When typing, do you use punctuation to express your emotion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

In Second Life chat itself I tend to avoid punctuation, but this is mainly for the sake of speed. But in other places (such as this forum), I do use punctuation a lot to help me emote.

Examples: (Try to guess the emotion!)

"I guess...."    Unenthusiastic.

"Yes."              Neutral agreement.  May also denote a politely-worded lack of interest.

"No!"              Emphatic disagreement.

"Huh?!?"        Puzzlement.

"Yeah?"          Mild astonishment; skepticism (depending on context)

"Help!!!"         Fright.

• Like 4

I tend to not overuse "!" or "?" myself and don't use them for emoting that much, but "..." I do use quite often to make a pause here and there; I prefer to use /me however, it is a more expressive way for me, but I've spent tons of time on IRC roleplay chats, mailing groups or Furcadia in the past, so I'm a little biased, I guess. I have a habit of trying to be grammar-correct punctuation-wise and I was told once, that putting a period at the end of sentences made me look like I was constantly angry and serious.

No idea what they've meant.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Haha 1

I use punctuation.  In fact, I sometimes use ONLY punctuation.  Like...

My friend: "Hi Sadie!"  Me:  ?

When chatting in SL, though, I usually neglect to capitalize the first word of my first sentence.  Deplorable, I know.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

I am the opposite, I tend to under-use punctuation and often don't even use it even where I should. I'm the same with capitalisation, I usually don't bother in chat. Typing with one hand is far quicker when you ignore the shift key.

Of course I was careful to use proper punctuation in this post because I just know someone will be checking.

6 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I am the opposite, I tend to under-use punctuation and often don't even use it even where I should. I'm the same with capitalisation, I usually don't bother in chat. Typing with one hand is far quicker when you ignore the shift key.

Of course I was careful to use proper punctuation in this post because I just know someone will be checking.

You did great. But I wasn't checking.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.