Black Dragon download and install problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So Black Dragon viewer was just updated the to BOM (three hours ago). By chance I was looking at the viewer blog and planning to download. Haven't tried it in years but adventure is good. 

But after reading and studying and downloading ---   the EXE file (I tried two different ones) changes extensions with a warning.  I always scan for viruses before installing and did that but there is nothing wrong with the file (I didn't expect there to be). 

So my question is --- is this normal? Am I supposed to rename the file back to exe so that I can install?  I didn't see any mention of this on the blog so confused.  Also important to note that I got the new Windows update early this morning and that could be part of the issue.  I have never seen this happen before so slightly puzzled.

I downloaded both the 3 hours old version (what I was going for) and the one below that just in case it was a file issue. 

image.thumb.png.3c126c8ea51deda53a2cc7aed2159a62.png

Thanks for any hints on this. 

EDIT:  I figured out part of the issue.  Here is a screenshot of what was happening. 

image.png.3d07888c6b49f0d916b1d4f89d14b5ae.png

By using Edge browser which has no ad blocking on it (for me) I could get the exe file to download. I am still getting plenty of warning messages from both Edge and Windows Defender though. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Haha 2

I got curious and downloaded this viewer.
Works like every other viewer - it downloaded within a few seconds and I get a working exe file.
It's hosted by bitbucket and everything not on the bitbucket domain is blocked here (pictures, media, scripts, ads, whatever) 
So I don't see any server sided problems. 

That doesn't help you much but gives you a hint maybe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

I got curious and downloaded this viewer.
Works like every other viewer - it downloaded within a few seconds and I get a working exe file.
It's hosted by bitbucket and everything not on the bitbucket domain is blocked here (pictures, media, scripts, ads, whatever) 
So I don't see any server sided problems. 

That doesn't help you much but gives you a hint maybe.

I did get an exe finally by using Edge browser.  Everything is probably fine but I just got way to many warnings to make me feel comfortable. I have never had those with any other viewer.   So I think I will wait a bit and try again sometime in the future. Appreciate your comment though.   

I am very big on privacy and security == partly because of my RL background, so I err on the side of caution almost always.      

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I did get an exe finally by using Edge browser.  Everything is probably fine but I just got way to many warnings to make me feel comfortable. I have never had those with any other viewer.   So I think I will wait a bit and try again sometime in the future. Appreciate your comment though.   

I am very big on privacy and security == partly because of my RL background, so I err on the side of caution almost always.      

I got a clean download and good install with firefox and a security setup that's probably about as paranoid as yours is. Apart from the obligatory "I dont want to run this because it's a new file and I dont know the publisher" from windows, and the usual digital dopeslap from my keyboard to make it do as I darn well tell it to, no flags or warnings.

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I got a clean download and good install with firefox and a security setup that's probably about as paranoid as yours is. Apart from the obligatory "I dont want to run this because it's a new file and I dont know the publisher" from windows, and the usual digital dopeslap from my keyboard to make it do as I darn well tell it to, no flags or warnings.

Thanks. Guessing it is most likely the "new to me" Win10 updated security.   I guess I should test another viewer download and see if I get the same warnings.    I could also see what the file does on my notebook which hasn't had the big update (two hours for a friend who has to babysit his as he has passwords on while I do not --- I just went to bed LOL).      Doubt my notebook would run it all that well of course, but a good test.  

Appreciate the reply.  

Adding on to this fairly quickly.

I downloaded the Catznip viewer (using Brave with no issues) and it worked as expected. I could install it also as expected with no extra warnings etc. 

Tried the Black Dragon again and while I didn't get a series of "you don't want to do this" type of messages the install was blocked. This is different than what happened yesterday.    I understand that this doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. NOT saying that it is.      

That's my report. 

378924269_blackdragonandcatznipviewers.jpg.397f132bf36c721dbe3ee0fce73f4c65.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

Well keep in mind that this is self-published, self-packed executable and moreover a WinRar "installer". So no official installer or signage. It's as plain and simple as it can get... well almost, it could be a zip actually but i figured a simple installer would help people who are... eh less technically versed.

I do take privacy and security serious too and i investigate any report i may get about shady stuff going on (just got a big boomer a day ago) hence why i don't use a normal installer, it allows you to simply open the installer with WinRar (or 7zip) and look right into it or extract it manually if you don't trust the "installer", it should also make it much easier for any antivirus software to scan it.

I'd also like to note that you should never ever EVER, in your entire lifetime, accept direct links to Viewer downloads, i've got a blog and a download link there which sends you to a explanatory pre-download page which should clear up some first-start issues and explain the difference between AVX/nonAVX, many people skip it because they get direct links and with direct links i cannot make sure that you will land on the actual download page and download the same file as i do whenever i go after a potential virus report.

44 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

I'd also like to note that you should never ever EVER, in your entire lifetime, accept direct links to Viewer downloads, i've got a blog and a download link there which sends you to a explanatory pre-download page which should clear up some first-start issues and explain the difference between AVX/nonAVX, many people skip it because they get direct links and with direct links i cannot make sure that you will land on the actual download page and download the same file as i do whenever i go after a potential virus report.

Thanks. I did read EXTENSIVELY at your website.  I went from the link at your website.  So that was never an issue.  I am SO not new at this LOL.  

Wish you all the best. Maybe in the future I will try again. Know you have many fans. 

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Thanks. I did read EXTENSIVELY at your website.  I went from the link at your website.  So that was never an issue.  I am SO not new at this LOL.  

Wish you all the best. Maybe in the future I will try again. Know you have many fans. 

Me? Fans? More like a lot of haters.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThorinII said:

Maybe that was the problem

*...... runns!   s015.gif

Nope, I tried three browsers and EDGE (which I don't use normally) was the only one that would download the file completely.   I said that somewhere in my posts :D.      

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.