Just wanna chop it up

Stefjin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Looking for experts or any valid respondent to answer some questions that i have involving clothing sales and logistics type questions.   Is there any RLish system to the clothing industry? Finished Product sold in quantity to store at L$20 a unit, and then store sells at their own price/or suggested price. Finished Product can be sold to other stores, same routine? Re-up when stock runs low. If so, what are some of the cons and pros compared to just a one off full mod sale of finished product?  What system do you use?  Would you like to see the opposite system utilized more often?  Add any input, questions yourself, or expand off what I've started.  Very interested to see what comes up! :D

Edited by Stefjin

As a creator of clothing with stores in SL and MP,  I read you post with interest but I am afraid I do not quite understand what you are asking an opinion for.  

25 minutes ago, Stefjin said:

Finished Product sold in quantity to store at L$20 a unit, and then store sells at their own price/or suggested price. Finished Product can be sold to other stores, same routine?

This seems to me like the old cookie cutter sales practice like store in a box type thing.  Which in my opinion is not terribly creative, and takes no skill on the part of the end seller.  And most Fairs and clothing events will not allow these to be included in their events..  In fact some won't even allow those who create from templates either..  

Competition in SL in the fashion business is bad enough as it is with some store owners offering ridiculously low prices, undercutting others.  Fact is for me at least,  I put hours and hours into getting a finished product and I take pride in what I sell knowing that I have put great effort into turning out something worth something.  A fair price for a good product.  

If I understand you correctly, I would say I would not be interested in any of what you suggest.   I rather just create my products price them fairly, and be happy with my creations.. knowing that anyone who buys my items is doing so because they like the work, not because it is dirt cheap.  My customers also appreciate the fact that they are not going to run into dozens of others wearing the same item where ever they go in SL.

My brain works a million miles faster than my finger! Lemme give some background details. That would probably help.  I am a working my way towards being a creator.  Nothing over the top at all just like memorabilia type clothing and gadgets and collectibles.  My goal is to not have to sell the product myself to consumers and etc, but to the artist/dj/musician/actor/wrestler/celebrity/well know scripter/comedian/etc who during a presentation/set/tour/what ever wants to sell merch; Stores even.  I really dont want to release my rights to my work.  I have a hard time letting go of things, so i was curious if it could work like real lifeish? The stuff I create would be based on the clients franchise, so their'd be an initial cost to make the merch alone then sell them copies of the item so they could sell it at their set store what ever. for instance figurines, collectible cards, signed merch from the client, calandar, post cards, accessories, posters, ticket displays, vip passes, etc all kinds of like merch related stuff.  So if its an singer, and they have a tour going on and they would pay me based off a package to create the products then they'd have to buy them from me 100 units of b product 100 units of c product 10 units of d and e products etc. total L$xxxxx.xx then they sell those products at their own price at their venues etc. Can re up for more, or buy another package. Certain products that i create will be upgradeable  your figurine will get reskined along with its matching card and level up and the upgrade is free of charge. meet the next sale requirements upgrade free of charge.  you can pay for an early upgrade. 

So i guess i was seeing if that system was viable and if anyone had any alternatives for me that could help me not let my rights go to my creations.  I know it sounds stupid but thats the hardest thing for me, i have everything i ever owned that isn't perrishible.  Not hoarder style, just its part of my life ya know I created it. Its like giving your children away.  You just dont do it.

OK well I certainly do understand not wanting to let go of rights of things you created.. But I do not think your idea will work in SL.  I could be wrong but I do not see it working at all.  Sorry I just do not see it.  Unless you worked with a partner in business who wanted to also do things the way you are proposing.  But hey you never know, someone just might step up and say sure let's try it..  Just because it does not appeal to me doesn't mean it won't appeal to someone else.

• Like 1

Well, I do remember there being some like vendor reselling sort of things in the past, [forgot the exact name] but don't think I've really seen em around in quite some time though, Basically random Joe places a vendor he got from so & so store and they get a small cut of the profit of purchases through it.

Now the closest you'll find to that is Gacha Resellers

15 hours ago, Digit Gears said:

Well, I do remember there being some like vendor reselling sort of things in the past, [forgot the exact name] but don't think I've really seen em around in quite some time though, Basically random Joe places a vendor he got from so & so store and they get a small cut of the profit of purchases through it.

Now the closest you'll find to that is Gacha Resellers

Affiliate Vendors - they suck (I never, ever buy from them) The same with gacha stuff, except some of those creators are getting smart toward people like me who hate no-copy stuff: they're selling a "hud" or gadget that delivers a copyable version. Some will give copyable versions under too restrictive circumstances that I think most won't bother with them. The worst part about gacha is everything is no-modify.

As for the OP concern: you always maintain rights to what you create (including derivatives) - in the U.S. at least. As for the RL model of supply and demand? No, will not work well in SL, it's been tried countless times since the beginning.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.