Clarrellae

In what universe...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In what universe was your best, most gratifying, most rewarding, most memorable (most superlative word you choose to employ here) roleplay?  Was it an existing franchise universe (Harry Potter, Gor, etc...) or was it a more genralized theme universe (apocalyptic, criminal back alleys, etc...)  What was your best most legendary moment in-game?

• Like 2

I don't RP much, and since I'm completely self-centered, my RP occurs in "Maddy's World".

Many years ago, I had an SL partner who fancied being tattooed. I taught myself the art and received (from me) a Phd in Tattoo and Piercing Arts, complete with diploma. Here's the tattoo I fashioned for both of us:

888706258_HighFive.jpg.69cebb1c2945ff00e0782af624d70d45.jpg

Eventually, she expressed an interest in being branded. Branding requires considerably more care and expertise than tattoos, so I spent lots of time practicing the technique... on coconuts. The first one I branded burst into flame right in front of her, leaving naught but a smoldering cinder. I made my apologies and went back to practicing. A few days later she witnessed my second attempt, engulfed in billowing clouds of smoke, but no flames. The charred coconut revealed the ashen outline of what I had to explain was an "M". My third attempt produced some smoke, but not enough to produce the coughing and gasping of my two earlier attempts. The "M" was visible but unattractive. My fourth attempt produced just the barest puff of smoke and a pleasing (to me) rosy "M".

Though I did finally get around to branding her, she'd lost a fair bit of interest in the endeavor.

And this is why I don't RP much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Arabian Nights. I created a character who had no knowledge of any place except the one she had run away from. Didn't read the background story cards for that reason and gradually learned about the place through RP, as my character would have done. Overheard slavers plotting to kidnap another faction leader. Found leader, again all through RP, and told her. The planned kidnap operation became utter carnage, sparking many more plots among other people that I couldn't keep track of or necessarily know about. For my part, I became initiated into the faction I had helped and given various honours. Slavers put a bounty on my head and I was captured pretty quickly (I was always crap at meter combat) by a bounty hunter, who insisted on upping the price when she brought me to them (this got quite funny in the OOC chat as they all started joking about how she ought to pay them to get rid of me because I was such a pain). Scimitars were drawn and I had my finger on the button to run in case she released me, but eventually a price was agreed and they had a good time getting their revenge on me (which wasn't all in the form you might think). My faction tried to buy/rescue me a few times but to no avail.

Eventually a rich businessman who was planning to build a hedonistic empire within the sim took pity on me and bought me for frankly far more than I was worth (mercenary slavers). I asked to be released but he said if he did, the slavers would just get me again, which was probably true. He already had one other slave, who became my "chain sister" and then my OOC SL sister too. We had fun helping to build up his empire and work against business rivals. Great times, great RP, great role players. 

Eventually the sim started to decline and then the Goreans arrived and it was game over. We took our characters on a boat trip to Ancient Rome and resumed our story there, where things went well for a while (some really fun plots including combat, capture, raising people from the dead, discovering new gods and more), until the Goreans turned up to ruin that one too.

Ah, I miss it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

.......and then the Goreans arrived and it was game over. .......

Hilarious and sad and understandable.

• Like 1

I wish I had "the epic story of all stories" for my 3 year career in roleplay, and I just don't.  I enjoyed the thought of it; I loved the preparation for it; and either I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time or I don't have the knack, ultimately.  Probably a mix of all of these.  By the time I learned "enough about enough," technically and logistically and historically etc...,  it feels like I killed any life that might have sparked and any interest thereafter. 

But I love the stories of others.  And since there are threads devoted to "what kills roleplay sims" and "how roleplayers kill each other with grammar-policing" and such things, it just made me wonder... what are the really good scenes or moments or absolutely legendary myths that persist and make people want to continue throwing their selves into another good chance at story. 

Those are two great ones.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

I wish I had "the epic story of all stories" for my 3 year career in roleplay, and I just don't.  I enjoyed the thought of it; I loved the preparation for it; and either I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time or I don't have the knack, ultimately.  Probably a mix of all of these.  By the time I learned "enough about enough," technically and logistically and historically etc...,  it feels like I killed any life that might have sparked and any interest thereafter. 

It did take a while to find the right people and places. A lot of my RP attempts came up turds, especially in Gor, where I never managed to go more than a couple of days without some idiot, sociopath or unholy combination of the two fecking it all up. I did eventually, after far too long, get wise and pull out, as John Norman's father should have done. 

Having the time to invest in RP, both to find the places and play out the stories, made a huge difference. As did being available during the day when the Americans and Aussies were on. I haven't the time to get into such immersive RP now, but I've created a traveller character who occasionally wanders around Arabian Nights sims when my mesh boobs are behaving, and I have done a little bit of one-off RP here and there (none of it very exciting, I'm afraid, but nice people), though not for a while now.

I'm sorry you never managed to find what you were looking for. Perhaps if you have some ideas of premises/plots, you could join one of those "looking for an RP partner" groups (there used to be one called I Can Role-play Anything) and start off with just one other person until you find a fit, then maybe look for someone else. Being friends OOC really did seem to help. The slavers were RPing awful things but they were all good guys behind it and none of them ever did anything to which I didn't consent. Actually a few of those scenes were intentionally comic and made some strangers laugh.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It did take a while to find the right people and places.

YES!  Yes it does, and yes it did.  And yes I have.

21 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm sorry you never managed to find what you were looking for.

In fact I have found what I'm looking for, I am thrilled to say, and it wasn't Roleplay.  I really haven't the knack for that kind of thing.  However, for a creative storytelling circle and a fan-fic gratification, some RL friends and family convene to re-write awful endings to things that finally make us feel better about that particular universe.  We don't dress-up, we don't pretend to be anybody else or inhabit any other character; we simply re-write things to our satisfaction and make the world a better place in this way. 

I'm derailing my own thread; I wonder if that concept should have its own thread.  Maybe it could be in this thread.  I like the idea of the thread......  "How would you end Supernatural?"  "How would you have ended GoT?"   "How would you have ended Elementary?"  etc....  Just thinking out loud now.  My circle has had some good times with existing franchises.

To get back to this thread though, it seems like there is something fulfilling and thrilling about the idea of roleplay because people do continue to return to it, even after negative experiences.  People still want to engage.  I find that a hopeful thing.  The Epic Story is still to be written, undaunted by cries of "invalid" hither and yon.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

In fact I have found what I'm looking for, I am thrilled to say, and it wasn't Roleplay.  I really haven't the knack for that kind of thing.  However, for a creative storytelling circle and a fan-fic gratification, some RL friends and amily convene to re-write awful endings to things that finally make us feel better about that particular universe.  We don't dress-up, we don't pretend to be anybody else or inhabit any other character; we simply re-write things to our satisfaction and make the world a better place in this way. 

Oh, good. Well, I'm glad you found what you were looking for and are enjoying it. And yes, rewrite that GoT ending. Kee-rist, that was crap. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

To get back to this thread though, it seems like there is something fulfilling and thrilling about the idea of roleplay because people do continue to return to it, even after negative experiences.  People still want to engage.  I find that a hopeful thing.  The Epic Story is still to be written, undaunted by cries of "invalid" hither and yon.

I roleplayed in various genres and though I don't remember the overall storylines that well (if I even had one), I do remember the other players I met along the way and the fantastic characters they created. I learned a lot from them and had a blast. That's what keeps me returning from time to time.

• Like 2

I'll second a lot of the sentiments here. I joined SL to explore RP and spent around 5 years completely dedicated to it. But then the luster died; too many idiots there for the shock and awe factor, too much thought posting slowed progress to a crawl, and a general lack of standard which left me feeling like I was throwing time and energy into a bottomless pit with minimal if any reward.

It's actually depressing to think that there's not one thread or story in all that time that really stands out more than the rest. The most gratifying has been the experience gained inasmuch as it is also the bane of my RP existence. I learned there was a lot of politics involved in the fictional realm and saw the ugly side of role players (attitudes) in general. On the other hand I remember feeling so drained at times from emotional scenes I actually cried in real life. Reading such moving posts from other people can be a pretty incredible experience. I enjoyed the spontaneity of plot developments that I didn't predict that challenged me to focus on my response. It's been a very long time since I've felt that way about RP in general and I miss it. But at the same time now in recent times when I have attempted to post my energy just isn't there. I don't feel anywhere close to inspired as I used to, and who knows if I ever will again. I think I was much happier as a noob who didn't give one hoot about anything other than focusing on the story. The most rewarding aspect hands-down has been meeting the few people that I call friends in this world and in the real one that I probably wouldn't have met any other way if not for SL and specifically thanks to RP.

With them I've learned more than I thought possible; we've written stories that lasted literally years and spanned across many sims, we built RP regions together, learned to make tattoos, script, and mesh, and supported each other along the way (usually by way of a random IM: COME CHECK THIS OUT! :P  or the like, followed by a long three hour chat about what we did and how we did it and how they can do it too). I've married, had sculpty now animesh babies to, and been "made" family with each of them at some point or another. Sadly as with all things real life has a habit of getting in the way. We've all drifted apart in the last year or so, but the memories created with them have been without doubt the happiest of my SL, both in RP and outside of it. If SL closed tomorrow those would be the memories I held and still do hold most dear.

The genres I loved the most was Urban or Post-Apoc, but I dabbled in fantasy or GoT for a short while too. I really wanted to try the Tudor  or Viking periods (I blame HBO for both) but sadly neither eventuated. Not enough players in my timezone for one, and too many Gor players in the other. But now that I've really immersed myself in the building aspect of SL I find RP to be lacking and repetitive. When I write now I generally do it alone. Things come and go; nothing lasts forever. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I dabbled in fantasy or GoT for a short while too. I really wanted to try the Tudor  or Viking periods (I blame HBO for both) but sadly neither eventuated. 

My thinking was very similar lol  

OH how sad I am to think about all the time I wasted in arguments with people, trying to keep the genres "pure" and not to have them bleed into each other.  I fought against GoT infiltrating Gor most vehemently.  The philosophies are different; GoT's survival of the fittest versus Gor's naturalist blah blah blah who cares anymore, certainly not me.  Roleplayers came to play out things they needed to play out; my purist crap was not what the groups needed at that moment lol  

"if I knew then what I know now..."  

but I guess it really speaks to how important it is to find that tribe wherein you fit perfectly and with all the room you need to grow, as you all grow together.  What a blessing to find that tribe! It sounds like you did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I really wanted to try the Tudor  or Viking periods

Oh Tudor would be such fun. Really nowhere else I could wear my Anne of Cleves gown without looking like a weirdo 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

OH how sad I am to think about all the time I wasted in arguments with people, trying to keep the genres "pure" and not to have them bleed into each other.  I fought against GoT infiltrating Gor most vehemently.  The philosophies are different; GoT's survival of the fittest versus Gor's naturalist blah blah blah who cares anymore, certainly not me.  Roleplayers came to play out things they needed to play out; my purist crap was not what the groups needed at that moment lol  

Since three of my favourite RP sims (two Arabian Nights, one Ancient Rome) got assimilated by the Gorean Borg, I'm all for a bit of purism when something compromises or completely destroys the integrity of the original setting. I was actively trying to stay away from Gor, so I really didn't appreciate it when it overran completely different cultures.

It's true that there usually has to be compromise somewhere. Gor bled over into almost every sim that incorporated a slavery/dancing girl system. A few things, like belly dance costumes always being referred to as silks, didn't bother me too much because they didn't actually change the nature of the setting or the role-play, and I was aware that we weren't really acting out a very historically accurate depiction of medieval Arabic culture. I shouldn't even call it belly dance, if I want to be that pedantic about it.

And of course, that leads to the ever shifting, impossible question of when a sim has truly been Borged and at what point it is no longer what it purports to be. Obviously I don't have a hard and fast definition of that which will please everyone. I just know that when belly dance costumes were being called silks, I still felt like I was in a magic realist, Arabian Nights setting. When every other person was speaking Clockwork Orange dialect, ordering pugwash in the tavern, tying everything up with Gorean knots and threatening to collar or beat me because I was showing my arms and midriff and not kneeling to all the men, I felt like I was in Gor. And several others felt the same.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

...When every other person was speaking Clockwork Orange dialect, ordering pugwash in the tavern, tying everything up with Gorean knots ....

I can't help but think of Jeff Foxworthy.  "You KNOW you might be a redneck Gorean when......." 

Ain't no Borg like a Gorean Borg, amirite.  Well, now I don't feel so badly for trying to impose some distinction between the genres.  That sucks you had to have such a cool stage overturned by the wrong actors.  Arabian Nights costuming must have been glorious to behold.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

I can't help but think of Jeff Foxworthy.  "You KNOW you might be a redneck Gorean when......." 

Ain't no Borg like a Gorean Borg, amirite.  Well, now I don't feel so badly for trying to impose some distinction between the genres.  That sucks you had to have such a cool stage overturned by the wrong actors.  Arabian Nights costuming must have been glorious to behold.

It was all system stuff back then so it won't have aged well, but yes, it was beautiful at the time.

• Like 1

I have never actually roleplayed in SL, my most memorable experience was about 15 years ago on Livejournal, which was a hub of roleplay back before the Russians took it over. I played mainly in LOTR/Silmarillion fan-games and always played the same character (Maedhros) . The best one was a game called Sinyamar, in which the Elves were (for unspecified reasons) brought back to life by the Valar and dumped into a small coastal town in California. I played that for about 2 years and was heartbroken when it closed down. Nothing ever came close to replacing it.

The most memorable moment in that story was when Maedhros tried to save his little brother from an abusive relationship and ended up getting really badly beaten up, including temporarily losing the use of the one hand he still had, and there was a touching moment in his recovery when his brother and grandfather were trying to get him to eat. Another one was meeting Elrond, who, in Tolkien's backstory, had been Maedhros & Maglor's foster-son for a short while. That moment when Elrond recognised him and (without any prompting) called him "Father"... *melts*.

There were plenty of funny moments too, mostly involving cousin Orodreth who, in modern California, had become a hippie art student with blue hair. :D

• Like 4

On 8/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

as John Norman's father should have done. 

I'll have you know that I take my coffee with cream and sugar and it's a PITA to clean off my keyboard and screen. TYVM. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2019 at 1:03 AM, RaeLeeH said:

from emotional scenes I actually cried in real life.

That's the one that is most memorable to me. I managed to evoke real emotions from the other players and had them literally in tears. 

Incorrigible was the RP region (2009). I have the whole scene saved on notecards and the events that occured afterward. I even still have the planning notes.

Thank you, Tanith, for the most memorable RP I ever participated in.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'll have you know that I take my coffee with cream and sugar and it's a PITA to clean off my keyboard and screen. TYVM. xD

His books made me feel truly nauseous on more than one occasion. They were just so, so, so horrible and hateful. It's lucky I don't chunder easily because I once made the mistake of accompanying one of his turds with a Pot Noodle, of all things. (I was a student.) It was close, I tell you. My stomach must be made of Teflon. 

Nice job, Mr and Mrs Norman Senior. Good one.

I roleplayed as police officer for a corrupt department for a sim now closed called Dead End,  a human urban noire.  Maggie was  female rp character who worked for a coffee shop in Dead End who would bring me a pastry and coffee every morning in RP.  It was a budding romance in roleplay and so much fun to do.   We connected in IM and skyped as she was on the other side of the world.  Then her partner became a douche bag and she left SL suddenly.  I thought it was my fault... gotten too personal or something, but it wasnt.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ballparkdogg said:

I roleplayed as police officer for a corrupt department for a sim now closed called Dead End,  a human urban noire.  

I remember Deadend! I RPed a journalist, it was a good way of getting into trouble. I pished off the wrong people and ended up drugged, in a sack and about to be sent to a Saudi prince unless I could think of a way to please my kidnappers. 

I hope your friend was all right. It's worrying when that sort of thing happens and you can't check in on them.

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I remember Deadend! I RPed a journalist, it was a good way of getting into trouble. I pished off the wrong people and ended up drugged, in a sack and about to be sent to a Saudi prince unless I could think of a way to please my kidnappers. 

I hope your friend was all right. It's worrying when that sort of thing happens and you can't check in on them.

Yeah but my time there was fun.  It got bogged down my favoritism and drama.  When i left my SL life was drama free

City of Lost Angels was probably my trippiest roleplay experience, especially when all the factions were fully staffed and active. I roleplayed a healer angel for a while until I got tired of it. Unfortunately, the last time I visited, it was deserted.

http://ccs-gametech.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

His books made me feel truly nauseous on more than one occasion. They were just so, so, so horrible and hateful. It's lucky I don't chunder easily because I once made the mistake of accompanying one of his turds with a Pot Noodle, of all things. (I was a student.) It was close, I tell you. My stomach must be made of Teflon. 

Nice job, Mr and Mrs Norman Senior. Good one.

I am so not googling Pot Noodle.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.