You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am due a new laptop and have about £1000 ($1250) to spend. I don't want anything too bulky but want something that will handle SL ok.

Any recommendations? All advice/suggestions welcome.

I have seen a Huawei Matebook X PRO 13.9-Inch Intel Core i7 16GB 512GB SSD Ultrabook Laptop but there are 2 versions - Intel UHD Graphics 620 version (UK) and Nvidia GeForce MX150 version (rest of the world!) 

If I could find an Nvidia version I was tempted to get that.

Thoughts?

Why don't you take a look at Dell's Alienware laptop range and Razors laptop range - built for gamers.

Alienware -> https://dell.to/2lDIFkP

Razor Laptops -> https://bit.ly/2lviY6f

Also, if you're interested in a Mac at all - I have both a MacBook Pro and an iMac, and they run SL fine - let us know how you get on! ☺️

Edited by Benjamin Opel

I just bought this a couple months ago and have been very pleased. I am able to run on maxed out settings with zero issues, and my husband uses it for other games with no issues as well. It was $1100, so in your price range. It is pretty bulky, though. 

AF3AD4EE-DC2B-41AD-A1A9-1CF6174CE43A.thumb.png.5b66ee7063f6eeabc078ba9d2debd6ef.png

• Like 1

I'd second Eva's recommendation...I had an ASUS laptop that was maybe three or four years older than this one, and it ran SL very nicely.

2 hours ago, Virtualnsanity said:

I am due a new laptop and have about £1000 ($1250) to spend. I don't want anything too bulky but want something that will handle SL ok

My thought are "handle SL ok" is vague.  

The refurbished HP Pavilion handles SL ok If you don't make high demands on it.  The Macbook pro on the other hand handles the high demands.  How demanding is your SL experience; shadows? High draw distance? Long stretches of texting with no real visuals? Lots of crowds and lots to render at once? Or hairtrigger pew-pew battle sequences? 

Fun times though, getting new tech is exciting.

7 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Oh, to travel back in time and not buy a gaming laptop specifically for SL. 

Some reasons might be helpful

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Oh, to travel back in time and not buy a gaming laptop specifically for SL. 

Why? I can’t imagine what there would be to regret, but maybe I’m missing something.

Edited by Eva Knoller
Forgot the word “to”.

Funny, I have a old, like 5 year old Alienware that will run SL better then my newish desktop.😖 So I would not look for something top of the line just for this game.

10 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some reasons might be helpful

Just because you're stuck with the junk in the trunk. Desktops are easy to upgrade.

1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Just because you're stuck with the junk in the trunk. Desktops are easy to upgrade.

Yes, that is true. 

I bought both - a desktop for home and a laptop specifically geared towards SL for travel.  Years ago, I did have just a laptop for a while and while it was great to grab it for travel, it sucked when it needed some upgrading that just could not be easily done.  When things have to be replaced, I won't ever go without a desktop again, even if my budget requires me to scale back on a laptop.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.