Jump to content
Vana Gears

Trailer Life

Recommended Posts

I have been working on some walls for my trailer but am having trouble with the textures for the"trim".  I am using the Laramie trailer and wanted to match the wood trim on my wall section.  I can't find any texture in the packs that seem to match.  Am I missing them?  Does anyone know if they are there?   Thanks for any help.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparkly Rainbow said:

I have been working on some walls for my trailer but am having trouble with the textures for the"trim".  I am using the Laramie trailer and wanted to match the wood trim on my wall section.  I can't find any texture in the packs that seem to match.  Am I missing them?  Does anyone know if they are there?   Thanks for any help.

 

I had the same issue yesterday.  I finally found a trim in one of the boxes that 'kinda' matched and with a little color manipulation it worked but I'm pretty sure the actual trim I was looking for is missing from the texture boxes.  I had a chat with another camp resident who said she had the same issue.

I was going to ask the mole that made the version I choose (air-stream) but since he wasn't online I sent a very polite question about the textures to @Abnor Mole who never bothered to even acknowledge that I contacted him.  I know they are busy but dang, complete silence.  I can only suggest that you improvise like I did.  *shrugs  

Edited by Ellen Cordeaux
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Oh, there are a LOT of walking trails leading out from the Lodge, one goes up to Campwich Train Station, others go into the woods, another heads up that hill then splits off toward the Zip Line area, and then up where you are. There are hidden cuddle blankets and tables, benches and logs *all over the place* - and all (that I've found) are seats, most with the option for couples (some have cuddles, too).

The thing with SL is that we've all be teleporting everywhere for so long that we forget that sometimes we can find amazing things if we just walk around and look. LOL

The interesting part about *this* particular spot (which I guess I did not make clear) is that there was no discernible walking trail leading up to it. You gotta get your rock climbing cleats out for this one. ;) 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Editing up top here:  

 

@PrudenceAnton had me over to her place and it looks like it will be too big for most of the trailers. I didn't realize that the Chesapeake was so roomy in relation to some of the others.  So it will just be an apartment kitchen and that's fine too.   

 

I will be most interested to see if there are more add-ons for the trailers. :D

 

*************************************************

 

 

Need some input please :D.  I am remaking the kitchen part of the Chesapeake build to be square (how quaint LOL) since square will work for others that need a tiny low prim kitchen but didn't choose the Chesapeake :D.  It will be freestanding so "could" go in the airstream trailer and act as a divider wall too, but not visualizing that well . ANYWAY right now it is 4.68 meters wide by 3.87 meters tall by 1 meter deep.    This is basically the size it was (not near as deep because there is no curve) but the same width so feels small enough in scale. 

 

My question is --- is this a reasonable size? Could it fit anywhere that you non-Chesapeake folks might WANT it to fit?   If not it will just be for apartments and that works too, but if being a tad taller or narrower would be better for the trailers  it is easy to do that NOW and much less effort to mod it later. 

 

Thanks a bunch for any insights. 

 

 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sparkly Rainbow said:

I have been working on some walls for my trailer but am having trouble with the textures for the"trim".  I am using the Laramie trailer and wanted to match the wood trim on my wall section.  I can't find any texture in the packs that seem to match.  Am I missing them?  Does anyone know if they are there?   Thanks for any help.

If it is like the houses, while we got the wall and floor textures, we did not get the texture for the trim - though in that pack they did give us a trim piece.  However, having the trim piece doesn't help much if it is the texture you are wanting.  In the houses, what some folks did was simply zoom the camera in to take a good picture and create their own texture.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ellen Cordeaux said:

I had the same issue yesterday.  I finally found a trim in one of the boxes that 'kinda' matched and with a little color manipulation it worked but I'm pretty sure the actual trim I was looking for is missing from the texture boxes.

That's pretty much what I did; used the floor texture, resized from default to planar and manipulated the tint. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sparkly Rainbow said:

I have been working on some walls for my trailer but am having trouble with the textures for the"trim".  I am using the Laramie trailer and wanted to match the wood trim on my wall section.  I can't find any texture in the packs that seem to match.  Am I missing them?  Does anyone know if they are there?   Thanks for any help.

There are textures marked "trim" for the Chesapeake but they don't actually match the trim :D.   I used one anyway and tinted the  trim pieces to match.  IF the creators used baked textures instead of tiling textures then the "starting" texture may not be very close at all to the finished baked texture and that certainly could be what is happening to any of the textures.     So those are more like a starting place. And if you do have the ability to make seamless textures in your graphics program a photo with some very CLEAR Windlight will do a pretty good job. Not for trim though as you would never be able to get a large enough photo of what you needed from a  tiny piece.  

 

The "missing textures" may eventually show up --- or they may simply not be available because of the way the trailers were made. I Lost Mole Airstream is a beauty  (the Shenendoah) and it is definitely baked textures on the outside (looks like Substance Painter maybe) so for any of the trailers made in that manner you will just need to get as close as you can most likely. The original texture use might not be available OR they could have made the texture inside their 3D program and there would be no actual texture to pass along. 

 

Hope that makes some sense. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to make a little brekkie for @Quartz Molein case he happens to wander through the trailer park in the morning...

Breakie.thumb.png.773b7d6182c5b592fd05429b158188be.png

Er... how long does it take to cook an omelette? 

#domesticgoddess #crispyontheedges #trailerlife

Edited by Beth Macbain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... I think I may have a problem.

Four days and 30 builds later...

1372491281_RAECamperwallsv3complete.thumb.png.6cce712eb5ef685f954d904fea316579.png

At this point I think I am actually relieved I didn't get a camper as I'm almost sick of looking at them (from a building perspective). But then I see some of the photos here and I start thinking... "Hmm, maybe I could... But there's so many other models!" 😑

I'm still determined to better this in Blender as to be honest it's all pretty basic but I'm having a whale of a time with those corners as they aren't as perfectly circular as @Chic Aeon mentioned but more oval shaped? And baking textures? Pft! That's college level for this Kindergarten student. Beyond that I'm wary that since campers can apparently be flipped 180 degrees or something that it would mean we would need to bake shadows from 2 different directions? Has anyone successfully done that yet?

Anyway the point of all this was to say a huge THANK YOU to Will who let me hijack his camper for the last few days while I worked on his initial request... before I went loco with it. Now if he changes styles I will absolutely kill him (and there goes my insanity plea I guess). 🤣

 

EDIT: and sorry again Chic, I can't answer your question as it doesn't really apply to me unless we're talking Traditional home scale. I know having a small kitchen (kitchenette?) in say the Winchester may be odd, but it might still work for the Addams or Alderley? I mean it's an option if you really wanted to remake it? Just thinking out loud is all. :) 

Edited by RaeLeeH
To answer Chic's question in a roundabout sort of way?
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

At this point I think I am actually relieved I didn't get a camper as I'm almost sick of looking at them (from a building perspective)

i tend to agree that we all can reach our own limit for how much we can take of a good thing

i waited patiently for a trailer. Then I got. Filled it up with stuff and not even a week later its ok, now what!

do I dump the stuff and fill with other stuff ? Or dump the whole parcel and try get another one ? Or maybe get another old Linden Home for the banlines ? Or maybe a old mainland parcel ? Or maybe my head is hurting with too many choices. Or maybe I do nothing for a while, as is ok to do nothing. I am going with the nothing for now

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

... I think I may have a problem.

Four days and 30 builds later...

1372491281_RAECamperwallsv3complete.thumb.png.6cce712eb5ef685f954d904fea316579.png

At this point I think I am actually relieved I didn't get a camper as I'm almost sick of looking at them (from a building perspective). But then I see some of the photos here and I start thinking... "Hmm, maybe I could... But there's so many other models!" 😑

I'm still determined to better this in Blender as to be honest it's all pretty basic but I'm having a whale of a time with those corners as they aren't as perfectly circular as @Chic Aeon mentioned but more oval shaped? And baking textures? Pft! That's college level for this Kindergarten student. Beyond that I'm wary that since campers can apparently be flipped 180 degrees or something that it would mean we would need to bake shadows from 2 different directions? Has anyone successfully done that yet?

Anyway the point of all this was to say a huge THANK YOU to Will who let me hijack his camper for the last few days while I worked on his initial request... before I went loco with it. Now if he changes styles I will absolutely kill him (and there goes my insanity plea I guess). 🤣

 

EDIT: and sorry again Chic, I can't answer your question as it doesn't really apply to me unless we're talking Traditional home scale. I know having a small kitchen (kitchenette?) in say the Winchester may be odd, but it might still work for the Addams or Alderley? I mean it's an option if you really wanted to remake it? Just thinking out loud is all. :) 

Well it took me FOUR whole days for my build -- even with no big issues to deal with.   I have talked to a few other "meshers" about the trailers and we all agree --- HARD.   I knew that before I started but I also couldn't see living in one open room  -- this after growing up in a trailer that was all tiny rooms and built ins. That likely had something to do with my NEED to make the interior more like the interiors I remembered.    

 

If I had the original trailer file to work with?  A whole different story. But trying to line up those ends when there is virtually NO wiggle room was even more difficult that I expected.   As others mentioned with the houses and houseboats, not all the walls seemed to be at 90 degree angles. This happens very easily when you are working on mesh houses. There is an easy fix to the straight walls (called "zeroing out") but not every creator remembers (Chic waves hand) and there is no way that I know of to insure the ovoid ends stay exact other than lots more practice than I have. So, that equals HARD - LOL.

 

As to the baked shadows and such. The ambient shadows in my photos are mostly from the viewer, not the mesh itself. While some creators go for the strong directional shadows, I tend to set my baking so that the lighting is as even as possible. So while there ARE ambient (as apposed to cast) shadows -- they are very subtle.  I also toned down the contrast even more than my usual set up because I was trying to match the look of the interior trim bake as much as I could.   So really the shadows that ARE evident are very subtle with no need to worry (for me anyway) about baking twice for different directions.   Even thinking about the 180 switch, there are many different placements on plots including 90 degree differences -- let ALONE all the Windlight differences.  

 

image.thumb.png.a06725d8354b31b96213633cc4fa1514.png

 

Here is a screenshot of my very simple light set up (most of mine are more complex than this).   In this case there were three large directional lights. No light source on the forth side because there are no open windows there.   While some creators would have made light sources for the alcove lighting -- thus giving more variance to the lights and shadows behind the sink area -- I left those out purposefully so that if someone wanted to take the lights OFF there wouldn't be any odd ambient shadows that could not be accounted for. 

 

So far as the rectangular mini-kitchen is concerned, Prudence solved my questions.  It won't be helpful to trailer folks. I was hoping it would be, but apparently the Chesapeake is larger than I believed it to be.   It would be possible and certainly easier to make cabinets and fixtures to fit around the  windows of the flat walls in the "tiny modular home" trailer than any of the rounded ends ones --  so hopefully someone is or will be making something very trailer-like for that popular model.   Regular kitchen stuff just doesn't seem to work all that well -- for me at least.    

 

It won't be ME making those other kitchens though; this was my offering -- which will only work for a small number of Bellisserians -- and ME of course.   My only other  add-on type project that "may" happen is a storage shed because I can never remember living in a trailer park that didn't come with a storage shed -- sometimes built along with a carport.   My lot isn't whispering "carport --- carport" to me so I am thinking just a simple storage shed with maybe a little quirkiness added in.  

 

As I said earlier in this thread though -- kudos to anyone that tries to tackle this retro refit job in Trailerville.    Honestly.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

do I dump the stuff and fill with other stuff ? Or dump the whole parcel and try get another one ? Or maybe get another old Linden Home for the banlines ? Or maybe a old mainland parcel ? Or maybe my head is hurting with too many choices. Or maybe I do nothing for a while, as is ok to do nothing. I am going with the nothing for now

OR... you could just pick everything up (inners) or move them out of the way like I did and switch to a new trailer! That's what I did and it was fun and . exciting dressing the entirely new style all over again. :)  I think of the eight there is really only one style of trailer that just doesn't do it for me at all, but the other seven are fantastic. o I'm thinking I'll stick with the one i have now for another month or week... then do it all over again. I love my location so just swapping camper/trailer styles makes it easy for me to stay excited about it all.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

OR... you could just pick everything up (inners) or move them out of the way like I did and switch to a new trailer! That's what I did and it was fun and . exciting dressing the entirely new style all over again. :)  I think of the eight there is really only one style of trailer that just doesn't do it for me at all, but the other seven are fantastic. o I'm thinking I'll stick with the one i have now for another month or week... then do it all over again. I love my location so just swapping camper/trailer styles makes it easy for me to stay excited about it all.

now i'm curious, which one of the 8 didnt you like? lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently changed my trailer to the Williamsburg style and have been busy decorating for the past couple of days. I put up two interior walls to divide the space up.  Hopefully the textures will become available for this trailer style. 

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-5spQolI5VX9X98oa.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-31YZpFHXQQbVpfmC.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-3ehbv5y8cZ37.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-JnZJRnPk7XT1izLk.jpg

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heartzwhim said:

now i'm curious, which one of the 8 didnt you like? lol

It seems to be the rarest one I see being used, it;'s the flat-topped with the round front that is made of wood. It's just too icky-looking for me. The metal version I saw at SL16B preview was okay, but that wood just totally breaks all immersion for me: A Trailer, that is pulled by a vehicle on the freeway at 70 miles an hour... made of wood planks that are oriented vertically? Also, to me, the wood ruins the trailer design style and make it look... I'll stop now before I offend anyone.

44 minutes ago, Layla Claven said:

The outside, @Alyona Su's place peeking through the trees and my view of the lake

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-Thz5LAyqP7ZZ6.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-q4sbm6pcseKO.jpg

You have a better view of the water than I do (My view shows a bit less of the water) BUT, the cuddle blanket public area stairs go right up to MY LOT! Nanner, nanner! :P

(Our area is so awesome and my three neighbors are great (Pink Motel and you) - I have seen anyone at the lot on the other side of me, yet. That one may be a vanity home (They don't bother decorating or spending time there, but have it because they can) - though there is a Platypus car parked in front of it. :)

OH, and looks like we have the same great taste (similar, at least) in Barbecue grills! 👍

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Layla Claven said:

I have recently changed my trailer to the Williamsburg style and have been busy decorating for the past couple of days. I put up two interior walls to divide the space up.  Hopefully the textures will become available for this trailer style. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Very beautiful done!  I see a familiar kitchen, which I think is so ideal for the small spaces.  The ~BAZAR~ Toronto Kitchen, which the shelves in your picture are from, is also a nice kitchen, one could use a few parts from to piece together another ideal kitchen for some of the campers. What a great view you have, too!  😍

kitchen.thumb.png.c7e20ef42cdd77812805907ae605e52e.png

~BAZAR~ Toronto Kitchen

Edited by PrudenceAnton
add photo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I stumbled on to this totally by accident while searching for something else.  This store has many add-ons for the traditional homes as well, and some outdoor add-ons for the trailers. Sorry if there was discussion already of this store; I missed it if so.

For the Shenandoah:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MB-LH-Camping-Shenandoah-Partition-One/18051571

 

There's add-ons for some of the other trailer styles too.  Mod/copy, they used the textures we already have for easy modding.  They're under the heading, 'LH MB Camping'.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ellen Cordeaux said:

 

I stumbled on to this totally by accident while searching for something else.  This store has many add-ons for the traditional homes as well, and some outdoor add-ons for the trailers. Sorry if there was discussion already of this store; I missed it if so.

For the Shenandoah:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MB-LH-Camping-Shenandoah-Partition-One/18051571

 

There's add-ons for some of the other trailer styles too.  Mod/copy, they used the textures we already have for easy modding.  They're under the heading, 'LH MB Camping'.

 

 

thank you for sharing ❤️ 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ellen Cordeaux said:

 

I stumbled on to this totally by accident while searching for something else.  This store has many add-ons for the traditional homes as well, and some outdoor add-ons for the trailers. Sorry if there was discussion already of this store; I missed it if so.

For the Shenandoah:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MB-LH-Camping-Shenandoah-Partition-One/18051571

 

There's add-ons for some of the other trailer styles too.  Mod/copy, they used the textures we already have for easy modding.  They're under the heading, 'LH MB Camping'.

 

 

I saw that in use last night. Some texture issues on the woodgrain around doors that bothered me a lot but it is mod so you "might" be able to fix that OR replace the textures with something without grain - that would certainly work. . The grain is very obviously running the wrong way on the door frames :D.   You can actually see the problem in the Marketplace photos.    But it certainly is reasonably priced so hopefully will work well for some folks.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is EXTREMELY funny that tons of folks complained about the SMALL ROOMS on the Traditionals and now are MAKING SMALL ROOMS when The Lab gave people the "open spaces" that they asked for === LOL. Really, a good chuckle.   

 

I talked to another well-known creator last night and urged her to make more trailer items, so hopefully that will happen.  Fingers crossed for you guys!!!!

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

 

You have a better view of the water than I do (My view shows a bit less of the water) BUT, the cuddle blanket public area stairs go right up to MY LOT! Nanner, nanner! :P

 

😂 I never noticed the steps before. I logged in to have a look. I just usually scramble down the slope to get to that part.

Edited by Layla Claven
missed word
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

Very beautiful done!  I see a familiar kitchen, which I think is so ideal for the small spaces.  The ~BAZAR~ Toronto Kitchen, which the shelves in your picture are from, is also a nice kitchen, one could use a few parts from to piece together another ideal kitchen for some of the campers. What a great view you have, too!  😍

kitchen.thumb.png.c7e20ef42cdd77812805907ae605e52e.png

~BAZAR~ Toronto Kitchen

Thank you @PrudenceAnton

I do like the BAZAR Toronto kitchen because you can take it apart and move the units about and I've used it in a few places. I have to remember to turn the full bright off though. I don't know how long I'd been using it for before I noticed that my kitchen was lit up like a Christmas Tree.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I think it is EXTREMELY funny that tons of folks complained about the SMALL ROOMS on the Traditionals and now are MAKING SMALL ROOMS when The Lab gave people the "open spaces" that they asked for === LOL. Really, a good chuckle.   

 

I talked to another well-known creator last night and urged her to make more trailer items, so hopefully that will happen.  Fingers crossed for you guys!!!!

i would just be happy with mesh walls that allow us to use different textures. I like open floor plans myself. Easier to see without cam going wonky

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I saw that in use last night. Some texture issues on the woodgrain around doors that bothered me a lot but it is mod so you "might" be able to fix that OR replace the textures with something without grain - that would certainly work. . The grain is very obviously running the wrong way on the door frames :D.   You can actually see the problem in the Marketplace photos.    But it certainly is reasonably priced so hopefully will work well for some folks.  

Definitely a texture issue.  Hard to correct when something is all one piece; in this way I kind of miss prims.  Mesh has taken my modify game way down. But nice to see peeps out there makin stuff for our little campers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...