Gopi Passiflora

Do you use voice chat?

1 hour ago, Adam Spark said:

It can be used to determine if two accounts are yours, yes (with some level of accuracy. It isn't impossible that two users share a location or PC). But unless you are using alts for reasons that are begging for such karma, so what?

You've never been stalked in RL/online have you. I have. For more than 20 years. The only thing that stopped him was death.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You've never been stalked in RL/online have you. I have. For more than 20 years. The only thing that stopped him was death.

All it took was your IP address?

1 minute ago, Adam Spark said:

All it took was your IP address?

To give him the general geographical location, yes. There are plenty of programs out there (and have been for decades) that allow someone to nearly pinpoint your location by IP. It's not hard to find the public records from there.

I don't use voice chat.

Primarly, because I don't have the desire to voice chat with random strangers (shy) and I don't hang out at places, where it would be common or encouraged anyway. Initially I also didn't consider it, because I heard it was a hassle to set up correctly and that the quality wasn't worth it.

Other peoples use of voice (be it over SL or a third party stream) have been a mixed bag. The best has been a live singer, whos voice was the vocal equivalent of liquid gold. The type of voice some people are gifted with, that you could listen to for hours and hours. The worst experiance what with an old friend, who wanted to introduce me to a new friend he made. She was speaking on voice, because she didn't like typing. For some reason she thought eating...I don't know... carrots or something like that would be a great idea. So I had to endure her chewing and munching loudly the whole time. Made my skin crawl. Some people have no shame and no manners.

I'm too shy to use it (the times I've ever had it on, I freak out and leave the second someone starts talking to me) and I've always listened to music while playing. I think it's neat in concept but it's not my thing.

• Like 1

Nope. I'll talk on the phone or in person just fine, but SL isn't the kind of game where I want to be expected to reply "live" to casual chat. I drop in and out of conversations.

That and it's kind of immersion breaking with furries. Some voices definitely match what their avatars look like, others... not so much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It is also, as you yourself note, not very accurate.

I live in Manchester, UK. I've had websites tell me (based on my IP address) that I'm in any town between Luton and Glasgow, which are about 350 miles apart. More commonly, it puts me somewhere between Stoke on Trent and Preston, which are about 60 miles apart.

The only reliable information my IP address can provide is "Matty is probably somewhere in north-west England".

Most of the time I completely forget that SL has a voice feature, I've had it turned off since voice was introduced. I make sure to turn it off in the parcel settings whenever I buy land, and that's as much thought as I give to it. Until I went to an event on my alt last weekend, and a group of people had a go at me for having voice turned off, apparently they were annoyed because it made it harder for them to harass me. Griefers these days, I tell ya.

• Like 1

I used to voice a lot with friends, actually. Mostly with fellow germans, because I am/was extremely selfconcious about my accent and misspronouncing of literally everything, lol.
However, I jumped over my shadow at one point and talked to someone from Maine, who became a good friend of mine. Then I became a social hermit in SL, so no voice anymore.
Other than that, I use discord to talk to friends when we game together, and to say goodnight to my boyfriend, lol. 

I like talking with people, actually. I'm some sort of audiophile, I enjoy other peoples voices a lot, heh. 
However, I don't like being pushed to voice, and I tend to get pretty petty if someone tries that, especially if they want to confirm my gender. 

• Like 2

Kinda besides the One-on-One conversations with that one friend, I find the voice feature to be annoying specially when used in groups. If there should be any type of disagreement or difference in opinions, people talk over you, interrupt constantly and then it becomes a screaming match (at which point I will leave, I have enough headaches dealing with people offline) as opposed to typing which allows me to clearly express what I meant to "say". so.. yes, I do voice use voice but it's rare and mostly among friends which aren't a lot.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:10 PM, Alyona Su said:

They call it "voice", but it's really "Televisions, screaming at kids, being screamed at, burping, farting, disgusting-sounding gum-chewing, health-related labored-breathing, loud-slurping from a glass or straw, chuckling, and anything else that is nasty/annoying/gross/uncalled-for/irritating that you can think of sound-application" Who wouldn't want to listen to all of that by having that feature turned on?

This!! If you're sick.. for the love of all that is Holy, turn off your audio. Nobody, I mean nobody needs to hear the constant phlegm.. the coughing, the choking, chewing nachos. Come on! That was my last straw.

• Like 1