The future of Lara?

angelikiinha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Might have to be careful about being able to change foot size, I have a vested interest to look out for my shoe collection and making sure they still fit.

If feet are adjustable it would be a simple matter of reverting to foot size 0 to wear shoes. It was always that way with classic avatar shoes before mesh existed.

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

If feet are adjustable it would be a simple matter of reverting to foot size 0 to wear shoes. It was always that way with classic avatar shoes before mesh existed.

That setting the foot size to zero is why we all hand cankles. I'm never going back there again!

But having two sets of feet .. one normal and one rigged (wouldn't use a bento bone so technically wouldn't be "bento") so that the foot size responded to the foot slider might be a nice option for those who want to go barefoot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Lara is and has been the most popular mesh body in SL so far and that is for good reason.

It's inexpensive first, and second, most, not all, creators of add-ons and apparel always include a Lara version in their offerings, many exclusively. Though I don't have any problems finding these things for my other bodies, it does take a little 'verification research" before purchase (which most should do, even if your main is a Lara.)

Edited by Alyona Su

7 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Oh, hallelujah! I guess I'll keep my old HUD, so I have access to both sets of skins. 

Gryphon Ronas has stated already much earlier that when Maitreya body is updated the HUD will have both sets of Glam Affair skins. The ones what are there now, and also the new skins. So there is no need to keep the old HUD when the update comes.

Edited by Coby Foden

On 9/2/2019 at 4:18 AM, Matty Luminos said:

I don't understand Matty, my Lara foot size is at 0 and has always been at 0.  Am I doing something wrong?

Also, you can remove the feet and put slink feet on, I tried it...but hate having to match skins for the feet.  I'm spoiled with Lara, and love how fingernails do not fly off as well as don't have to tint feet.

Also, I have several full perm shoes that were for classic feet (boot style) and I can just fit the shoes over the feet and then on the alpha thing take out the feet.  To do this though, the shoes need to be boots and fully modify, of course. 

But, I also wanted to say that sometimes the feet seem too large...especially combat boot style. 

I'd love to be able to adjust the foot size smaller YET my slider has always been at 0.  

Edited by FairreLilette

On 8/30/2019 at 12:25 PM, Matty Luminos said:

@Tess Falworth your picture is beautiful but it illustrates exactly what I mean about the shoulder looking like extruded plasticine. Not merely the lack of definition but the shape itself is anatomically wrong

tess.thumb.png.16a12089eb9f19ad098ba83bb038bb37.png

It looks like it's boneless. Like the tentacles on a Twilek's head. 

Looking at it more constructively, it looks like the crease of the armpit goes up too high and curves outwards too much. There's just not enough bulk on top of the shoulder and on the outside of it. And the collarbones seem to be too short.

Imma gonna play with sliders, see if there's any combination that improves it.

Funny in an odd way but that looks exactly like what happens to women with adhesive capsulitis in the shoulder. I lost all use of my arm and the pain is excruciating. Recovery is slow and if you go the doctor route, you'll be doped up for months, years even. I had better results with accupressure and massages, recovered 99% of the use of my arm but I still have to be careful. What caused it for me? I sleep on my left side mostly.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't understand Matty, my Lara foot size is at 0 and has always been at 0.  Am I doing something wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong.  Maitreya feet are always the same size no matter what your body slider value.  What Matty is saying is that IF the body was updated to take advantage of foot slider, new shoes could be made to scale with the feet but for all those legacy shoes, you could just use foot size zero and they would still fit.

Well, that does kind of depend on how they rig it.  Maybe foot size 20 would be equal to the current static foot size so that people could actually scale the feet smaller after the hypothetical update ... but that's all just speculation and wishing for now.  The point is that there would be a constant value you could use and all those shoes that exists already would fit perfectly.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Funny in an odd way but that looks exactly like what happens to women with adhesive capsulitis in the shoulder. I lost all use of my arm and the pain is excruciating. Recovery is slow and if you go the doctor route, you'll be doped up for months, years even. I had better results with accupressure and massages, recovered 99% of the use of my arm but I still have to be careful. What caused it for me? I sleep on my left side mostly.

That sounds awful. ((offers a hug))

• Thanks 1

Information about the Maitreya Lara update here https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/2019/09/bakes-on-mesh.html

Also Maitreya is providing a BoM Relay HUD in the Maitreya Lara Friends group Notices or here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Maitreya-Bakes-on-Mesh-Relay-HUD/17978540

Edited by Tarani Tempest
fixing dumb stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

Information about the Maitreya Lara update here https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/2019/09/bakes-on-mesh.html

Also Maitreya is providing a BoM Relay HUD in the Maitreya Lara Friends group Notices or here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Maitreya-Bakes-on-Mesh-Relay-HUD/17978540

We also made the HUD Copy/Trans, so it can be shared

This HUD is Maitreya specific, it doesn't require an Omega relay, so if you don't have that, no worries, you can still use it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

10 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

Thank you for the link to the blog post on the future update. I've been thinking about getting a Maitreya body, but I wanted to wait until I could be certain that what I was buying wasn't going to become obsolete with BoM. The assurances that the BoM compliant body will be a free update makes me feel reasonably comfortable about moving ahead with a purchase before the the update is available.

• Like 5

Little late, but also wanted to add one more detail I feel is missing big time, at least for myself. I love the Lara body, but it has really fallen short for me since it’s one of few typical bodies that doesn’t offer materials support. It does have a glossy slider, but I need more. I’ve been eyeing a holographic shine, but there’s a warning it won’t respond/look the same as Belezza, for example. It pains me to not have the same effect for as beautiful body as Lara is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I just bought the Lara, and got only the feet and alpha, none of the rest of it at all! Asked for redelivery and still don't have it. I paid for it, I want it, how do I get it?

Doesn't really relate to the topic... have you tried the redelivery terminal at their store? I think there is one.

22 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I just bought the Lara, and got only the feet and alpha, none of the rest of it at all! Asked for redelivery and still don't have it. I paid for it, I want it, how do I get it?

If you bought the Lara from the store at Maitreya Isle then there is no way it arrived without the body.  It comes in a box and you should be able just to open the box again and copy everything out as everything is copy/no transfer.  If you bought it some place else, it could be a fake.

4 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If you bought the Lara from the store at Maitreya Isle then there is no way it arrived without the body.  It comes in a box and you should be able just to open the box again and copy everything out as everything is copy/no transfer.  If you bought it some place else, it could be a fake.

It has been a very slow and sluggish SL for several hours. I think it's a script failure, the unpacking script hasn't worked properly. One should always try again before crying out that there is something wrong. The seller of Maitreya Lara does not control Second Life and can't be blamed for things out of their control.

If @AnnHerrickhave got her problems solved and the body, all is ok. But the easiness with unpacker scripts has made us trust them too much. In cases like this, unpack by rezzing the shopping bag instead of wearing it, and open, copy to inventory. This way you can also see the contents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:32 PM, angelikiinha said:

I know I should maybe ask Maitreya owner, Onyx Leshelle (I guess its her name), but maybe someone here knows.

I'm kind of new to SL (my 1st year anniversary is close), and I have been using Lara for something like 8 months -- before, Altamura in free and premium versions (Jenny, Giselle).

During this time, Lara didn't have a single update. I mean, it's an amazing body and I easily recommend to anyone, but there are issues with her, especially with the sliders. Have you tried to make a simply acceptable pregnant Lara? Her tummy protrudes like if raising an alien. Her shoulders bothers me, no matter what I do to adjust. Her breasts are impossible to be over around 50; above it, they just will point forward, not like a natural big breast. I'm only sticking with her because almost literally all clothes fit, it's so good after some months suffering to have decent wardrobe for Altamura.

I feel tempted to shift to Belleza or even that so beautiful new TMP body. The company may not be reliable, as people told, but the body is a delight to see. But it's a real pain for me to invest in another body having a decent one. Did Maitreya had important updates along the last years? And is she still getting updates, being improved? What can we expect for her?

(To get a ride here, I would ask the same about Genesis' heads. I read about the split between designers and the coder, so is it a dead project?)

MAITREYA is not that good to me, specially their overall look : when zooming close you definetely see it cubic, and also the fact their feet are not even resizable. My Deluxe TMP is entirely (not head sold apart). I'm 1.86m RL so I wanna be tall here too : impossible with MAITREYA that is only for petite sized (or so) ones. I'm perving the LAGACY one now but as many people say, TMP promised free updates on Deluxe body and the only one they offer after 5 years is a 2500 L$ new classic one. So I'm scared about the LEGACY updates...   TMP does a nice job but those people are SO GREEDY that I seriously hesitate to buy this new LEGACY. I'll probably wait for a free update  XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I don't know what you are experiencing with the Maitreya Lara body @MALIFAX but the only part I can agree with you on is that the feet don't resize.  I don't see anything remotely resembling any cubic aspects with respect to the body no matter how much I zoom in.  In addition to this I have been over 2m tall and as small as 1.48m and had zero issues with the body itself, fitting clothing however is a different story.

• Like 2

Just for balance, and using four Laras, for me, no other body comes close to what I want.

I can live with the shoulders, the foot size isn't important, and I dont see anything other than curves.

But always buy from the Maitreya store.

• Like 3

@MALIFAXI see mesh distortion with some animations on all bodies but there is nothing unusual about the Lara compared to others.  None of bodies are perfect.  The only way the TMP body is able to be better in this respect is to have a much more detailed mesh which would help it deform better but you pay a much higher render cost for that as well.  Lara is certainly well rounded enough for many, many people.  Look at it this way, it isn't like Maitreya couldn't have made a much more detailed mesh if they had wanted - right?  If the designer can already make mesh such as Lara then making it more detailed isn't going to be rocket science.  However  they didn't for a reason.  I would imagine that the ultimate render weight was carefully considered as part of the design and the end result was considered a good balance between realistic curves and good performance.

For me, Lara is at the top end of how densely packed I want my mesh body to be and the fact it looks so good means it feels like I get my cake and eat it.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, MALIFAX said:

My Deluxe TMP is entirely (not head sold apart). I'm 1.86m RL so I wanna be tall here too : impossible with MAITREYA that is only for petite sized (or so) ones.

I don't know where you get the idea being 1.86m (6"1) is impossible with Maitreya i use that body and am exactly that height in SL and i have been far taller 7ft plus when i first made the transition from a system body to Maitreya. The body can handle any height it's only shapes where you might want lots of padding where a curvy body would be a better option 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 2:32 PM, angelikiinha said:

I know I should maybe ask Maitreya owner, Onyx Leshelle (I guess its her name), but maybe someone here knows.

I'm kind of new to SL (my 1st year anniversary is close), and I have been using Lara for something like 8 months -- before, Altamura in free and premium versions (Jenny, Giselle).

During this time, Lara didn't have a single update.

I would shift to Belleza but not for those reasons.

I just think it's better.

But... there's no reason to have an update just to have an update. All the established mesh bodies have been waiting for Baked on Mesh to hit the grid fully enough. Now that it's in Firestorm, they can safely support it.

I'd suspect updates will be rolling out over the next year. Maitreya will likely be... 2nd or third. Let some smaller brand new body do it wrong, and fix from that. Belleza will likely be dead last - but solid best. Belleza usually waits till everyone else has had a feature for months, and then looks at everything that went wrong, and then does it's own version avoiding all ya'lls mistakes.

But... there hasn't been a change in the tech since Bento until Baked on Mesh... and that hit over this last week for Firestorm, the number one viewer...

- So of course there's not been an update for some time.

As for the problem with breasts and such... yeah - that will never change. That is actually why I first went to Belleza:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2016/04/26/mesh-avatar-bosom-comparison/

But it's baked into the product line now - if they fix the Maitreya breasts they will break every single fitmesh clothing top item out right now for Maitreya...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I don't know where you get the idea being 1.86m (6"1) is impossible with Maitreya i use that body and am exactly that height in SL and i have been far taller 7ft plus when i first made the transition from a system body to Maitreya. The body can handle any height it's only shapes where you might want lots of padding where a curvy body would be a better option 

Read again please, I said 1.86m ****RL**** so that I need a tall ava in SL to appear taller than others, this is why MAITREYA is perfectly useless to me or I'd look like a 12th century chinese girl with ridiculously small feet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.