List of Creators Producing BoM-Compliant Goods

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't think I see anyone mentioned alpha layers resources yet.  So here goes...

Now that Slink has done away with the alpha HUD, Redux wearers will need alpha layers to go with their old mesh clothes that didn't come packaged with them. Below is a small sampling of alphas you can find to build your collection.

Slink's Extra Alpha Layers:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Slink/75/173/26

Avatar Alpha Masks, full perm by Imnotgoing Sideways:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blumfield/117/174/28

Alpha Layers for Boots & Shoes 2011 -
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Alpha-Layers-for-Boots-Shoes-2011/1805419

Alpha layers for your feet! -
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Alpha-layers-for-your-feet/2202579

Alpha Layers for Jackets 2011 -
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Alpha-Layers-for-Jackets-2011/1810775

[SK]- Alpha Mask Combos for StinkyKitty Products -
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SK-Alpha-Mask-Combos-for-StinkyKitty-Products/3162123

*KaS*-Hobble-Dress, Auto-Alpha-Layers Version 1.0 -
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/KaS-Hobble-Dress-Auto-Alpha-Layers/5614534

*KaS*-Catsuit, Auto-Alphas-Layers -
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/KaS-Catsuit-Auto-Alphas-Layers/6933530

*KaS*-Corset-Dress-AutoAlphas -
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/KaS-Corset-Dress-AutoAlphas/6933531

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In addition to providing an assortment of alphas, Slink also included some info on making alphas with the Redux body and on the  BOM faq on their web page, and made video tutorials (one using Photoshop and one using Gimp) showing how to make alphas.  My prior experience with Gimp was limited to just being able to resize a picture, so I was really excited that I was able to follow her tutorial and be successful in creating and uploading an alpha layer I needed for one of my shirts that I couldn't use other existing alphas for.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

In addition to providing an assortment of alphas, Slink also included some info on making alphas with the Redux body and on the  BOM faq on their web page, and made video tutorials (one using Photoshop and one using Gimp) showing how to make alphas.  My prior experience with Gimp was limited to just being able to resize a picture, so I was really excited that I was able to follow her tutorial and be successful in creating and uploading an alpha layer I needed for one of my shirts that I couldn't use other existing alphas for.

Once again this alpha issue comes up with BOM and mesh bodies.  And once again I have to say, the average person in SL is NOT going to WANT to be BOTHERED with making alphas in order to use their mesh clothing.  AND most mesh clothing for specific bodies does NOT come with alpha layers since mesh bodies all had an alpha hud with them.. which took care of that issue..  So a new BOM mesh body comes out.. with no hud.. and forces folks to make alphas for all their mesh cloting..  Sorry Not acceptable.  We still need that alpha hud.  I hope like really hope, the other mesh body makers take that into consideration when they do their BOM mesh body version.   Well, you  say,  you can always revert back to using the old version of your mesh body when you want to use mesh clothing...   what if you  would like to use both.. mesh clothing and a BOM top say under a jacket.. This BOM idea should be able to make that a reality.. and body makers need to understand that and make it as easy as possible for their customers to use.

• Like 5

Even for the creators that are now including alpha layers in the packages, folks like me that paid little attention to the BOM specifics at first, simply deleted those alphas along with the objects for other bodies.  I have an alpha HUD so, until I did lots and lots and lots of reading on BOM, I didn't realize that I might need those alphas down the road. 

It looks like I may be spending a lot of time in the future getting redeliveries of things in order to see if an alpha layer is there.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even for the creators that are now including alpha layers in the packages, folks like me that paid little attention to the BOM specifics at first, simply deleted those alphas along with the objects for other bodies.  I have an alpha HUD so, until I did lots and lots and lots of reading on BOM, I didn't realize that I might need those alphas down the road. 

It looks like I may be spending a lot of time in the future getting redeliveries of things in order to see if an alpha layer is there.

I never thought to hang on to the old alpha layers to anticipate for their comeback later.  My father and I have more or less worked out an algorithm for matching up missing alphas with clothes.

1) Hunt through old boxes and/or visit redelivery terminals for alphas layers.

2) It they don't exist, try on the freebie layers or existing ones from other clothing pieces to find the best coverage.

3) Failing that, we'd fire up Photoshop or Gimp and make our own.

By the time I finished organizing my inventory, I'll be asking what year or century we're in. 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

Once again this alpha issue comes up with BOM and mesh bodies.  And once again I have to say, the average person in SL is NOT going to WANT to be BOTHERED with making alphas in order to use their mesh clothing.  AND most mesh clothing for specific bodies does NOT come with alpha layers since mesh bodies all had an alpha hud with them.. which took care of that issue..  So a new BOM mesh body comes out.. with no hud.. and forces folks to make alphas for all their mesh cloting..  Sorry Not acceptable.  We still need that alpha hud.  I hope like really hope, the other mesh body makers take that into consideration when they do their BOM mesh body version.   Well, you  say,  you can always revert back to using the old version of your mesh body when you want to use mesh clothing...   what if you  would like to use both.. mesh clothing and a BOM top say under a jacket.. This BOM idea should be able to make that a reality.. and body makers need to understand that and make it as easy as possible for their customers to use.

For the majority of my clothes, I either had alphas because they came with standard sizes as well as mesh-specific sizes, or I was able to find an alpha that would work from the two sets available through SLink or from ones I had with existing clothes.  I have maybe a handful of clothes where I couldn't find a ready-made alpha that would work for them.  Often you don't need an alpha that covers everything that a piece of clothing does - often you just need one for specific areas of the body, so sometimes a specific alpha will work with multiple clothing items, and I copy and paste the alpha layer into all the applicable clothing folders that it works with.

Perhaps I've just been lucky with the types of clothing that I wear.  

I am also thrilled to be easily able to wear a system layer shirt under a mesh jacket, or system layer leggings under a mesh tunic -  I prefer this to having to use appliers for a layered look and to having to use an alpha HUD.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 4:36 PM, Tazzie Tuque said:

Once again this alpha issue comes up with BOM and mesh bodies. ...

There are many types of clothing that cannot be 'alpha'ed by a HUD using alpha-cuts.  I want both a HUD with alpha-cuts and a BoM with an alpha layer.  I'm finding my Maitreya Lara without an alpha-layer a pain at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anna2358 said:

There are many types of clothing that cannot be 'alpha'ed by a HUD using alpha-cuts

And indeed there are many more that cannot be alpha'd out with an alpha layer..  especially when it comes to arms and hands as alpha layers can only do both or none,  as there is only one arm on the template to make alphas, and that one arm gets applied to both on the body making it impossible to have a one sleeve dress, or anything asymmetrical having to do with the arms and hands.

1 hour ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

And indeed there are many more that cannot be alpha'd out with an alpha layer..  especially when it comes to arms and hands as alpha layers can only do both or none,  as there is only one arm on the template to make alphas, and that one arm gets applied to both on the body making it impossible to have a one sleeve dress, or anything asymmetrical having to do with the arms and hands.

Unless you're using a slink body, of course, which do have have the asymmetry harness.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I guess keeping system layer stuff in my store was a good idea

Yes it was a very good idea,  I did pretty much the same and continued to make the odd outfit in system layers and have them in their own vendor.  Many of the older ones I have pulled out and marked down to 90L  in bargain vendors..  Happy they can still be of use.  

I keep wondering though, where all this will go.  Right now the whole system of BOM seems still confusing, and scattered, meaning not everyone is on the same page yet, body creators and clothing creators..  It is hard to keep ahead of the game when there is still so much diversity in thinking where BOM is concerned.  And still many bugs and issues to be worked out.

• 1 month later...

Pink Fuel now offers full body tattoo sets for all major mesh bodies. They're the exact equivalent of their current body appliers, plus there's a blend up the neck that will allow them to be worn with skins from other makers that have a reasonable skin tone match with Pink Fuel. Going forward, Pink Fuel will base their skins on head  body tattoos for L$100.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Perhaps I'm being naive and simplistic, but isn't the point of BOM so you DON'T need specialty items to wear?

I have a Slink Redux body and I wear whatever clothes I want and whatever skin I want.

This thread began before there was a Slink Redux body released and when there were nearly no system layers being provided in skin applier packages. This thread was made to alert those wanting to switch to BoM as to when and where BoM compliant products became available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 5:54 PM, Doris Johnsky said:

Perhaps I'm being naive and simplistic, but isn't the point of BOM so you DON'T need specialty items to wear?

I have a Slink Redux body and I wear whatever clothes I want and whatever skin I want.

This list, if it is ever continued, should separate items that are BOM-additive apart from those like Slink-Redux that are full-BOM.

- most so-called BOM updates are just adding it to an onion layer... making them additive as they still retain all the laggy onions...

It's good to learn that BoM is being embarrassed by more and more creators and is becoming a standard feature. I have been providing a BoM ready version of Neo avatar, a full Bento male avatar (body and head all in one) since the implementation of Bakes on Mesh. I recently released a lite version of Neo avatar with no "onion layers" and entirely depend on BoM for texture customization. I've released a beta for my first Bento head (female) with BoM enabled as well. I call it Bae :)   Have a look at my store, META

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.