Are You Playing Bellisseria Roulette?

Edwards Perry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so this question is for the avi's that are using an auto refresh plugin and fishing for Linden Homes. 

I am waiting desperately for a houseboat to live on anywhere in Belli. but have missed the only one I saw using auto refresh,  although I notice that I am fishing and catching houses that become available.

I will land a belli home, check it out.. decide I am not happy with the location and abandon it right away.  Even though I only want a houseboat , I cant stop myself from taking the home only to look at it. Am I being greedy? Or do others do the same thing as me.

Edited by Edwards Perry
  • Like 3

There are quite few people here that do it.  I have done it with a few homes.  Sometimes there is no way of knowing if the house or area will work for you  unless you see and try it out.  JMO.

Edited by karynmaria
  • Like 3

There are at least half a dozen folks that I know of playing the Catch & Release game in order to try finding a better location.  If I know about 6 or so, then that means there are probably at least 2-3 times that many doing it.

I did that during each of the two main releases -- using alts to get a location I was happy with.  I actually like my current location quite a bit - there are just a few spots that I would like better, but only a tiny few.  Given that, I'm not taking a chance on the game right now with availability being so scarce. 

• Like 4

I don't think it's intrinsically unfair to do this. After all you are releasing it again, so the same people waiting have the same opportunity to catch it, just a few minutes later.

I do wonder though, if the people playing catch-and-release are getting to the point where they are picking up the same set of houses over and over again? If there's a limited number of people doing this, the houses are just going to circulate between them.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 3

I play the "catch and release game" with passion and I will catch anything (even a trailor which I definetely NOT want to live in), then look at it and release it again. Wether I look at it for a minute, an hour, a day, a week or a month depends on how good it is and how difficult it is (weighing all pros and cons) to decide wether or not it might be better that something I allready HAVE. Should that be the case I'll keep it and release the other one.

I think only ONCE I got the same house back trying for a new one.

- with a definetly awfull house i got at the end of the first big release period which lasted about 48 hours April 15th -

To avoid that one should abandon a house at a time one isn't refreshing for a new one.

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I do wonder though, if the people playing catch-and-release are getting to the point where they are picking up the same set of houses over and over again? If there's a limited number of people doing this, the houses are just going to circulate between them.

I do not think so. "The catch and release group" (I guess about 10 to 20 people) is very choosy while there is a group of other people (getting smaller with ervery region released) who are quite desperate and would accept ANY house at long as it is in Bellisseria, so what you release will usually not be released again or if then maximum once or twice.

In the future that will change though I expect.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Edwards Perry said:

Ok so this question is for the avi's that are using an auto refresh plugin and fishing for Linden Homes. 

I am waiting desperately for a houseboat to live on anywhere in Belli. but have missed the only one I saw using auto refresh,  although I notice that I am fishing and catching houses that become available.

I will land a belli home, check it out.. decide I am not happy with the location and abandon it right away.  Even though I only want a houseboat , I cant stop myself from taking the home only to look at it. Am I being greedy? Or do others do the same thing as me.

Although I don’t do this, I don’t think you are being greedy.  My partner and I share 1 houseboat, obtained on the first day, probably not in what would be considered a prime location as the Region we live in has 30 houseboats which I think is the highest number of parcels I’ve heard of in a single Region.  We stay put because we have what we wanted, which is simply access to sailable water.  If we wanted something important to us, we would probably be doing everything possible to get it, including checking out places which don’t necessarily meet our criteria because sometimes those do have unexpected benefits and may serve our needs just as well as a houseboat.

In my opinion, you are keeping an open mind and that’s commendable. 🙂

• Like 6

Only recently have I been able to do any catching and releasing. I think the supply is beginning to catch up with the demand, as far as the traditional houses are concerned. (Thank you, Moles!) The houseboats have eluded me, however. For me, the perfect location would be on the water in a lush green environment. I invested in a premium account for my alt, in order  to cast my line for the mythic houseboat. My main avi has hung onto a corner lot in Emerson Lake, which I lucked into, after someone abandoned it on May 15. So far I haven’t come across a new location that has tempted me to give up that house. Pearlcoast  pretty much fit my criteria. Of course, the moment I needed to attend to RL duties is when that region was released. Oh, well. The search continues.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Edwards Perry said:

No, you're not being greedy. As others have said, you're paying for a premium membership just like everyone else (who is looking for a house or house boat in Bellisseria). Is it greedy to move if you don't like where you are in real life? No. It's freedom of choice. If you can, and you want to and you have the means to do so while we live in a democratic society you should be able to. Of course there are those who won't be happy, but it's not your job to please them, it's your job to please you (providing no laws or ToS are broken).

While I understand their frustrations, their opinions don't override yours. We're all Residents. We're all (supposedly) equal. As much as I could argue of how they might feel differently if the shoe was on the other foot - I mean how they would feel if they had the home and for whatever reason wanted a change and others were judging negatively, or even hurling abuse as some have, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter because speculation doesn't change anything. 

Do I do it? Yes. Though usually a glance at the map will tell me if I think it's worthwhile. Either way I'll decide quick, log in and release with a glance around to see if it's a view I can "live with" because that's the point. I'm not going to live in a place I don't like to please others. It's my SL and my choice, as it is their choice to chase their home or their ideal location when and if the time comes. I still hold out hope for that place on the beach, but at the end of the day if I don't get it I'm still happy where I am. People can judge me for playing catch and release or Bellisseria roulette but see that point I underlined above.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

As a charter member of the Refresh Club I can't help checking in occasionally to see what comes up. I had a riverside traditional which I let go of recently after lucking into a 32x32 corner plot houseboat in a recent region--an abandon at that! My thought was probably the same as whoever got my last amazing spot: How could anyone give this up? 

I see no problem with catch and release.  These homes represent different things to people. A retirement home, a starter home, a place to sail; something permanent or something more ephemeral...all valid. 

Edited by cicelydawn
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I do wonder though, if the people playing catch-and-release are getting to the point where they are picking up the same set of houses over and over again?

Once demand shrinks, I think there may be a set of 'less desirable' houses/boats that come up often.  Yesterday in Belli chat someone announced they were abandoning a house, then caught it twice again themselves!  But the quality of the real estate is high enough, and the audience is varied enough, that I don't think we'll see recirculating "loser" properties for quite some time. 

I don't think it's at all greedy to play "catch and release" so long as you don't end up with an army of alts all owning LHs.  Of course, you'd STILL be paying for all of those parcels, so you'd not be infringing any rules.  But there's still a lot of frustrated typists waiting for houses out there.

I do catch-and-release when looking for a specific type of property, or if a really difficult neighbor shows up next door and I just want to get away.  I'm looking for a houseboat right now, so altho I was available for the Edgar release, I sat it out.

• Like 5

Raising my hand, I play catch and release.   One, it's addictive!  And secondarily I play catch and release because I know what I want.  And once I catch that, I'm done.   I know it's like searching for a needle in a haystack, however, I refuse to give up on my dream.   Most of the time, I check it out and if it isn't what I want I release if for someone else to enjoy.   No harm no foul.   Some times I release right away and others I will wait until the middle of the night CST to release to give someone that isn't always available at the times of the releases a chance to get a house as well.   The only other way I will stop is if I get a home on the same sim as my daughter.   *shrugs*    We all have our dreams.    :)    

• Like 5

On 8/21/2019 at 11:51 AM, cicelydawn said:

As a charter member of the Refresh Club I can't help checking in occasionally to see what comes up. I had a riverside traditional which I let go of recently after lucking into a 32x32 corner plot houseboat in a recent region--an abandon at that! My thought was probably the same as whoever got my last amazing spot: How could anyone give this up? 

I see no problem with catch and release.  These homes represent different things to people. A retirement home, a starter home, a place to sail; something permanent or something more ephemeral...all valid. 

A question....Don't you need to abandon a lot before picking another? It sounds like you lucked into the houseboat, and then let the traditional go.

11 minutes ago, Kayden Oconnell said:

A question....Don't you need to abandon a lot before picking another? It sounds like you lucked into the houseboat, and then let the traditional go.

Most, I can't speak of this case, use alts to get a better location or plot. So when the other account gets a better one, they let the main go. Same other way around.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Kayden Oconnell said:

Yes, you do. Unless an alt owned one of those properties. 

39 minutes ago, iBrat said:

Most, I can't speak of this case, use alts to get a better location or plot. So when the other account gets a better one, they let the main go. Same other way around.

^ Exactly this. Because you can only have one premium house per premium membership. So you either abandon the one you have and wait to catch another or you use an alt. You cannot have one and try to catch another one on the same account.

Edited by RaeLeeH
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Yes, you do. Unless an alt owned one of those properties. 

^ Exactly this. Because you can only have one premium house per premium membership. So you either abandon the one you have and wait to catch another or you use an alt. You cannot have one and try to catch another one on the same account.

Thanks RaeLee, that's what I thought. And I've been playing the linden lottery, too. I also got caught in the "only 5 catch and release in 24 hours" vortex. I realized this just before Friday's release. I've still got an alt in the game, but weekends are slow.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.