Seeing Animations Differently - Three Views

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't had this issue often and in the past turning off my alts AO fixed things.  BUT ---

Today I noted during a photo shoot that Alt 1 couldn't see me sitting correctly in the furniture. Even after turning off my AO, there was still no animation showing FOR HER.  To me it looked fine. 

What she saw:

31808611_whatotherssee.thumb.png.d7f53f4a5f938ba2191fc50d01b1a752.png 

What I saw:

1393237761_whatIsee.thumb.png.0839e8b2425a55dd0d40c7e2b95a5b5e.png

Then I logged in another alt and she could see the couch animation correctly.

946696176_otheralt.thumb.png.83162aa343fea594ab795a24620013a4.png

I tried turning off my AO (Firestorm Internal) but that made no change.  I have never had this issue before. Wondering if there has been some sort of change recently.  

Thanks. 

Occasionally I have seen that happening when I'm logged in at the same time with my main account and alt account. I've seen it also also with my friend. Both see themselves sitting right in their viewer. But either one might see the other one not sitting right. Usually things get corrected when the affected avatar stands up and re-sits. In addition, sometimes selecting different sitting animation might be needed and then going back to the original one.

If Alt 1 was on an older viewer release like Singularity then it would make sense since the server updates at the beginning of July when animations are fetched through HTTP instead of UDP. The last official release of Singularity and some other viewers did not have the capability for HTTP on that inventory type.

• Like 1

Yes, since 2013 when I started shooting models for clothing posters, this has been a thing for me. On Singularity, Firestorm, and Linden viewer, to be specific; on Mac and PC.  Which prompts me to revisit the issue from time to time and test it (turning off AOs as you do) but ultimately resigning myself to wearing the clothes myself to photograph.

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

what happens in each of the 3 views when the sitting avatar resits ?

Nothing changes. I relogged and even rebooted my computer.   

BUT TODAY it is fixed.  Other than rebooting my computer again which I do every evening, "I" made no changes. Still a puzzle. 

@Coby Foden   Changing sits didn't help nor did turning off Chic's AO.  The one alt didn't see the AO animations either when Chic was standing.  Normally when I see the sit inside the furniture thing, turning off the avatar's AO solves the problem and everyone sees the furniture animation. 

@Arielle Popstar   All on the same Firestorm viewer (not the newest one, but the one before).  I haven't updated the viewer in six months. Always use Firestorm. 

So while it is mysteriously fixed for me (not sure why the nighttime reboot would have been different than the one I did in the afternoon as all the steps I took were the same) we still don't know WHY this happens. 

Well maybe some really techie person has an answer as it is certainly puzzling when turning off the AO doesn't help. 

Thanks for everyone's input. 

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If you are using dual monitors, that could be where the problem lies. SL doesn't do duals very well. 

But let's call in someone who is still on the FS team, shall we... @Whirly Fizzle

Single monitor. BIG monitor but just one.    It WAS an intermittent issue it seems. Still quite curious though -- especially when relogging didn't fix on my first try but things were OK this morning. 

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Single monitor. BIG monitor but just one.    It WAS an intermittent issue it seems. Still quite curious though -- especially when relogging didn't fix on my first try but things were OK this morning. 

Weird things happen online. Even so, Whirlz may be able to shed some light on it and help prevent future instances.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
there's an r in there somewhere

Take the alts viewers out of focus instead of minimizing the viewer.
Agent updates are actually paused at the server when the viewer is minimized.

Using the Refresh animations (toolbar button) to reload the animations for the affected viewer in Firestorm should fix the problem.

7 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Using the Refresh animations (toolbar button) to reload the animations for the affected viewer in Firestorm should fix the problem.

I tried that but in this case it made no difference.   

Since this has been a very difficult server update with OH so many problems that I haven't seen in years, I am guessing that might have had something to do with the bizarre issues.   Thanks.

I've had success in fixing that issue by first right-clicking on the avatar to bring up the pie menu and going "More - More - Reset - Skel. & Anim" which sent that avatar into a straight t-pose.

After they'd gone into that t-pose doing a Refresh Animations then worked on them properly.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it's a problem with two of the same priority animations running at the same time, so like say there's one running your bento face, and one in the chair - and sometimes the viewer hasn't got a clue which one to run first. Iv'e had it happen to me a few times. It's an odd one for sure.

34 minutes ago, Kylie Remsen said:

I'm thinking it's a problem with two of the same priority animations running at the same time, so like say there's one running your bento face, and one in the chair - and sometimes the viewer hasn't got a clue which one to run first. Iv'e had it happen to me a few times. It's an odd one for sure.

Well I don't have a Bento head or a Bento AO (and I did turn my AO off which I don't normally have to do -- like almost ever).    The odd thing that I was trying to explore and understand was that TWO of THREE people saw thing correctly and the third did not. ALL were "me" on the same computer.    Thanks for your input. 

Animations are downloaded and played back viewer side. If the animation call was performed before the third viewer came into play, that third viewer has no info about what animation is currently playing and grabs the first one it finds. It may well be a server issue, for which it recognizes the same IP calling for the same animation asset and ignoring it because it just sent that same asset (like throttling connection requests to not boggle down the bandwidth, dropping a request that the server sees as already met)

58 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Animations are downloaded and played back viewer side. If the animation call was performed before the third viewer came into play, that third viewer has no info about what animation is currently playing and grabs the first one it finds. It may well be a server issue, for which it recognizes the same IP calling for the same animation asset and ignoring it because it just sent that same asset (like throttling connection requests to not boggle down the bandwidth, dropping a request that the server sees as already met)

Since this happened the same week as so many other issues (not just for me but affirmed on another thread) it may get "fixed". But just wanted to be clear that Avatar 1 sat and looked as should to avatar 1.  Avatar 2 (already logged in when avatar 1 sat) did NOT see ANY animation running at all.   Even rebooting the computer didn't fix that.   THEN after I had logged in avatar 1 and 2 again finding the same issue, I logged in Avatar 3 who could see the animation playing.    

I have certainly had issues when using multiple avatars, but they were issues showing a PREVIOUSLY USED pose. I have never had an occasion when one of the avatars saw no pose at all.   Just wanted to be clear as it IS confusing.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.