Jump to content
angelikiinha

The future of Lara?

Recommended Posts

Here are direct comparisons - made into grayscale so skin colors don't influence (as much as is possible) - look at the shape of the top of the shoulder and the armpit area - both with arms outward and arms straight-down.

Shoulders BShoulders A

This is the kind of detail I pay attention to, myself (and why my personal mesh body choice is the Belleza, in this case it is Venus model).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Just switch to another body, if its such a problem and you thin Maitreya is doomed...

No one ever said, suggested, or insinuated that Maitreya is doomed. That's a rather dystopian way of thinking, isn't it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Having looked in the mirror and looked down I think my arm/shoulder shape is more like Maitreya.......

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Well, Having looked in the mirror and looked down I think my arm/shoulder shape is more like Maitreya.......

Sure, it's not wrong, just different. I think we go for a look that more closely matches our RL shapes whether we realize it or not - at a subconscious level (in my mirror, my RL shape is more like the Belleza version - but I'm Asian, which is also why I (personally) hate the legs of the Maitreya because it is not even close no matter what I do.) :) And it is the leg shape why I keep coming back to the Belleza, believe it or not! Yes, really!

I was just highlighting the differences, that's all. And also why anyone shopping for a mesh body really needs to demo and scrutinize so they are the most satisfied as they can be with what they choose. There is no wrong, only whatever is right for you. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

It’s funny, I’ve never really noticed the Lara shoulder issue but now that it’s been pointed out I can’t unsee it. The armpit goes up too high. Especially noticeable when comparing to the real picture up thread.

Wallflower

 

OMG, that's it.  It is up too high.

However, I use long shoots to camouflage a little bit (see my Angel below).

Now, looking at my Angel photo I see an issue with the arm bend, too.  

Look at my photo of the Angel and then look at the arm folds in the next photo (of the elf shape - the 2nd and 3rd pics).

I could probably photoshop the arm bend goof in my Angel photo though and soften it out.  

Can this be certain poses and/or Bento poses are not thoroughly "ready" yet (for lack of a better word)?

I think I am using a Bento pose for the Angel....but I am not sure as it was last Christmas.

edited:  however, I think my picture is blurry.  This was me just learning SL photography.  I don't remember was resolution I had here or anything about the photo.

Snapshot_2168gold copy (2).jpg

arm2.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think what Maitreya may lack in the shoulders,it makes up for everywhere else..

I like Belleza and have it also,but the Butt and  thighs I just can never get right. The butt just looks like it's going into the top of the legs to the point that it feels like it's resting on the legs kind of like a tectonic plate going under another.. Not trying to sound crude because it's not meant to be crude..it's just the best way i can describe what I'm seeing is all..

also ,Not that I think it looks terrible..it's just that thing that keeps me choosing one body over the other..I love the rest of the Belleza body..I just wish I could get where the butt and the thigh meet,right hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

OMG, that's it.  It is up too high.

However, I use long shoots to camouflage a little bit (see my Angel below).

Now, looking at my Angel photo I see an issue with the arm bend, too.  

Look at my photo of the Angel and then look at the arm folds in the next photo (of the elf shape - the 2nd and 3rd pics).

I could probably photoshop the arm bend goof in my Angel photo though and soften it out.  

Can this be certain poses and/or Bento poses are not thoroughly "ready" yet (for lack of a better word)?

I think I am using a Bento pose for the Angel....but I am not sure as it was last Christmas.

edited:  however, I think my picture is blurry.  This was me just learning SL photography.  I don't remember was resolution I had here or anything about the photo.

Snapshot_2168gold copy (2).jpg

arm2.png

The elbow bend thing I have definitely noticed on my avi when taking pictures. It’s when I use a pose with a super sharp elbow bend. I’ve noticed it with newer bento poses and older poses, but I’ve been able to successfully fix it in PS using liquify. I wonder if other bodies have the same issue...??  

Oh and I love Maitreya Lara. It’s the only body I use and I have no plans to change that. No body is perfect. Hardy har har.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

The elbow bend thing I have definitely noticed on my avi when taking pictures. It’s when I use a pose with a super sharp elbow bend. I’ve noticed it with newer bento poses and older poses, but I’ve been able to successfully fix it in PS using liquify. I wonder if other bodies have the same issue...??  

Oh and I love Maitreya Lara. It’s the only body I use and I have no plans to change that. No body is perfect. Hardy har har.

Liquify.  Thanks, I will try that.  :)

No, no body is perfect but when I think of what avatars will look like in say the next 16 years or more...I wonder if they are going to be really amazing and look almost real or not.

Still, in long shots, Lara looks pretty "real" except the arm looks like it's coming off (I remember seeing that when I took the photo) and I guess it's certain camera angles and the poses.    

When I do SL photography, I always say there a million and one wardrobe malfunctions.  I can't wait to see if BoM resolves some of those issues.  

Snapshot_2188 (3).png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Liquify.  Thanks, I will try that.  :)

No, no body is perfect but when I think of what avatars will look like in say the next 16 years or more...I wonder if they are going to be really amazing and look almost real or not.

Still, in long shots, Lara looks pretty "real" except the arm looks like it's coming off (I remember seeing that when I took the photo) and I guess it's certain camera angles and the poses.    

When I do SL photography, I always say there a million and one wardrobe malfunctions.  I can't wait to see if BoM resolves some of those issues.  

Snapshot_2188 (3).png

Beautiful shot!  And you are totally right about a million wardrobe malfunctions... keeps us on our toes, right?!?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Just switch to another body, if its such a problem and you thin Maitreya is doomed...

It's not though, at least not for me. Maitreya is the only female body that can feasibly work for me, not just because of the V-tech mod but because I can get the right shape with it. It doesn't have overly curvy breasts and hips, so with careful use of the sliders I can get a decent male body shape with it. I think I've even succesfully managed to overcome the plasticine shoulders.

I do think Lara is doomed eventually though, if there are no more updates for it. Maybe one day there will be a body that's better for me. but right now, there isn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

your picture is beautiful but it illustrates exactly what I mean about the shoulder looking like extruded plasticine. Not merely the lack of definition but the shape itself is anatomically wrong

 

Yes! I totally agree.. and while playing with body fat, width, muscle on the sliders can make a *tiny* difference, it is really just the mesh itself was made that way. I still really like the body overall though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry, had to edit out post and photo as I got terrible deformation with dancing.  I should have tried dancing first.

Will try again another time to see if I can get a better fit with shoulders. 

You could try the original shapes which came with Lara too to see what you may like or not like about the shoulders.

 

 

 

 

Edited by FairreLilette
DOES NOT WORK WITH DANCING

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, Alyona Su said:

Here are direct comparisons - made into grayscale so skin colors don't influence (as much as is possible) - look at the shape of the top of the shoulder and the armpit area - both with arms outward and arms straight-down.

Shoulders BShoulders A

This is the kind of detail I pay attention to, myself (and why my personal mesh body choice is the Belleza, in this case it is Venus model).

Thank you, that's exactly what bothers me (I guess, LOL). The weird cut in her armpit. Depending on arm position, it makes a huge cut, very weird and ugly, I always do a "ughn" when that happens. I feel like her shoulders are a little slumped, or out of natural place, it's hard to explain. Maybe it's just my view.

I totally agree with people saying "don't fix what is not broken", but in Lara's case, I suppose there are limitations enough to justify an update. I know I can use things like this https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sculpted-Belly-v20-boxed/2342190 for pregnancy rp, but I tried other bodies and if I'm not wrong, Belleza gives a very acceptable belly only with the slider (I tried the new TMP too, but don't remember the result). I guess wasn't for the clothes, most people would have shift to Belleza. Maybe mysterious Miss LeShell should be worried about it?

About heads: someone said about the price, and that was the main reason I was asking :P 2K sounds as a good price comparing to the 5K for a Catwa or 4.5 for a LAQ (plus HUD if its the first head). My friend was looking for a oriental/Japanese head and there is beautiful one there, said her to take a look. Bad to know they are kind of out of business or just making money with a dead project.

And as far as I've tried Genus, seems to be the best for customization: I could change many face features with little to no deformations - seems like a very flexible head and to my taste, the more realistic. Genus and some Catwa are the only ones who tempt me to spend with another head...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And look how high is her armpit cut in the first model... GOD.

"Once you see it you can't unsee", as the meme. I'm ruined :D 

 arm2.png.d89b7e0442c2229b1adb291df89e2f1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, angelikiinha said:

And look how high is her armpit cut in the first model... GOD.

"Once you see it you can't unsee", as the meme. I'm ruined :D 

 arm2.png.d89b7e0442c2229b1adb291df89e2f1

Well, you can "unsee it" with photoshop but no one wants to photoshop the shoulders with every photo they have (see photoshopped photo below).  It would be just for special photos.

I encountered a problem.  I tried making the shoulder width more narrow which cuts out the "shadow" between the arm and the body BUT it deforms too much when dancing.  And, I can make the shoulders fit somewhat like in the photo below by narrowing the shoulder width but like I said above, it deforms too much on dancing...

Photoshop photo below.  (sorry, it's sloppy but I hope you kind of get the idea.)

arm2 clean.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On further inspection, I think it's the skins.  I think the skins are too heavily shaded in the arm area because here is a photo with optimal prim no shadow set in the environment editor and you can still see a bit of shadow.

What skin designers can do to help...tone down the shadows under the arm and on the side of the arm is the best I can think of and see if it helps.  

Snapshot_401 (3).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd photo with Optimal Skin No Shadow Set in Environment Editor...it's on the skins more than the body, imo because you can still see shadow on the arms...it's too heavy a shadow.  (Please excuse my big head and giraffe neck...working on a fantasy avatar at the moment.)

Snapshot_404.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how or why a discussion about Lara updates ended up with people talking about its armpits but hey B|

Lara is and has been the most popular mesh body in SL so far and that is for good reason.  I can understand that it is not for everyone and having alternatives is a wonderful thing.  I don't agree with the trashing it is receiving here though.  The other bodies, their owners and their speed of updates all have a certain degree of dirty laundry as well.  Let's not do that here.

Those calling for mesh "fixes" to Lara are dreaming, it would be a nightmare.  Why would a creator change that product and risk alienating the many people who both design and buy clothing with the expectation that it will fit.  That would be very dumb.  It would be far better/easier to bring out a new product to fit those different tastes.

The fact that they haven't tells me that they know they cannot please everyone but are absolutely certain they have pleased the majority.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
Punctuation
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Not sure how or why a discussion about Lara updates ended up with people talking about its armpits but hey B|

I think that was my fault

14 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Those calling for mesh "fixes" to Lara are dreaming, it would be a nightmare.  Why would a creator change that product and risk alienating the many people who both design and buy clothing with the expectation that it will fit.  That would be very dumb.  It would be far better/easier to bring out a new product to fit those different tastes.

Updating Lara's shape would be both completely impractical but also it would render most of the clothing made for it completely useless.

However, there are updates I'd like to see that wouldn't break existing content.  In particular, tintable tattoo, underwear and clothing layers. Another one is bento feet, so they are re-sizeable with the slider. Not relevant when wearing shoes but it would allow me (and everyone else) to have realistically-proportioned feet when going barefoot. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I think that was my fault

I don't think you were responsible for the whole conversation though and I do think it is OK to say you don't like something.
 

20 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Updating Lara's shape would be both completely impractical but also it would render most of the clothing made for it completely useless.

However, there are updates I'd like to see that wouldn't break existing content.  In particular, tintable tattoo, underwear and clothing layers. Another one is bento feet, so they are re-sizeable with the slider. Not relevant when wearing shoes but it would allow me (and everyone else) to have realistically-proportioned feet when going barefoot. 

I did say mesh "fixes" though.  I don't think there is anything wrong with having a wish list of things either.  Might have to be careful about being able to change foot size, I have a vested interest to look out for my shoe collection and making sure they still fit.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know one thing for sure..Maitreya has never charged for an update as well as Belleza..

If i want to update my TMP, guess what I have to do?

hehehehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: There is has been a notice sent on the Maitreya Lara Friends group confirming that an update for BoM is being worked on and will be released as soon as it is ready.  In addition, on group chatter today @Gryphon Ronas confirmed that the updated Glam Affair skins are being added as well.  Gryphon also reconfirmed that she is authorized to speak for Onyx.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Update: There is has been a notice sent on the Maitreya Lara Friends group confirming that an update for BoM is being worked on and will be released as soon as it is ready.  In addition, on group chatter today @Gryphon Ronas confirmed that the updated Glam Affair skins are being added as well.  Gryphon also reconfirmed that she is authorized to speak for Onyx.

Oh, hallelujah! I guess I'll keep my old HUD, so I have access to both sets of skins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...