Snowglaze

how to tell if an item in the marketplace is outdated?

Question

i'm looking for horse avatars that don't cost much because i'm broke, and i found one that is cheap and looks like it might be good. but there are no reviews or anything on it, and you can't see the date that an item was uploaded. here is the item if anyone can help: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVATAR-horse-sculpt-black-horse-hair-white-just-wear/2539339

whenever i do get lindens, i don't want to waste L$300 on it if it's broken.

8 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Snowglaze said:

i'm looking for horse avatars that don't cost much because i'm broke, and i found one that is cheap and looks like it might be good. but there are no reviews or anything on it, and you can't see the date that an item was uploaded. here is the item if anyone can help: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVATAR-horse-sculpt-black-horse-hair-white-just-wear/2539339

Well review dates would give you some hints but as you say there are none. 

Here is a biggie as to AGE however ---

-alpha body (just wear) ONLY viewer 2".  Viewer 2 was introduced many years ago so mentioning "only viewer 2" suggests it was new when this was listed. Also it is sculpt and not mesh.   If you cannot SEE A DEMO, I wouldn't buy it :D -- that's just me. .   

The mantra on the forums -- NO DEMO - NO PURCHASE (chant along with me).   

That being said, just because something is oldish, it could still be very good. I have a lot of mesh items from five or more years ago that are still very usable and work well.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Right click any empty space in the listing page and choose "View Page Source" then look for the 10 digit number next to any .jpg images.

That is the unix time the image was uploaded.

This is currently your best guess to how old a listing is.

You'll have to either script a converter or search for a unix time converter app on the web to convert it to a date and time.

Listing date used to be shown back during XStreets days and there's been talk in the Web UG of bringing that info back.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

"Outdated" isn't the same thing as "broken."  There are plenty of items in Marketplace that use older technology but are still perfectly good.  They simply don't have some of the modern bells and whistles that might be included if they were created today.  ( I have a few things like that in my own MP shop.)  If something is actually broken, though, or if it doesn't match the advertised description, then you can always ask the merchant for a repair or a refund.  I would suggest, though, that you're not likely to get much of a horse avatar for only L$300.  If that's all you have now -- barely more than $1 worth of L$ -- it's probably wise to wait until you can afford a horse that you will be pleased with.  

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I would suggest, though, that you're not likely to get much of a horse avatar for only L$300. 

Yes. However, the default "Thomas" avatar comes with a horse attachment. So that's a free option. Not too bad a horse, either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, animats said:

Yes. However, the default "Thomas" avatar comes with a horse attachment. So that's a free option. Not too bad a horse, either.

Good point.  It is a nice horse, though not an avatar.  

Yes. A key point for a new user is whether you want to ride a horse, or be a horse. Both options are available.

7 hours ago, Snowglaze said:

Option 1 If you buy cheap and it is crappy, drink more wine or beer and it will soon be the best one you ever bought for a while..

Option 2 save up and buy from a reputable known creator with a demo and you will love it for years.