"Waiting for region handshake..."

celestialsasara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I left the first section in Tutorial Island where they show you the controls, got stuck in a wall in the area afterwards, and tried to press the back button to get out, but the viewer either lost connection or crashed, and I can't log back in.

I get this message: "We're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your Internet connection or the Second Life Grid."

It happens after I get this message: "Waiting for region handshake..."

I tried teleporting home, "My last location", and a couple of the editor's picks, but none of them work.

Edit: I tried again after a day, and still the same thing happened.

Edited by celestialsasara

4 answers to this question

It does sound like a connection problem, exactly as the message says. In most cases, the problem can be traced to something quite close to you.  The usual suspects are your router and your modem, so unplug both from the power for a few minutes, then plug them back in and restart everything.  That may clear out the cobwebs and establish a firmer Internet connection.  Avoid using wireless if possible and certainly avoid using a satellite connection.  Check to be sure that your computer meets the recommended standards for Second Life.

The problem is not usually the speed of your connection but its stability.  Unlike online games, YouTube, e-mail, and most of the other things that you do with your machine, SL is sensitive to momentary interruptions in your connection and to signal lag (long ping time). Your viewer and the Linden Lab servers trade information back and forth 45 times a second.  If they get out of sync, you'll get progressively worse performance in world and will have a hard time getting or maintaining a connection. The "region handshake" is the initial attempt at establishing a solid link to Linden Lab servers.

10 hours ago, celestialsasara said:

I left the first section in Tutorial Island where they show you the controls, got stuck in a wall in the area afterwards, and tried to press the back button to get out, but the viewer either lost connection or crashed, and I can't log back in.

I get this message: "We're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your Internet connection or the Second Life Grid."

It happens after I get this message: "Waiting for region handshake..."

I tried teleporting home, "My last location", and a couple of the editor's picks, but none of them work.

Edit: I tried again after a day, and still the same thing happened.

What I say here is not official and is only my own hypothesis based on how I understand the simulator server software works:

You'll have to create a new account. The problem is that the tutorial region is a special region new users land on. The system does not assign you a "home" location until you leave it. (Pro tip for ALT creators: view world map and TP out of tutorial region to anywhere you want your initial home location to be, even Linden protected land.)

The problem with your connection is that logging into the system it doesn't't know where to put you. You could submit a support ticket, but that may be more work and time than it is worth.

Edited by Alyona Su

14 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The problem with your connection is that logging into the system it doesn't't know where to put you.

I doubt that this is correct.  If the servers don't know where to put you, they will always put you at a a random "nearby" spot.  This sort of thing happens sometimes to all of us occasionally when we try to teleport to someplace where we do not have permission to go. Instead of just refusing to teleport you, the system sends you someplace else and says Ooops.  The region handshake message, on the other hand, is telling you about a bad connection.  In addition to the solution I suggested earlier, take a look at https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_fail

Alonya's hypothesis is interesting, but I go along with Rolig.  There are bound to be people on Learning Island when there have been major grid outages, and I don't recall a mass of them reporting problems logging back in when the crash is fixed.  In fact, I seem to recall at least one person who DID post a question, but it was because they'd been logged in to a random Infohub instead of the Orientation Island that they had been on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.