Sign in to follow this  
Clarrellae

In what universe...

6 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I am so not googling Pot Noodle.

They're harmless enough to read about. 

15 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'll have you know that I take my coffee with cream and sugar and it's a PITA to clean off my keyboard and screen. TYVM. xD

"As John Norman's father should have done."  My tech is still recovering also; I know what you mean.  One of the great all-time lines lol

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Tip the waitress, try the tarsk. No no no, there is no need to shower me with praise and sexual favours. It will suffice simply to throw paper money.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

"As John Norman's father should have done."  My tech is still recovering also; I know what you mean.  One of the great all-time lines lol

*snickers* :D

I just logged in.... thank you! That was sweet of you! *hug*

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For me too, my heyday of RP wasn't in SL, but in WoW. On one of the more balanced RP servers.

Our group was ostensibly evil, an all Warlock guild called The Scions of Darkness. Our guild leader at the time I joined was one of the best and most generous of RPers. Someone who gave the spotlight to other people in and out of our guild. Love us or hate us, we did influence RP on the server as a whole. One person created a character with the sole purpose of eventually being killed on her wedding day. (This was a storyline months in the making, the player getting that character to L34 at a time when level cap was 60.) The murderer, of course was our guild leader. The whole story culminating in his (perma) death, involving more than 100 people with parts big and small and able to develop their own stories out the over-arching larger storyline.

Instead of disbanding, he passed the guild leadership on to another. Eventually, I became guild leader. During that time came my personal best moment. Some Mary Sue was dying, slowly of course, by some unknown curse. Many plausible cures were offered up, and every one rejected by Mary. I, being the current Grand Dame of curses and other Evil Magiks, was consulted. After hearing the symptoms and everything tried (and nothing working and time was running out for poor Mary!) I handed one of her guildmates a (trash) ritual dagger. (I carried many of them as we used them in darkity dark rituals.) I gave him the dagger and matter of factly told him to slit her throat. I would then soul stone her so her soul would be preserved, giving everyone more time to save her dying body with no great loss.

Of course Mary was NOT happy with that solution and oocly said it wouldn't work. (It so would have worked.) I shrugged, walked away and left her to her fate. (As it turned out she had this one specific convoluted sequence that was the only way to cure her that no one without a script could have ever figured out.)

And that is one of my personal favorite RP stories.

Edited by Roxy Couturier
Miss Spelling took over my keyboard.
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

For me too, my heyday of RP wasn't in SL, but in WoW.

Perhaps from your perspective. For me it was with Bulletin Board Systems, and later, a thing called Internet Relay Chat, though as I understand it, the true "hey-day" of role-playing was in the '70s and '80s with some vague thing they called Dungeons and Dragons. It was esoteric because you were forced to use your imagination in genuinely creative ways. :D

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Perhaps from your perspective. For me it was with Bulletin Board Systems, and later, a thing called Internet Relay Chat, though as I understand it, the true "hey-day" of role-playing was in the '70s and '80s with some vague thing they called Dungeons and Dragons. It was esoteric because you were forced to use your imagination in genuinely creative ways. :D

Well, back in '78-83 I did dabble in that AD&D thing in high school. But I wouldn't call it RP. Rudimentary at best. After that was time spent trying to grownup in rural USA where interwebs and second phone lines were the luxury of the rich. And then I was in the military, so it wasn't until the late 90s before I had that dial-up interwebs with a blazing 14.4 kbs modem. Getting that, the next bit of dabbling was Neverwinter Nights on 'murca on-line. So I missed out on bbs and irc RP. Then in 2004 it was CoH, that allowed for actually developing character backstories of any time and place but with set villains to strive against. It was only in '06 or so that I joined WoW.**

I thought this thread was about personal RP stories, not a history of role-playing as a whole. So what's your personal favorite story?

**Oh, before D&D, there was a little game called 'Let's Pretend' it was all the rage.

• Like 2

I've never really been involved in the roleplay community on SL...but I'd love to check it out more, especially if there's eras of Steampunk roleplay!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 11:04 AM, Clarrellae said:

In what universe was your best, most gratifying, most rewarding, most memorable (most superlative word you choose to employ here) roleplay?  Was it an existing franchise universe (Harry Potter, Gor, etc...) or was it a more genralized theme universe (apocalyptic, criminal back alleys, etc...)  What was your best most legendary moment in-game?

My...countless superlatives... roleplay was the time I pretended to be a responsible adult. It was most definitely an existing universe, usually goes by the name of life, but it answers to many aliases too.  The ...ton more superlatives.. moment ever would be the day I got told I get to keep on playing that role in this universe we call life.

Not what you wanted, but it's what I've got to offer ;) 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

**Oh, before D&D, there was a little game called 'Let's Pretend' it was all the rage.

I remember that one!!!  I still play it.  Makes the coffee taste better.

My most memorable, rewarding and vivid RP experience happened to other people. And I deeply regret never having the courage to ask to get involved.

Antiquity, when I saw it circa 2009-2011, was full of pirates. But the real power was vested in New Brunswick (Duchy of ???). They had a small but regular team of roleplayers, all happy to defer to an established hierarchy. They had a Navy of 3 or 4 regular individuals who were happy to squish pirates and were augmented by 3 or 4 less regular roleplayers who would get stuck in.

Plus they had an army who were very simply, invincible. It was a pleasure to watch the entire Brunswick community work together.

The big problem was that it felt like a clique. Maybe because they were a team, there was some sort of artificial barrier to outsiders.

With hindsight, I should have just asked to get involved.

The lessons for me were never ignore other people and never be frightened of asking for help

Edited by Hans Modan
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hans Modan said:

The big problem was that it felt like a clique. Maybe because they were a team, there was some sort of artificial barrier to outsiders.

With hindsight, I should have just asked to get involved.

That does indeed sound like a pleasure to watch.  

I like the solution you find, too, there, and I dare say you're right.

Kingdom of Sand -  No longer available - I RP a mermaid there. I think the early times were the best times. Than the drama just got worse after that and I left

Toxian City - No longer available - I role-played a werewolf  , demon , and a Neko not at the same one. Different characters. I think my demon was the best role-play I had.

Crest of Vrek'mar  - No longer available - When it first open for the first time. I think the role-play was awesome. Had some good times ....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

Kingdom of Sand -  No longer available

Do you know -- does anybody following this know -- if there's anything out there that viably replaces Kingdom of Sand?

7 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

Do you know -- does anybody following this know -- if there's anything out there that viably replaces Kingdom of Sand?

Not that I've found. The meter system was unique to SGS sims and they are all gone.

There is a replica of the city in the sky of Majilis al Jinn though..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, Alyona Su said:

I played dungeon and dragons when i was in elementary school. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballparkdogg said:

I played dungeon and dragons when i was in elementary school. 

I did, too. My dad was all into that stuff LOL

• Like 1