Scylla Rhiadra

List of Creators Producing BoM-Compliant Goods

17 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

This will go a long way in helping some people and with some use cases and I think this would be a good thing for Onyx to include, no doubt.  However it is not complete a solution for all people and use cases I listed.  The only complete solution possible is to keep both alpha cuts and alpha layers supported as first class options.

What about invisiprims? Aren't they first-class too?

I know one use for alpha cuts: Assymetric sleeves. One arm bare, the other not. I have a one shoulder top from COCO that I can't use with Slink Redux.

white_01.jpg?1530330172

• Like 2

One of the things I like, is that I can put on all sorts of layers, and just take on and off the BoM compatible body parts. No need to find the appliers and texture them.

The default body is my palette, and the body parts is just put on and off, to see what works best with the different bodies.

I'm using a system skin that came with my applier-based head skin, that was bought before Bakes-on Mesh went into public beta. Everything works fine as normal.

Whenever I add a shoebase, the lower half of my skin rebakes. Normally that doesn't cause any problems, but for at least one brand (KC Couture), the bottom inch of my foot including my toes are painted matt white instead. Removing the shoebase rebakes the skin and removes the issue.

I have no idea how this happens. But as a heads up, somehow, shoebases by KC Couture are not BoM compliant 😄

12 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'm using a system skin that came with my applier-based head skin, that was bought before Bakes-on Mesh went into public beta. Everything works fine as normal.

Whenever I add a shoebase, the lower half of my skin rebakes. Normally that doesn't cause any problems, but for at least one brand (KC Couture), the bottom inch of my foot including my toes are painted matt white instead. Removing the shoebase rebakes the skin and removes the issue.

I have no idea how this happens. But as a heads up, somehow, shoebases by KC Couture are not BoM compliant 😄

Shoebases began their lives as Ruth's shoes. As such, they have a slot for a texture. Some shoe bases, like the one you're dealing with, have a white or other colored texture - this never would have been visible when worn with applier-textured feet. If the shoebase is modifiable you can change the texture to transparent; otherwise you can use another shoebase.

• Thanks 2

On 10/3/2019 at 3:41 AM, LucyHerne said:

getting rid of Alpha Cuts was the best thing ever.

same here. I think that soon people will get used to BOM (again, cause bakes on mesh is what we used to have before mesh heads and bodies came), clothes will be sold with alpha maps again and everyone will forget alpha cuts ever existed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2019 at 11:02 PM, Icheb said:

Yes, this was the correct this to do and Signature was smart (I confirmed yesterday that Signature Geralt still has an Alpha cuts management system with the BOM update body) and realized that BOM does not mean you can throw out the Alpha cuts management system because wearing mesh clothing still requires you to hide Alpha sections and that most mesh clothing never came with Alpha masks.  Slink on the other hand decided to remove the Alpha cuts from its BOM Redux body and now trying to wear mesh with that body clothing is nightmarish.  As a result of Slink removing the Alpha cuts wearing mesh is like a bad joke and it is very confusing, time consuming and frustrating for customers.  The customers do not want to sit around manually creating their own Alphas mask by photo editing and then pay to upload them into SL.

The short fact of the matter is the Slink is out of touch with reality and refuses to see this from the customers perspective as to how difficult and a burden their decision to remove the Alpha cut from their body is to their customer who want to wear the mesh clothing that they have spent a ton of money on over the years.  The customers do no want to stop using or throw away the mesh clothing they already own just because BOM is here now.

Exactly!  This is what I told Slink support last night.  It is a undo burden to put on their customer to expect them to manually create their their own alpha masks by photo editing and then pay to upload these masks in SL

The Slink support rep told me to go ask vendors for Alpha's.  I know from experience the most vendors are not going to to back and update their existing clothing or care about some item you bought a long time ago from them. As Slink told me it isn't up to the them to create Alpha masks if the vendors don't provide them.  That then leaves the burden on the customer and this is not acceptable and shows total disrespect to their customers who have invested a lot of money into their bodies and on product for the body (clothing, skins, tattoos, etc.).

As I told the Slink support rep yesterday, I really do love my Slink mesh, but having to create alphas manually is sort of a deal breaker for continued use of Slink (I have used Slink since 2016 even with other mesh  body options but this change is unacceptable especially when other bodies do still have a proper Alpha cut management system) .  I am not trying to be difficult or rude, but if someone see a Signature BOM body with an Alpha cuts management system and then compares it to Slink and are told to create their own Alpha's by photo editing and on top of that pay to upload each alpha mask they create the customer isn't going to choose to buy the Slink body because that is added frustration and cost to use mesh clothes with the Slink body.  The response from the Slink support rep was "we have had the product out for three weeks, you are actually my first IM of this magnitude on it".  I  am sure more Slink customers will feel the same way when they wear the BOM body and find out how hard it is now to wear mesh clothing properly and the above quoted post is proof of that.

Don't tell me to look on the MP for pre-made alpha masks as I already tired and the problem was that the cut were in places other than where I need them to be (that meant parts of the body got hidden that shouldn't have been and other parts that I needed hidden still were visible).

Also do not tell me to wear the classic body and that changes the look of my AV because I cannot the use the BOM skins, BOM tattoos and BOM clothing that I wanted to be able to use again now that BOM is live.  Doing that means that I don't get any BOM benefits so using 2 different type of Slink bodies is not a solution (classic mesh and BOM Redux).

One of the bodies I own is Physique and it came with two versions: BoM and classic, the latter still being sliced up and oniony. The BoM version also included a bunch of pre-made alphas you could wear. It seems to me they are offering the best of both worlds, which has to be a lot of work considering they did that for Physique, Hourglass, and the male bodies, also. Tonic is the body I usually wear but I respect the time and attention to detail Slink put into their BoM release. I think it raises the bar. 

As for clothing creators, it is a pain to even think about going back through mounds of clothing. I make clothes for my store and also furnish SLCS most of the uniforms they wear. I *have* to go back and make alphas for some of those - I'm not looking forward to it. But if Maitreya and Tonic (the two leading bodies used by our squad) offer both versions with their update (BoM and non-BoM) that would be a help for sure. But again, it's a lot of work and I respect the creators who do it immensely. You're getting your money's worth. 

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Shoebases began their lives as Ruth's shoes. As such, they have a slot for a texture. Some shoe bases, like the one you're dealing with, have a white or other colored texture - this never would have been visible when worn with applier-textured feet. If the shoebase is modifiable you can change the texture to transparent; otherwise you can use another shoebase.

That explains it! Thanks :)

On 9/25/2019 at 12:03 AM, Lukorange said:

just to add something, for anyone using Altamura bento bodies or heads, they also release a HUD relay for B.o.M. Mmmm but it's only for group members. 

Sadly that you can't use clothing alphas with that bodies when you use their BoM HUD

22 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I know one use for alpha cuts: Assymetric sleeves. One arm bare, the other not. I have a one shoulder top from COCO that I can't use with Slink Redux.

white_01.jpg?1530330172

The Slink Redux - if you own the bundle - comes with an item called the Asymmetry Harness, which allows for the asymmetrical kind of things!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

OK reading this thread I see that there is a lot of confusion about BoM and clothing alphas

It seems that people believe that they must choose between HUD driven alpha cuts for hiding body parts OR clothing alphas

Well I need to say that it is not a case, you can perfectly use both systems on SAME body if it is configured properly!

Personally I support Slink decision to through away slicing all together since it will benefit from low complexity and lowering LAG

For those nonbelievers in here I prepared proof here is a gyazo link that will prove to you that I am wearing BoM body, using its HUD to cut parts of it and I am also wearing system clothing alpha and all is working as intended since body creator did his homework and read LL guideline how to implement BoM properly 

https://gyazo.com/ba3129aa59b9dfe26db11e923a1eb454

So, creators of our MESH bodies and heads: please don't be so arrogant to decide for us if we can use or not some BoM feature, thanks in advance  

P.S. hair that I use is heavy with alpha masks but that do not bleed to body or clash with any other layer

Edited by PenGemini
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

What about invisiprims? Aren't they first-class too?

NOOOOO, no and no, use them only if you want to hide everything around where they are attached :) like water, dance floors, parts of your cloths etc

3 hours ago, PenGemini said:

NOOOOO, no and no, use them only if you want to hide everything around where they are attached :) like water, dance floors, parts of your cloths etc

Invisiprims are broken! Use them NEVER! She was using sarcasm. :)

DeeTaleZ skins is updating their skins with BOM - not all, but as I read, they are doing it little by little. Hopefully others will follow 

On 10/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, Marianne Little said:

white_01.jpg?1530330172

Yes you can if you know how to make alpha masks with the SLUV templates.

If I had that top, I'd whip up my own alpha mask and wear it with my Slink BoM body.

Edited by AliciaMarieJames

2 hours ago, AliciaMarieJames said:

Yes you can if you know how to make alpha masks with the SLUV templates.

If I had that top, I'd whip up my own alpha mask and wear it with my Slink BoM body.

Last time I used an SLUV template, the arms cannot be done individually, you either have two sleeves or none,  so making an alpha for this dress with one bare arm and one in a sleeve would be impossible.. you could do the one shoulder because it is on the top template but there is only one arm template which gets used for both arms.. So unless there is a new set of SLUV templates that would not work.

12 hours ago, AliciaMarieJames said:

Just use your asymmetry harness, which is in your Redux package. It has a HUD which will let you alpha out parts of the arm, getting around the limitations imposed by the SL UV map. You can also use the harness if you want to wear a tattoo on just one arm.

8 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Just use your asymmetry harness, which is in your Redux package. It has a HUD which will let you alpha out parts of the arm, getting around the limitations imposed by the SL UV map. You can also use the harness if you want to wear a tattoo on just one arm.

That too, but I do want to keep my practice on making alpha masking layers.

I am still having an absolute blast trying out all my old system skins and system layers clothing on mesh avatars. Here is my latest creation, an old system-layers-and-prims outfit from Comme Il Faut on a fully mesh avatar (Akeruka Cleo head and Altamura Juliet mesh body, both free group gifts from earlier this year):

More details here: https://ryanschultz.com/2019/10/10/second-life-bakes-on-mesh-halloween-carmen-miranda/ 

The skin I am using on this avatar is by Atmoic Bambi, and is called Noori Noir. Unfortunately, the store is also no longer on the grid. This is an older system skin, so the area around the fingernails doesn’t quite match the Altamura mesh nails. I found that my earlier solution, the free finger and foot fixes available from League which I mentioned in this earlier blogpost, didn’t work for grey skin. To fix the area around the fingernails to match this deathly grey pallor exactly, I used nail covers by SmitCoStudios, which you can edit and tint any colour you wish (they are available for L$25 on the SL Marketplace).

Carmen Miranda 2 10 Oct 2019.jpg

Carmen Miranda 1 10 Oct 2019.jpg

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 2

I am on vacation and will see if I have a harness when I am back.

Slink is not one of my favourite creators any more. This due to the policy that you need 4 or more feet to get the body in one part.  Me who has 3 feet and many hands does not get that.

I also had a customer service experience that really soured my opinion. I managed to get my alt the bundle pack, since she had 5 feet, but not after snarky comments that it was not done the right way. But I had the notecard I sent with the buying info of the body parts copied from the redelivery terminal. Worse is that this avarar, Marianne, could not get Redux hands from any hand redelivery. And when contacting Slink Resident, only got entangled in an endless discussuon if I had Redux hands or not. Would it kill her to just resend them manually. She can see I used the redelivery terminal, because she refer to it. I will not be surprised if the harness is not included with the single body. At the moment, I am not in the mood to buy another pair of feet, or ever send Slink Resident a notecard or message again.

Anyone who tell me to make an alpha mask, and does not know the default template has only one arm, makes my mood even sourer.

Edited by Marianne Little
spelling
  • Like 1

Deetalez has updated their body applier packages for Maitreya and Legacy with BoM layers. It is a free update to anyone who has purchased those appliers. You just need to get a redelivey. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

19 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Deetalez has updated their body applier packages for Maitreya and Legacy with BoM layers. It is a free update to anyone who has purchased those appliers. You just need to get a redelivey. 

Ironically, I was just shopping at Deetalez yesterday, all their newest skins are also BOM Ready and very clearly indicated on the posters.

21 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Ironically, I was just shopping at Deetalez yesterday, all their newest skins are also BOM Ready and very clearly indicated on the posters.

Yay!!! Heads too?

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Yay!!! Heads too?

Yes, I wasn't clear, I am meaning their (Deetalez face) heads. I went with the new Legacy body and opted for the Deetalez skins (and Genus Baby-Face head) - so I was shopping: the newer heads (I went with Bailey) is "BOM Ready" - so it also comes with... well, I'm not sure what they are - the icons (in Firestorm) look like tattoo? The red squiggly icon. I also decided to grab their Neck-Fade applier to match their head skin with the in-built Legacy skins. And just for kicks (because it's so inexpensive) I also when with their Body Appliers - the body appliers come with actual system skins as well.

Though I'm still experimenting with the BOM stuff, I don't have a reason to dive in too deeply because other than skin, I don't have much of a use at this time, but I *did* experiment with both: Applied skin and BOM skin - I am getting better result with the applied skin and neck-fade-applier right now and I suspect that is because the head is not BOM-ready right now (I am hoping they will update it eventually.) Once it is, then I most certainly will try to make that work because a full BOM skin (head-to-toe) will eliminate that incessant neck-seam we all love so much! (Because even with a perfect match, the mesh itself is created by different people and that aspect alone will always leave a seam).

🤞

Edited by Alyona Su

Yes those are tattoos so your skin has to be worn in two parts.  I don't know about you but if I were going away from appliers to BoM skins, I would want my skin to be a single proper skin wearable.  I have read and understood 100% the rationale for doing this and I am still not fan.  Needless to say, even if I was a big BoM fan, I would stop short of buying a crippled part skin, part tattoo like this.  I am sure there will be others who don't give a hoot and feel this is fine.  To each their own.  An interesting tidbit is that a friend of mine was by a skin creator doing this that LL declined a JIRA to split the skins into head and body so, if true, even with the given rationale LL don't want skins split into two wearables either.