List of Creators Producing BoM-Compliant Goods

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

System heads simply cannot compare in variety of shape to mesh heads. The old static mesh heads didn't respond to the sliders but the newer Bento heads are very responsive to the sliders in edit appearance. Each mesh head and even the system head begin with their base mesh sculpt then you can manipulate that shape of the head using the edit appearance sliders. There is but one system head compared to the huge market with varying styles and shapes of bento mesh heads. It might be easier to just go with the default system head as you don't have to shop for that, but to think that you have more variety available with the system head compared the vast number of mesh bento heads is rather short sighted.

It depends on the look you're going for. There are very few mesh heads that behave well too far out of the parameters they were built with, and I've found it difficult to create a realistic look outside of the "commercially attractive young adult" that the vast majority of heads are designed for.

16 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Yeah I spoke with Deetalez customer service earlier, to use the new BOM skins I need to buy a mesh head. I suppose it isn't the skin makers fault, they are just working to demands of their big markets. Just seems like a shame people with system heads aren't being catered for any more, especially when mesh heads cost so much and don't allow for the variety of shapes system heads can cover.

As far as the price goes, keep an eye on Akeruka, they have sales what seams like quite often. Right now their Beta BoM head is 1k, it will go up to 5k when finished. Kind of soon I think, and you will get free updates.

My only mesh head I use was free from AK and after adjusting it some it looks nothing like the ad poster, I even came close to my system head that I liked, but the mesh is better (IMHO). But it is a bit of work, but I really stink at this and I managed.

And my alt has a different AK head that was also free, I just don’t have the funds to go plunking down 5k for a head, but I have two avatars that have free mesh heads, and that is all they use, in fact the only heads they have.

I have tried again about 10 heads this morning. None of them respond to fat sliders and all look weird and emaciated on my body. The heads are fine if you want to look like a slender model, but despite all the variety that is all they seem to cater for.

I know I would look better with a mesh head, and I don't think my head shape is so weird. Pretty normal looking, but not a look mesh head makers cater to.

Daisy_001.png

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I have tried again about 10 heads this morning. None of them respond to fat sliders and all look weird and emaciated on my body. The heads are fine if you want to look like a slender model, but despite all the variety that is all they seem to cater for.

Have you looked at <UTILIZATOR> - Normie Head. Its only 500L and is modify.

I did not see your photo before I posted, but I think Normie would work well for you. Just a thought.

Edited by Teagan Tobias
add
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I did not see your photo before I posted, but I think Normie would work well for you. Just a thought.

Thank you! I even had one from ages ago and updated it from 4.9 to 7.0. Finally a head that looks normal !

I just need to find an Omega head applier for the relay that will work with a bakes on mesh skin now.

Edited by Aethelwine

19 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Not yet BoM ready, however it is Omega without an extra-cost relay.

Edited by anna2358

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It depends on the look you're going for. There are very few mesh heads that behave well too far out of the parameters they were built with, and I've found it difficult to create a realistic look outside of the "commercially attractive young adult" that the vast majority of heads are designed for.

Here are three pictures of Debi using the same head in all three looks.

This is a Catwa head. I used an applier for wrinkles with this skin. I added extra volume around the jawline to create the illusion of jowls. 

Debi1.thumb.png.3a4989ea827df6bc7b220eca2cacf77e.png

Here I am still using the wrinkles applier but with a different skin with a lighter skin tone.  Since I couldn't use an applier for freckles and the wrinkles at the same time, I opted to use a separate mesh freckles add-on. Fortunately now with BoM that's no longer an issue and I can stack wrinkles, freckles, moles, makeup, etc to my heart's content.

Debi2.thumb.png.e29e8df2f4bca887a1f31f8f6ff43e5d.png

I decided I was tired of looking at my aging face and wanted something completely different so I changed skins and completely redid my shape, but I kept the same mesh head I had been wearing. Here's my very pale looking elf-self.

Debi3.thumb.png.62698707e81c00d2ff569fe6a83bd262.png

You might think it's easier to just use a system head to get the look you want, and it might be easier. But you can with careful shopping and use of shape along with adding skin details get just about any look you want with the right mesh head. It just takes patience and a sense of adventure to find all the parts to create that perfect meshy head look.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AliciaMarieJames said:

Does anyone know if the Genus Project or Normie heads are BoM ready?

Not yet. But Normie is modify, if I recall, turning something BOM is supposed to be a checkbox in the properties, isn't it? If that's the case then you should be able to make the Normie head BOM yourself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AliciaMarieJames said:

Does anyone know if the Genus Project or Normie heads are BoM ready?

With omega installed on them you can use the Bake on Mesh skin applier (omega), from Conor Shostakovich. The Normie head comes with Omega support, for Genus you need to go get the kit from the Omega store in world or on marketplace.

Edited by Aethelwine

17 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Not yet. But Normie is modify, if I recall, turning something BOM is supposed to be a checkbox in the properties, isn't it? If that's the case then you should be able to make the Normie head BOM yourself.

I tried this with my alt who uses Normie.  I can't find any checkbox either in the in-inventory properties, nor in the editor for a ground-rezzed head.  However the  Bake on Mesh skin applier (omega), 125$L, works fine (once you remember to take off the head alpha - DOH).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I tried this with my alt who uses Normie.  I can't find any checkbox either in the in-inventory properties, nor in the editor for a ground-rezzed head.  However the  Bake on Mesh skin applier (omega), 125$L, works fine (once you remember to take off the head alpha - DOH).

Okay, thanks for looking. I know it's supposed be a check-box and I understood it was in the edit window somewhere. I'll have to review the knowledge-base article about it. :) I have the Normie head since release, but it's buried along with all my Catwa and Genesis and the rest, so I didn't think to look when I was in world yesterday. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su

8 hours ago, anna2358 said:

When editing an object, like a head, the BoM checkbox only appears when the object is attached to your avatar, not when rezzed on the ground (in edit mode). It will be in the textures tab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sean Heavy said:

When editing an object, like a head, the BoM checkbox only appears when the object is attached to your avatar, not when rezzed on the ground (in edit mode). It will be in the textures tab.

Hahaha! Thanks! Because I knew it! :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sean Heavy said:

Umm, I was prepared to believe you, but when I tried, I found no such check box.

I checked I'd got the head in General, then checked out every tab.  The photo is of the Textures tab in edit.  Nothing about BoM there at all.

EDIT:  However if you click the actual texture, as if you were going to apply a new texture, then there is a Bake check box under the selected texture preview, when selected you can then select BAKED_HEAD from the drop down.  (This is Firestorm 6.3.2.58052)

Screenshot from 2019-10-25 07-35-07.png

Edited by anna2358
correct myself
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 3:56 PM, Skell Dagger said:

Slink has updated the Redux bodies so you can now use materials appliers (both Slink and Omega) on them. More info here: https://slinkstyle.com/2019/10/23/a-little-update-of-redux/

The update is to allow materials appliers of any layer to apply to the (single layer) Redux body. It always supported skin-layer materials appliers (Omega or Slink). Because it's a true BoM body with only the one layer, applying materials replaces any previous materials on that surface. (This touches on why baking multiple layers of materials is so difficult to even spec-out as a coherent feature request.)

I would say that before mesh heads, you didn't see more heads made out of the common standards of what's attractive than you do now. It was the odd one who made an older avatar, an Orc avatar, an overweight avatar. I mean their daily use avatar, not the ones made for costumes.

The sliders on mesh heads does not respond to 0 or 100 so well. The ones that work operate in a limited range a few digits up or down from the starter shape. Some, like jowls and double chin is seldom making a big difference. Some respond better, often mouths and eyes. The nose size can be changed, but the nose shape itself not. It is the common straight nose. Making an aquiline nose or a bulbous nose from the offshelf mesh heads is almost impossible.

Most people who say "The system heads have such a variety, my shape is unique, I refuse to change" has an avatar well inside the common standard for attractive. They don't have an avatar head with big jowls, double chin and a bulbous nose. All the blog posts I read before mesh, was inside the attractive standard. I would say there is a level of self illusion in how unique shapes are. 95% are inside the common beauty/attractive standard. I don't see myself as unique in shape. I can mix shape, head, skin, add on layers better now that we have BoM. I still look like many others.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.