When typing, do you use punctuation to express your emotion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

of sounding abrupt, or overly formal, or bored -- when ending every communication with a period, so I tend to often (maybe too often?) substitute exclamation or question marks.

No. PLEASE. DO. NOT. DO.THIS.

Better to suffer zero punctuation at all, save for commas, than OVER-USED EXCLAMATION POINTS OR ALL-CAPITAL CHARACTERS AND EVEN WORSE, WHEN THEY ARE BOLDED!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Better to suffer zero punctuation at all, save for commas, than OVER-USED EXCLAMATION POINTS OR ALL-CAPITAL CHARACTERS AND EVEN WORSE, WHEN THEY ARE BOLDED!!!!!!

Well, really, it's just another way of expressing meaning!

Generally, I think, it conveys a sense of tone that is a bit different from a full stop?

😊

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Surely Scylla did not mean to encourage multiple exclamation points.  That would be an offence against all laws of nature, to say nothing of good taste.  Bolding, on the other hand, is fine, if not overdone.  

I have been known to use multiple exclamation points, but only (she hastened to add) in rare and very colloquial contexts invariably associated with one-on-one conversations. My interlocutors usually seem to be forgiving. At least, none have yet stomped away in disgust.

(Yet.)

23 minutes ago, eyeye Afterthought said:
On 9/1/2019 at 10:31 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

...tells the Brat to steal all of Rhonda's periods and hide them in the pantry.

Typical man - I was wondering how you go about stealing a woman's periods (please steal my girlfriend's) and realised you meant full stops. 

That was quite my point too, a couple of pages back....  🙃

On 9/1/2019 at 10:31 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

...tells the Brat to steal all of Rhonda's periods and hide them in the pantry.

/me wonders why anyone in her right mind would want someone else's periods.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I can think of far worse punctuation errors than an extra exclamation point or two!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have been known to use multiple exclamation points, but only (she hastened to add) in rare and very colloquial contexts invariably associated with one-on-one conversations. My interlocutors usually seem to be forgiving. At least, none have yet stomped away in disgust.

(Yet.)

/me stomps away in dis gust

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, really, it's just another way of expressing meaning!

Generally, I think, it conveys a sense of tone that is a bit different from a full stop?

😊

As I've mentioned in my "laws of punctuation in the English language post so follow them or else" comment above, ~winks~ When "live-chatting" (which I believe forum posts to be) then style is usually pretty casual, so punctuation rules are often more optional, other than for clarification of what is meant through the words. Such as my fun little "...thank us Moles..." catch in another threads (where it should have been "...thank us, Moles..." LOL

But, really, no one should over use exclamations at any time, not because it's wrong, but because, as stated by another above, it seriously diminishes the intended and perceived emotion it is supposed to project.

Just as with expletives. Have you ever seen that movie "Pleasantville"? There is a single expletive used only once in the entire movie and when it is use it was a shock. It was such a punch-in-the-face precisely because it was used only once and it made a very clear point in the entire story; not the word, but the shock of hearing it. :) 

Well, same with exclamation points. An emoji as a punctuation symbol works for me, though :)

👍

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

But, really, no one should over use exclamations at any time, not because it's wrong, but because, as stated by another above, it seriously diminishes the intended and perceived emotion it is supposed to project.

You are presuming that diminishing the emotion is not the intent!!!!!!!!!!

What if it is?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You are presuming that diminishing the emotion is not the intent!!!!!!!!!!

What if it is?

Reverse psychology?  As in "I hate you!!!!!!!" == "Ho-hum. You're a bore." ?  That's more subtlety than I give the average person credit for.

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Reverse psychology?  As in "I hate you!!!!!!!" == "Ho-hum. You're a bore." ?  That's more subtlety than I give the average person credit for.

Haven't I been a fair example of this over the years? The more pronounced my rant, the less you believe I actually care. In RL, I'm known for throwing tantrums and hissy fits over meaningless things. Several years ago, I dined at a fancy country club with my neighbor, who's on the club's board of directors. I couldn't pronounce half the stuff on the menu.

Waitress: "May I take your order?"
Me: "Filet whatsit on a bed of aaahhh-ooooh-gggah? What the hell is that? Why can't you offer me either a hamburger or macaroni and cheese, so I know I'm picking the right thing?"

During the first moment, the waitress wasn't sure what to make of me, but the more I ranted, the more she started to smile. When I said "I want something from the kitchen that YOU and I could afford", she burst out laughing.

Waitress: "I know just the thing."

Ten minutes later, she returned with a beautiful bowl of baked macaroni and cheese. It was simultaneously so-so and the best I've ever had, or will have.

An hour later, I gave her a tip that was enough to cover a "Filet whatsit" and said "Don't spend it here".

There is (sometimes?) a method to my madness.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, ErukaVonD said:

most people think I write with an angry tone of sorts.

Which is their issue, not yours. So keep on keeping on, wenchy biotch!

(See, speaking plainly tends to be taken as anger for some weird, odd, strange reason. Go figure.)

23 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Haven't I been a fair example of this over the years? The more pronounced my rant, the less you believe I actually care. In RL, I'm known for throwing tantrums and hissy fits over meaningless things. Several years ago, I dined at a fancy country club with my neighbor, who's on the club's board of directors. I couldn't pronounce half the stuff on the menu.

Waitress: "May I take your order?"
Me: "Filet whatsit on a bed of aaahhh-ooooh-gggah? What the hell is that? Why can't you offer me either a hamburger or macaroni and cheese, so I know I'm picking the right thing?"

During the first moment, the waitress wasn't sure what to make of me, but the more I ranted, the more she started to smile. When I said "I want something from the kitchen that YOU and I could afford", she burst out laughing.

Waitress: "I know just the thing."

Ten minutes later, she returned with a beautiful bowl of baked macaroni and cheese. It was simultaneously so-so and the best I've ever had, or will have.

An hour later, I gave her a tip that was enough to cover a "Filet whatsit" and said "Don't spend it here".

There is (sometimes?) a method to my madness.

You are just awesome.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.