Styling service, would it work?

Ryuni Helstein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

Lately i have been thinking of starting my own personal shopper / styling service for those who wish to upgrade from classic avatars to mesh. I know how frustrating and overwhelming it can be to shop when you have no idea where to even look or start. So i thought that if i created this that people would want to have me take them places in second life so that they can ask questions and get a feel for how things work when buying demos and things. This way even tho the forms can help with this sometimes waiting on a reply or searching for the right form can also be hard. so i would do that leg work for them. My concern however is i do not want my time of helping people to be free, if people are serious enough to want to upgrade and have me take them around in world to get upgraded do you think me asking them to pay me a small fee would be fair? Once they pay me that small fee id be spending several hours with them if they choose that. I've already written up note cards to clarify that i would not be giving them the Linden to shop  but that they would use there own cards to put the linden in themselves, i wanted to get the public's opinion. All i ask that if you reply please be kind,  

Thanks 

Well I know that second life was overwhelming 10 years ago when I first rezzed.  Now with mesh everything, I can't even imagine how confusing things must be for a new player.  Luckily, friends took me by the hand and led me to seraphim & 50L Fridays.  That really got me going down the rabbit hole of shopping.  :). 

So I assume your styling service would be something akin to that?  Finding out what someone would like their Avatar to look like and then guiding them to appropriate shops, and explaining the process of building their avatar from all the pieces.  

That would be a great help too many people, I just don't understand how you would be able to advertise that?  New players don't necessarily know about these forums.  And I don't know that you could be allowed to advertise in groups?  It's doubtful that many would find you through the search feature either.  All I can think of is standing in noobie telehubs- are there still such things? 

Good luck in your venture!!

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

Strawberry Singh once promoted a styling service called the Makeover Agency here: https://strawberrysingh.com/2018/10/19/the-makeover-agency-in-second-life/

She also asked people interested in providing styling services to comment on this blogpost: https://strawberrysingh.com/2018/05/03/do-you-offer-personal-styling-services-in-second-life/

@Ryuni Helstein

I do a bit of this in world, really because I want to pay forward all the help I had early on both in world from strangers and here in the forums.

I didn't really appreciate at the time how much difference that made to my advancement. Especially in understanding animations, mesh bodies and heads, and skins.

For me, it's just about helping, so I decided not to charge, and I don't advertise anywhere, but good luck with your venture. There are loads of people needing help out there.

• Like 3

I was truly over-whelmed by appliers and huds when I first arrived here that I stayed a classic avatar for about eight months.  I just did not get appliers and huds at the time BUT I was learning to build too...so was pretty much involved with that.

I decided to get a mesh body first which really helped me understand appliers.

I think if you find lots of free or very inexpensive items for newbies to try...your service will more or less pay itself with the savings newbies could have.

If someone wants a make-over you could charge a little more because a make-over is very entailed.  

I think it's a great idea, btw!  Kind of like an image consultant in real life.  But, I'd find some very inexpensive items and/or free items which are great for newbies to try. 

I have started a group It's 99 Lindens or Less which is really about items that have everyday great prices rather than sales and I am inviting creators personally myself, although special sales people are welcome to advertise in the group for free also if the sale item is 99 lindens or less.   My group is free to join and free to advertise in.  My It's 99 Lindens or Less group is just in it's infancy, so give it some time.  

*I work with low income, newbies and the alt market because peoples have bills in real life.  So, I am familiar with a lot of low cost items.  Drop a notecard to me anytime if you'd like some references to those.  

I'm not new to second life, this is just my first post on the forum. So I'm not looking for your services..

There are lots of styling agencies already, they have paid to partner up with bloggers to get traffic or just know the right people.

Since you have made a forum post here already you should post a few pictures for people to see.

FYI I never look at notecards from random people in random places and receiving one would probably turn me off.

While I understand your point here, and yes that would be fun to do for L$ you need to make it seem passionate rather than just $

I think the idea is workable.  You should charge a lot more than $L50 though, and probably on an hourly basis. 

As an alternative, you may be able to make more money, reach more people, and do it in less time with a monetized fashion blog about SL.  There are lots of these already, but if you have a unique and popular style and approach there is always room at the top.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.