Why do permissions change when I rez then take an object (Modify -> No Modify)

Elissa Taka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I searched the forums and Jira (maybe not well enough of course), and couldn't find an answer. 

When I have an inventory item from another creator that's only "No Copy," sometimes (most/all of the time?), I rez it, take it back, and now it's "No Copy No Modify." 

Objects will take the most restrictive permissions when inside inventory, including embedded objects or files:

Full perms box with a Mo-Modify box inside it will be No-Modify while in inventory.

No-Copy box inside a no-modify box that is inside a full perms box will become no-modify and no-copy when that full perms box sits in inventory.

So, a full perms box that contains a no-copy box will have the no-copy applied to the full perms box; the no-copy box that contains a no-modify box will have no-modify applied to that no-copy box, and thus, the no-copy AND no-modify attributes of that box is applied to the full perms box - WHILE it sits in your inventory.

HERE IS A KICKER:

If you rez a box and change the permission - for example: a full perms box change it to no-copy then take it into inventory - then change the permissions while it is in inventory to add "no-modify" that no modify permission will apply while it is in inventory for the next owner (say, your customer) - if they rez it then the PREVIOUS (rezzed) permissions will apply - no-copy, but yes: modify. Not always, and certain cascading things need to happen, but it is common. This is why something that appears to be modifiable while in inventory turns into no-modify when it is rezzed, for example.

Make sense?

In your example - while the object was rezzed the permissions where no-copy AND no-modify. Then they took it into inventory, then changed the permissions while it was in inventory to turn on the Modify permission. But when you rezz it, the old rezzed permissions will STICK. If the object is supposed to be modifiable, contact the creator as they may not be aware that it does this and it may or may not be their intention. They need to set the permissions of it while it is rezzed in-world, not while it is in their inventory.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 1:50 PM, Alyona Su said:

Objects will take the most restrictive permissions when inside inventory, including embedded objects or files:

Full perms box with a Mo-Modify box inside it will be No-Modify while in inventory.

No-Copy box inside a no-modify box that is inside a full perms box will become no-modify and no-copy when that full perms box sits in inventory.

So, a full perms box that contains a no-copy box will have the no-copy applied to the full perms box; the no-copy box that contains a no-modify box will have no-modify applied to that no-copy box, and thus, the no-copy AND no-modify attributes of that box is applied to the full perms box - WHILE it sits in your inventory.

HERE IS A KICKER:

If you rez a box and change the permission - for example: a full perms box change it to no-copy then take it into inventory - then change the permissions while it is in inventory to add "no-modify" that no modify permission will apply while it is in inventory for the next owner (say, your customer) - if they rez it then the PREVIOUS (rezzed) permissions will apply - no-copy, but yes: modify. Not always, and certain cascading things need to happen, but it is common. This is why something that appears to be modifiable while in inventory turns into no-modify when it is rezzed, for example.

Make sense?

In your example - while the object was rezzed the permissions where no-copy AND no-modify. Then they took it into inventory, then changed the permissions while it was in inventory to turn on the Modify permission. But when you rezz it, the old rezzed permissions will STICK. If the object is supposed to be modifiable, contact the creator as they may not be aware that it does this and it may or may not be their intention. They need to set the permissions of it while it is rezzed in-world, not while it is in their inventory.

Wow thanks. I get it somewhat.. I think I'll have to meditate on that every day for the next month to really internalize it, but it seems to make sense. Thanks!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.