Jump to content

What type of Body are the New Avatars?


GingerPiper Throgmorton
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I have a friend who has returned to SL after a very long absence and actually set up a new account. He chose one of the NEW Avatars and now wants to get new clothing. I am finding nothing on what body types these are to assist him.

Are these CLASSIC Avatars or MESH Avatars of some form?

He is really a bit lost and I am trying to help out someone who has been gone so long he is basically a Noob. Okay more than a bit lost... I don't want him running away from SL because we can't get him sorted out. I believe that is what basically happened, the reason he left, years ago.

Edited by TLHagen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TLHagen said:

I have a friend who has returned to SL after a very long absence and actually set up a new account. He chose one of the NEW Avatars and now wants to get new clothing. I am finding nothing on what body types these are to assist him.

Are these CLASSIC Avatars or MESH Avatars of some form?

He is really a bit lost and I am trying to help out someone who has been gone so long he is basically a Noob. Okay more than a bit lost... I don't want him running away from SL because we can't get him sorted out. I believe that is what basically happened, the reason he left, years ago.

The new avatars are old system avatars, with some mesh components, so anything made for system or "classic" avatars should work, i.e., standard sized mesh, system clothing, and so on.

I am pretty sure that the older mesh default avatars are still in your library, but they're not Bento, are no mod, and are generally pretty icky, so I'd stick with the newest ones.

Should be lots and lots of freebies available for system avis though.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new avatars are Classic bodies and heads, with Mesh clothes. If he wants to keep the Classic body, but wants to get new clothes for it, he should look for ones that advertise Standard Sizes. There are loads.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TLHagen said:

Thanks!

I promised I'd help him as I can. Someone helped me when I was new and I like passing on the favor. Now I have a starting point for him.

If he has Gyazo or some other picture sharing program, he can take screenshots with the inventory open and showing "worn", so you can see it. This can be helpful if he has problems with his appearance. Nothing is better than a picture. You can see what he is wearing and explain what he has to take off or add.

You have the same starter avatars in your Library. When he is clicking on himself, or on the T-shirt icon, or choose "worn" in the inventory, he should find out the name of his avatar. Like "Leonard" or "Monty". You can wear the same avatar and walk him through change of hair/clothes step by step.

 

If he has a mesh avatar, it will say mesh in parentheses. Like this: Brandon (Mesh).

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2019 at 3:20 AM, TLHagen said:

Thank you all! He has now decided to upgrade to Mesh so now I have a whole new topic to look up. LOL!

All the mesh avatar bodies on the market now are pre-BoM-Mesh avatars. Slink is the exception. Within 3 to 6 months I suspect all the avatar bodies on the market will be BoM-Mesh avatars. So, buying all new now may not be the best move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

All the mesh avatar bodies on the market now are pre-BoM-Mesh avatars. Slink is the exception. Within 3 to 6 months I suspect all the avatar bodies on the market will be BoM-Mesh avatars. So, buying all new now may not be the best move.

Signature have updated Gianni already too, but they haven't updated Geralt yet.  So as it stands right now, men have a choice of two, and women have one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2019 at 6:20 AM, TLHagen said:

Thank you all! He has now decided to upgrade to Mesh so now I have a whole new topic to look up. LOL!

Friends don't let friends buy Mesh.  At least not just now, when everything is changing due to the release of Bakes on Mesh.

Stick with the classic body.  Start with one of the free Standard Mesh shapes, buy a hot ripped skin for it.  Fiddle with the facial appearance sliders to get the look you want.  Buy some Mesh clothing for classic avatars.

Take him shopping for male bits, too.

Wardrobe:  1 Tux, 1 business suit.  Dress shoes in black and brown.  1 pair sneakers, 1 pair sandals, 1 pair combat boots.  1 pair nice jeans, 1 pair ripped jeans.  1 pair cargo pants with color change HUD.  1 pair shorts, ditto.  1 long sleeved plaid shirt.  Several T shirts, tank tops.  1 leather bomber jacket.  1 pull on sweater.  Couple of bathing suits.  Aviator sunglasses, Rolex watch.

He'll be better equipped than 99% of the other guys in SL.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

All the mesh avatar bodies on the market now are pre-BoM-Mesh avatars. Slink is the exception. Within 3 to 6 months I suspect all the avatar bodies on the market will be BoM-Mesh avatars. So, buying all new now may not be the best move.

I haven't been paying attention to the Slink update that has happened already since I don't have that body.  Is Slink charging for the BoM update?  If not, are you thinking that maybe the other creators will?  

I don't see updates as a major reason for not getting a mesh body now unless the update will cost money.  Other than maybe the hassle of updating Outfit links.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

All the mesh avatar bodies on the market now are pre-BoM-Mesh avatars. Slink is the exception.

Signature has also already send out the updated Gianni yesterday, didn't look at it yet, because it hardly has any use for me, but can't imagine they didn't make the final release and still have to get another update.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 9:58 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I haven't been paying attention to the Slink update that has happened already since I don't have that body.  Is Slink charging for the BoM update?  If not, are you thinking that maybe the other creators will?  

I don't see updates as a major reason for not getting a mesh body now unless the update will cost money.  Other than maybe the hassle of updating Outfit links.

The Slink updates are free. It is a good bet most others will update free of charge too. Except... of course, in the case of the one you own... Maybe I'm a bit jaded.

A lot of associated things won't get updates. When fitted mesh came along only some tattoos updated to include a free applier. So, skins, tats, and other things may not update. While some will, especially those things you buy now, you will have to wait for the update. Meaning you can't use something you buy now with your new BoM body until they do update.

The takeaway here should be think about what you are buying and when you plan to use it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...