Win10 Update version 1903 - Red Screen Freeze

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now I KNOW this was on the forums a couple of months ago. I made a sticky note with the fix for it.  BUT search isn't finding it and it is REALLY important to know so I am posting my info from today.

Ran the Second Life viewer in order to answer a question on these forums.

Found the answer the the question, logged out of Second Life Viewer. 

OMG!

It was like a Mandelbrot abstract of mostly red with green and yellow.  The Task Manager was happily solid red so that I could see something, but even the task bar was multi-colored.  A reboot fixed this but WHY hasn't it been fixed in the SL viewer?   This apparently isn't a new problem, but with a ton of my friends also getting this update it may become problematic.   It seems unrealistic for people  to have to reboot their machine when logging out of SL :D

The "crash" or whatever also had about two-thirds of my sticky notes disappear -- so that info is gone (which included the fix) so I am hoping @Whirly Fizzle  will either post that fix or maybe link to that older thread as I am assume it is the same problem. 

Got my stickies back and found my notes from that other thread.  Not sure if this is the exact same issue but here is what I copied:

The latest Windows 10 update is causing this problem now.
* If you have logged out of the viewer & have the messed up screen colours, use the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B  to reset the graphics.
* Try the new LL Rainbow-RC viewer, which has a fix specifically for this bug - you can download it here: https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.2.3.527758.html

Everything is fine again but I will NOT be logging in on the Linden Viewer (like ever LOL). NASTY. 

Probably doesn't matter much but system info from FIRESTORM after the incident:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3298.1 MHz)
Memory: 16286 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.295)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 24.21.13.9924
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 399.24

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.10.10
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 2560x1377 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.5
Draw distance: 120 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-5-14T11:37:0 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 3/2,340 (0.1%)
August 31 2019 13:07:28 SLT

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

I didn't install a new Linden viewer. Just used what I had before. I was NOT prompted to install a newer version.   So yes,  it likely was  older (really don't want to "test" again as it was scary and painful :D).   Shouldn't it have had me install a new version with the fix? It had always done that in the past?  That didn't happen  -- either before logging in or as an auto-download in the taskbar.    

This was also after the recent BIG NEW FEATURES Win10 update (Pro).  Other than that I haven't changed anything on my computer in a couple of months.  

I WILL uninstall my current Linden viewer and should I ever need to use it again I will install a new one from the website.  

Thanks.

Almost instant edit :D.   I uninstalled the Linden viewer and got LOTS of "do you really want to install **** part of the program" messages along the way  -- like five. So THAT was most likely the new Win10 update --- and also likely why I got so many warnings when trying to install Black Dragon (another thread).   

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.