your account.

I teach a class on Avatar Safety on Saturdays at 12 noon SL Time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend!

Thank you Lindal. 

Do you have a list of your classes and what they entail? Of course dates and times would be good, too. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Thank you Lindal. 

Do you have a list of your classes and what they entail? Of course dates and times would be good, too. ;)

Glad you asked!

Smart Shopper Fundamentals:  Friday, 1700 (5 pm)  Getting $L, product quality, finding things, bargains, freebies, shopper groups, hunts, shopping scams

Buying and Renting Land: Saturday, 1200 (12 noon)  Mainland, Linden Homes, Private Estates, rentals.  Finding land.  Comparing costs.  Field Trip to look at land.

Avatar Safety:  Sunday, 1000 (10 am)  Caging, deforming, death, RLV, vampires, particle and object spam attacks, and many other "practical jokes".  Land scams, shopping scams, phishing, account debiting, stalking.  Alts.  Abuse Reporting, banning, privacy.

Classes last a minimum of one hour, and generally go about 1 1/2 hour.  The Land class can stretch to 2 hours, due to the field trip.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its transactions done in world, Linden labs wont do dick even if you were scammed. Bloodlines has this issue quite alot, and is terrible community.

If you're gonna buy anything I'd suggest marketplace if you're worried about getting scammed. THEN Linden labs will defend from any scams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...