Gopi Passiflora

Do you think the major draw to Second Life is the "adult" stuff?

I think many people are drawn to Second Life because of the "adult" content like sex and whatnot. There's a lot of people (especially newcomers) who seem just focused on sex and that's it.

• Haha 1

For newcomers maybe, who do seem to come in hordes misinformed that way—and many of which log off to never come back if they fail to score within 5 min.

For anyone with more patience and not quite as horny, no.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

maturity.png

(That's from Tyche Shephard's superb Grid Survey site which seems a bit overloaded lately, so I took the liberty of pasting a statically linked image above.)

To be honest though, there are a lot of people (straight cisgender men mainly) on M and G rated land who are also looking for sex.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

To be honest though, there are a lot of people (straight cisgender men mainly) on M and G rated land who are also looking for sex.

That's certainly so, and always has been.

But it's also true that the functional division between "M" and "A" regions has grown a lot blurrier. There are plenty of "A" rated regions I visit now that have little or nothing to do with sex.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

And it's obvious that those looking to monetize (or at least be-popularized) are catering to that. If you do a places search for the most gentle, wholesome terms and have all three rating filters turned on, 75% of all hits (skewed toward the top of the list) are deviant-themed. And yes, I chose the word deviant intentionally and even that seems tame to what shows up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Myself,I didn't really know what Second life was when I first got here..My friends talked me into trying it out..Then after getting irritated and kind of freaked out by orientation Island,it took them three days to talk me into coming back..

Orientation Island reminded me of the movie ,The Island.. it just freaked me out.. hehehehe

I remember seeing the first nude guy in SL..it was really funny..He had a hair dew just like Carrot top and black t-shirt with that power sign you see on electronics,white briefs with a nanner sticking out the front,white socks just above the ankles and black shoes..

He scared me for life ,that one did.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

He scared me for life ,that one did.

No one scared me when i arrived at orientation island back then, but i immediately got the feeling i would need to get out of there, like now.
So, after a few minutes i figured out how to teleport and arrived at a sandbox where i should stay for quite a while.

I think it’s a major draw for a lot of people. It also seems to be what SL is known for to people who have never tried it out themselves, and why I was majorly annoyed at my husband for casually mentioning to his coworkers during a gaming discussion that I ‘play’ SL all the time. Grumble grumble. Now they probably all think I’m a ‘deviant’. 😂 

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

No one scared me when i arrived at orientation island back then, but i immediately got the feeling i would need to get out of there, like now.

I didn't get "scared" there.

But I did get picked up.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I remember seeing the first nude guy in SL..it was really funny..He had a hair dew just like Carrot top and black t-shirt with that power sign you see on electronics,white briefs with a nanner sticking out the front,white socks just above the ankles and black shoes..

They say he still haunts welcome areas and freebie shops frightening noobs and trying to get his freak on to this very day.

• Haha 10

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

So, after a few minutes i figured out how to teleport and arrived at a sandbox where i should stay for quite a while.

He wasn't at orientation Island..He was just the first nude guy I seen in the grid..That was after I came back three days later hehehehe

Orientation Island just creeped me out more than anything..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 1

I don't entirely recall what drew me in initially, but I very much was a sandbox hobo for those earlier days.

• Like 1

This is an open question, and not a thesis, because I honestly don't know the answer -- but I wonder if there isn't a gendered difference here?

I do know that there are, of course, many women in SL for whom sexuality is very important, probably to the extent of being the prime reason they are here. But you certainly don't see as many (or indeed, any?) female noobs wandering around naked, and asking passers-by for the "sekksies."

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do know that there are, of course, many women in SL for whom sexuality is very important, probably to the extent of being the prime reason they are here.

It's the only reason I'm here!!!

• Haha 4

The question is impossible to answer except with speculation.  I avoid adult regions and don't go looking for sex, neither do I meet many who are, but that's probably just indicative of my SL way of life.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It's the only reason I'm here!!!

Then why in god's name are you hanging out with me??? It's been so long, I can barely remember where my girlie avatar bits are.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Then why in god's name are you hanging out with me??? It's been so long, I can barely remember where my girlie avatar bits are.

Because you take my mind off sex!

And, I think they're in my purse, along with your wallet.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think they're in my purse, along with your wallet.

Ewwwwww.

(And I was wondering where that had gone. My wallet, I mean. You can keep the girlie bits.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do know that there are, of course, many women in SL for whom sexuality is very important, probably to the extent of being the prime reason they are here. But you certainly don't see as many (or indeed, any?) female noobs wandering around naked, and asking passers-by for the "sekksies."

I would hypothesize that's because female noobs don't need to.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I would hypothesize that's because female noobs don't need to.

Ahhhh.

You know, you might well be at least partly right about that.

• Like 1

I must be one of those rarities that isn't in SL for sex. At all. 

Before SL there was AW (Active Worlds) where we had all been keeping a close eye on SL for a couple of years before SL ever opened. Many made the move to SL in 2003 but as usual I drug my heels. Then illume passed and since many in our "group" had already made the move, and illume would have wanted it to be a celebration of a new beginning rather than an end, the memorial was held in SL. So a couple of days before the memorial, I signed up, because back then you got a one week free trial and after that it was a monthly sub. Then the day of the memorial, the RL other half saw the graphics and we've been here ever since. Well, he has. I left for a few years.

A funeral for a friend is what brought me to SL, not sex. And it isn't sex that keeps me in SL, it's building.

For some people sex may be the major draw but I doubt it is for most.

• Like 5

There's sex in SL? Shocking!  I do remember when I came into SL the first PM I got was from some dude saying "Want to ****? I'm so horned up and nothing to horn it on!" While I was laughing so hard, another avi standing nearby said "Did he hit you up, just mute him...." Which I did and someone TPed me off noob island.

My man does like the gassy avis though! :D

19 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I must be one of those rarities that isn't in SL for sex. At all. 

And it isn't sex that keeps me in SL, it's building.

For some people sex may be the major draw but I doubt it is for most.

I like to build stuff too.

• Like 1

Can this discussion not be had without referring to sexual acts between consenting adults as "deviant"? Is that sort of disclaimer necessary? If it's illegal acts then call them illegal acts, otherwise stop with the shaming. And yes, calling someone's sexual proclivities "deviant" is shaming them. 

And yes, I do believe the vast majority of people who join SL are initially seeking adult entertainment - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

For some, they will log in and find the whole process of getting started cumbersome, expensive, and unwieldy, and will leave almost as quickly as they arrived. Others will enjoy what they find, and it will meet their needs, and they will be residents who stay for years and will never feel the need to venture outside of adult entertainment areas for a variety of reasons. Still others will stay because of the adult entertainment, and also discover the vast array of other types of entertainment available that is less sexual and more social. 

Admittedly, my perception may be skewed, since I did come to SL strictly for the sexual side of it, and stay for many years because of it, and until somewhat recently, rarely ventured outside of the adult areas, so the people I know, for the most part, also came to SL for the sexual side, and stayed because of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Can this discussion not be had without referring to sexual acts between consenting adults as "deviant"? Is that sort of disclaimer necessary? If it's illegal acts then call them illegal acts, otherwise stop with the shaming. And yes, calling someone's sexual proclivities "deviant" is shaming them.

Agreed. I don't even know what that word is suppose to mean anymore.

51 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Admittedly, my perception may be skewed, since I did come to SL strictly for the sexual side of it, and stay for many years because of it, and until somewhat recently, rarely ventured outside of the adult areas, so the people I know, for the most part, also came to SL for the sexual side, and stayed because of it.

I think that this is key. We all have skewed perceptions because we all tend to hang out in the same relatively constrained communities.

For my first few years of SL, I hung out in three different and more or less non-overlapping communities. In one of those, which was comprised mostly of activists, educators, and librarians, there was little if any sex at all (that I could detect, anyway). The other two were broader social communities (one of which was, in its time, undoubtedly one of the most popular chat spots in SL) in which there certainly was sex going on, but in neither was it open, public, or the raison d'etre of the community. I'd say my current social circles are much the same.

That there is a sizable and important segment of the resident population who are here for sex I wouldn't want to deny. There's an even larger --probably much larger -- portion who engage in sex, but for whom it is not their primary activity. And there is a not inconsiderable community of people who just don't.

• Like 5