Problem with Bots on my Parcel

Unity SecretSpy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
On 9/5/2019 at 5:56 AM, BJoyful said:

There are completely harmless bots which are used to do important tasks in SL such as gather information for helpful statistics like how many people are online, grid status, taking pictures for the World Map (the ones which appear, spin slowly, and disappear), etc.  They are much more benign than most people fear and many members of SL rely on them to do jobs which do need to be done in world but would be far too monotonous and inaccurate if done by an actual live person behind that avatar.  If they are human sized and attributed they are probably created that way to be less obtrusive and represent an average Resident.  🙂

@Alyona Su it was one of the first few posts on the first page. 

Precisely - they did not say [paraphrasing] "These are..." - they said "there are" as in "there exists...". I believe the intent of that comment was to bring attention to commenters experiencing these to double-check whether their invaders where these or not. :)

Courtesy Copy: @Sparkly Rainbow

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Precisely - they did not say [paraphrasing] "These are..." - they said "there are" as in "there exists...". I believe the intent of that comment was to bring attention to commenters experiencing these to double-check whether their invaders where these or not. :)

Good catch. You’re not just an excellent writer, you read well, too!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Good catch. You’re not just an excellent writer, you read well, too!

Thank you (really, thank you for the compliment). My primary duty in my day job is (rewriting) and creating and reading, proofing and all that stuff for Training manuals. So I have lotsa practiceseses. :D

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think it is interesting this turned out to be a real issue, whereas one early poster claimed they were grid survey bots and “harmless”.

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

@Alyona Su it was one of the first few posts on the first page. 

The post was started off with the exact words "There are completely harmless bots" and that is 100% true. The post continued talking about those type of bots.
Nowhere in that quote did the person specifically say that THESE bots were harmless.

Your statement sounds intentionally inflammatory.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The post was started off with the exact words "There are completely harmless bots" and that is 100% true. The post continued talking about those type of bots.
Nowhere in that quote did the person specifically say that THESE bots were harmless.

Your statement sounds intentionally inflammatory.

Lol no..and Alyona Su corrected me. The post said “There are” not that THESE are which the OP wrote about.

What makes you think my statement was inflammatory? I was pointing out the contrast of the opinions (as I perceived it). 

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Lol no..and Alyona Su corrected me. The post said “There are” not that THESE are which the OP wrote about.

What makes you think my statement was inflammatory? I was pointing out the contrast of the opinions (as I perceived it). 

I could see misreading it the first time through, but I guess I just couldn't figure out how you were still mistakenly misreading it after quoting the exact words.  Thus I assumed you just felt like attacking the post or poster for some reason.

Apologies for the assumption.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just couldn't figure out how you were still mistakenly misreading it after quoting the exact words. 

I did not re-read it before quoting. Not an attack. More like, “what do you think about this contrasting, outlying opinion?” My original impression of it was, “those bots are good, leave them alone!” Such a strong impression that I misread even on quoting.

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did not re-read it before quoting. Not an attack. More like, “what do you think about this contrasting, outlying opinion?” My original impression of it was, “those bots are good, leave them alone!” Such a strong impression that I misread even on quoting.

For what it's worth, my original impression was the same as yours.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

This begs the question, if only SOME bots are harmless, what are the harmful ones doing?

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Apparently, rezzing into people’s homes.

Okay, to be technically correct, even these bots are harmless in the sense that they cannot actually harm anyone or anything.  They were apparently a major annoyance though since they kept dropping directly into people's homes, fairly constantly.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Okay, to be technically correct, even these bots are harmless in the sense that they cannot actually harm anyone or anything.  They were apparently a major annoyance though since they kept dropping directly into people's homes, fairly constantly.

... and are not doing it any more, since LL has apparently figured out who was behind the bot plague and stopped it.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In Second Life, a “major annoyance” inflicted by others is about as close as you’ll come to “harm”.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In Second Life, a “major annoyance” inflicted by others is about as close as you’ll come to “harm”.

Well to swindle you and take your money would be more harm I think.

I was lucky so far but I heard about people who lost all the money they had in SL by tricksters.

And you coukld loose all your inventory.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think it is interesting this turned out to be a real issue, whereas one early poster claimed they were grid survey bots and “harmless”.

I didn’t claim these bots were harmless as I have never seen these bots!  I have seen other harmless bots appear and been advised by others to ban and AR them for simply doing their jobs!  Not all bots are bad.  😉

I’m very glad in this case that this issue is being addressed and investigated as this was obviously causing a disturbance and distress and therefore are obviously not the harmless variety. 🥺

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I was lucky so far but I heard about people who lost all the money they had in SL by tricksters.

And then there are those unfortunate folks that get impacted by a graphics crashing griefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And then there are those unfortunate folks that get impacted by a graphics crashing griefer.

This is the one and only, singular possible method of actually "harming" another person in SL that I have ever heard of in all my time in SL and I've been here for a few days.

32 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

And you coukld loose all your inventory.

Even with $L-stealing objects, you still have to *approve* it happening. If you have a trigger-click-finger and don't read dialog boxes before dismissing them, then whatever happens is on you and only you. Just saying.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

This is the one and only, singular possible method of actually "harming" another person in SL that I have ever heard of in all my time in SL and I've been here for a few days.

Even with $L-stealing objects, you still have to *approve* it happening. If you have a trigger-click-finger and don't read dialog boxes before dismissing them, then whatever happens is on you and only you. Just saying.

I would think the “loose inventory” (their spelling, not mine) issue is either rare, a bug, etc. What say you, can a griffer (my spelling) cause you to “loose” you inventory?

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, that is true.  It does come close to blaming the victim, however. The big yellow dialog box that pops up to ask if you REALLY want to give someone permission to take money from your account is a pretty obvious warning, but I can think of mitigating situations where someone might make a bad choice.

The victim may be:

1. A very recent newcomer to SL, unfamiliar with the L$ economy and not yet wary of the seriousness of risks like this.

2. Non-English speaking, and unsure of what the words mean

3. Medically or psychologically impaired.

4. Distracted by screaming children, barking dogs, telemarketers ...

And others that I'm sure people may add to the list.  I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, but I have found myself in situations where I have been felled by some variation of each of the four circumstance that I listed above.  Fortunately, I have not had a serious disaster as a result, but I have been lost in Croatia because I misread a sign in a language I do not speak, I have stumbled and fallen because I was too sleepy to pay attention to where I was going, and I have made countless unwise decisions while coping with a screaming child or grandchild. 

There are times when each of us has made a stupid regrettable mistake because of inattention or misunderstanding and has become an unwitting victim.  It's our own fault.  We're lucky if we can just give ourselves a dope slap and move on.  Some people aren't so lucky.  That's why telemarketers and Nigerian princes are so successful.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, that is true.  It does come close to blaming the victim, however. The big yellow dialog box that pops up to ask if you REALLY want to give someone permission to take money from your account is a pretty obvious warning, but I can think of mitigating situations where someone might make a bad choice.

The victim may be:

1. A very recent newcomer to SL, unfamiliar with the L$ economy and not yet wary of the seriousness of risks like this.

2. Non-English speaking, and unsure of what the words mean

3. Medically or psychologically impaired.

4. Distracted by screaming children, barking dogs, telemarketers ...

And others that I'm sure people may add to the list.  I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, but I have found myself in situations where I have been felled some variation of each of the four circumstance that I listed above.  Fortunately, I have not had a serious disaster as a result, but I have been lost in Croatia because I misread a sign in a language I do not speak, I have stumbled and fallen because I was too sleepy to pay attention to where I was going, and I have made countless unwise decisions while coping with a screaming child or grandchild. 

There are times when each of us has made a stupid regrettable mistake because of inattention or misunderstanding and has become an unwitting victim.  It's our own fault.  We're lucky if we can just give ourselves a dope slap and move on.  Some people aren't so lucky.  That's why telemarketers and Nigerian princes are so successful.

You make great points and I'm not saying it's the victim is at fault, rather I am saying that whatever happens to them is on them. I concur that they are still a victim and it is unfortunate that something like such has happened. In the same vain, my purview is and always has been: accountability. Own your actions, good or bad, seek responsibility, good or bad, never pass the buck when it's your buck to embrace. Sometimes truth hurts, I've felt that sting many times myself, in-world and here. As painful as it is, I will admit when any counterpoint or comment convinces me that I am mistaken at best and wrong at worst. Otherwise, I will press my point uo to where I feel that point is as clear as I can make it (which, unfortunately, may take more than one comment post.)

So my counter-points (and that's all they are, I'm not saying you're wrong) are:

• A very recent newcomer to SL, unfamiliar with the L$ economy and not yet wary of the seriousness of risks like this.
    • As a newcomer, I tend to read everything because I am still in learning mode. if I see a dialog that looks vastly different from all others, it will get my attention.
  • Non-English speaking, and unsure of what the words mean
    • Non-english speaking should be using a system that is set to their native language, so even the dialog should be presented in their native language.
  • Medically or psychologically impaired.
    • This is a fair point, though I would presume that they are under supervision of some kind, or, if they are cognitive enough to earn or buy Linden Dollars, they will be cognitive enough to know when the system is asking permission to spend those Linden Dollars.
  • Distracted by screaming children, barking dogs, telemarketers ...
    • Which makes my exact point: haphazardly dismissing the dialog by clicking the "Approve" option, rather than saying NO or IGNORE. (And to be clear - they could just leave it there, it will stay there until an option is elected and even just logging out will cancel it and then ask again when logging back in.)

So we can either agree to disagree or agree that we can both be correct. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I would think the “loose inventory” (their spelling, not mine) issue is either rare, a bug, etc. What say you, can a griffer (my spelling) cause you to “loose” you inventory?

PROTIP: If you quote anyone who misspells a word or uses the wrong word, you can add [sic] just behind that word. :) For your own intentional misspelling, you can use parenthesis to denote it. :)

I'M NOT BASHING YOU! LOL I just like to teaching stuff to peoples, unfortunately, lotsa people dunnwannahearit and that makes me sad. LOL

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

PROTIP: If you quote anyone who misspells a word or uses the wrong word, you can add [sic] just behind that word. :) For your own intentional misspelling, you can use parenthesis to denote it. :)

I'M NOT BASHING YOU! LOL I just like to teaching stuff to peoples, unfortunately, lotsa people dunnwannahearit and that makes me sad. LOL

I knew this, I just wanted to be sure others knew I was quoting someone else. Putting just [sic] wouldn’t have shown that, but yes I should have added it.

17 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

So we can either agree to disagree or agree that we can both be correct. :)

Oh, we're not arguing or disagreeing about anything.  We're both simply recognizing that life isn't as simple as advertised.  People make mistakes and bad things happen. The fact that the mistakes were avoidable is almost irrelevant -- most mistakes are avoidable, after all, and it's unrealistic to believe in a world with zero risk.  If there is any difference in perspective between your initial observation and mine, it is that I find it regrettable that some people, some of the time put more emphasis on who made the mistake than on why it happened. [Not you, necessarily.  I do it myself. It's another one of those human failings.]

As I said earlier, this is why telemarketers and Nigerian princes are so successful. They know what can lead intelligent, alert, well-meaning people like you and me to make unwise choices.  And they have statistics on their side. To make money, they only need to be successful a vanishingly small amount of the time.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I knew this, I just wanted to be sure others knew I was quoting someone else. Putting just [sic] wouldn’t have shown that, but yes I should have added it.

Nooo! I'm not saying you should have, I'm just saying you could have. :) I LUVS U! 🥰 ~Squeeze the lion hard with both arms wrapped tightly the way a toddler squeezes the puppy~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.