Best Head?

Benson Gravois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

So, I want a good human head. Any idea what the best ones are? Suggestions? I like realism and facial expressions and animations.

The best one is the one that you like best.
Just drop by some stores, collect demos, compare features, play around with the shape, and so forth. 
DO NOT let someone else make your decision for you, because what they consider the best may be utter rubbish to you. 

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

So, I want a good human head. Any idea what the best ones are? Suggestions? I like realism and facial expressions and animations.

My suggestion is to join an inworld group for the head's you are interested in and ask questions there.  Ask questions about animations, etc.  Catwa has an inworld group called Catwa Head Friends.  If I ever get ready to buy another head, I plan to ask questions there first myself.  Some of the anime huds are not that easy to understand...so perhaps ask first on the ones you are interested in if they can explain a few things to you.

There are also separate animation huds BUT I know nothing about them.  Perhaps someone else may and can help you.  

Edited by FairreLilette

3 hours ago, Benson Gravois said:

Okay, I just looked up some things as mesh heads are pretty new to me, too.

Okay, you may have bought the Justin head WITHOUT the animations pack perhaps.

Here is a link to buy just the animation hud for 310 linden which is cheaper than jumping into a new head right away.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CATWA-Bento-Anim-HUD-C/14392201

So, if I were you, I'd definitely join CATWA HEAD FRIENDS group inworld and ask questions there.  

The above response is written because the OP started another thread earlier on a make-over as he wanted more animations and realism.   

This next link below shows everything else you can buy for your already existing Justin head.  (The animation hud link is above.)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/29673/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=Justin

Edited by FairreLilette

5 hours ago, Benson Gravois said:

What kind of look are you going for? Ethnicity, aesthetic, age? And, what mesh body do you use? If you can't get matching appliers for head and body, it's a non-starter right there.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon

How I'd go about head shopping is to get every single bento head demo available in the shops AND a skin demo that you like. You can use the demo shape that comes with a head but I've found that with each store you can set up a head shape and reuse it on other bento heads in that store. With minor tweaks you can make all the bento heads look similar enough to the point where you can pick out the small differences of each head. Some details might be showstoppers... like duck lips... but you might find that a certain head that is more appealing than the rest. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 3:13 AM, FairreLilette said:

Okay, I just looked up some things as mesh heads are pretty new to me, too.

Okay, you may have bought the Justin head WITHOUT the animations pack perhaps.

Here is a link to buy just the animation hud for 310 linden which is cheaper than jumping into a new head right away.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CATWA-Bento-Anim-HUD-C/14392201

This is not the right animation hud for Justin. It is an extra hud (to add in animations that you've bought elsewhere) for bento heads, but Justin is not Bento. The hud for Justin (and the other non-bento heads) is in the mainstore only, not on MP. It's modular - you can buy just the parts you want, and if you buy them all it will cost about L$3,000.

37 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

This is not the right animation hud for Justin. It is an extra hud (to add in animations that you've bought elsewhere) for bento heads, but Justin is not Bento. The hud for Justin (and the other non-bento heads) is in the mainstore only, not on MP. It's modular - you can buy just the parts you want, and if you buy them all it will cost about L$3,000.

Okay, thanks, was hoping you'd address that issue because you said you had Justin too.

Now, I looked at the fatpack and it shows an animation hud with the fatpack but only in the picture on MP, see here:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CATWA-HEAD-Justin-FATPACK/9173337

So, is this a boo-boo in the photo of the fatpack or was there an update on the head?

Edited by FairreLilette

16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, thanks, was hoping you'd address that issue because you said you had Justin too.

Now, I looked at the fatpack and it shows an animation hud with the fatpack but only in the picture on MP, see here:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CATWA-HEAD-Justin-FATPACK/9173337

So, is this a boo-boo in the photo of the fatpack or was there an update on the head?

Not a boo-boo, no. All of the non-Bento frames-animated heads at Catwa are sold in either 'basic' or 'fatpack' format. Basic is just the head, and you can purchase the various animations and mood add-ons separately (see this quick MP search for a list) according to which ones you want, or you can purchase the fatpack, which comes with everything together. They're sold exactly the same in the store, too.The animations on these heads are 'frames' - that is, they don't use motion capture because they're not Bento-rigged; instead they use different stages of mesh shapes to animate the face. Think of it like a flip-book, with each page showing a slightly different image, but when flicked through you see the animation as a whole.

ETA: I should add a couple of things:

• Each set of frames animations for the non-Bento heads are specific to their relevant head, so if purchasing you should always ensure you're buying the animations for your head. In the store they are right next to the heads themselves, and on Marketplace they are in the 'related items' list beneath the page for the head itself.
  • None of the Catwa non-Bento heads will be updated to "be Bento". They can't be, because they're created differently. Bento heads are an entirely different and more complex product.
Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Not a boo-boo, no. All of the non-Bento frames-animated heads at Catwa are sold in either 'basic' or 'fatpack' format. Basic is just the head, and you can purchase the various animations and mood add-ons separately (see this quick MP search for a list) according to which ones you want, or you can purchase the fatpack, which comes with everything together. They're sold exactly the same in the store, too.The animations on these heads are 'frames' - that is, they don't use motion capture because they're not Bento-rigged; instead they use different stages of mesh shapes to animate the face. Think of it like a flip-book, with each page showing a slightly different image, but when flicked through you see the animation as a whole.

Okay, I feel like I need a Master's Degree in this.

And, on closer look at the photo, that is NOT the hud my Catwa head came with.

I'll let you all take over.

So, if he wants animations, he needs a Bento head?

Goosh, I thought I bought a Bento head from Catwa and now I don't even know if I did?  I think I did.  She looks fairly animated toooooo me.  

The devil's in the details and there are a lot of details in SL.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Goosh, I thought I bought a Bento head from Catwa and now I don't even know if I did?  I think I did.  She looks fairly animated toooooo me.

Catwa's Bento heads so far are listed behind the spoiler tag.

If you have any of those, then yes your HUD will look nothing like the Frames Animated HUD that was shown earlier.

I'm very aware that this thread has become rather Catwa-centric, so - unless anyone has any other Catwa-related queries - I'm going to step down from it. I'm a CSR for Catwa, so - while I'm happy to help with any Catwa-related questions that pop up here on the forum - I'm not comfortable with "taking over" a thread where someone has asked for recommendations, as it may seem to others that I'm overly-promoting that brand when that is not my intention at all. I have always maintained that a person's choice of mesh head and body should be down to their own preference.

Female

Catya
Lona
Lilo
Kathy
Tala
Kimberly
Koura
Hanako
Sofia
Pink (unisex, with an added male neck fit)
Lilly (unisex, with an added male neck fit)
Magy (unisex, with an added male neck fit)
Uma
Ciara
Keme
Kittia
Steffi
Eva
Strawberry
Margeaux
Lee
Blueberry
Denice
Jade
Daria
Jasmine
Nour

Male

Daniel
Stanley
Shaheen
Dino
Victor
Skell
Dude
Gac

On 8/17/2019 at 4:36 PM, Benson Gravois said:

To Benson and readers, I just wanted to say that the Bento female heads are VERY animated; like they are talking as in the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/caatwa

However, you can modify the animations.  My head smiles different smiles, winks, yawns and says no intermittently and not very often because I changed it.

Out of the box, the animation is going a mile a minute...so you may want to watch some videos on the male head animations you are interested in if you can find them but most likely they are modify though and it takes some time to get what you want out the animations.

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Catwa's Bento heads so far are listed behind the spoiler tag.

If you have any of those, then yes your HUD will look nothing like the Frames Animated HUD that was shown earlier.

I'm very aware that this thread has become rather Catwa-centric, so - unless anyone has any other Catwa-related queries - I'm going to step down from it. I'm a CSR for Catwa, so - while I'm happy to help with any Catwa-related questions that pop up here on the forum - I'm not comfortable with "taking over" a thread where someone has asked for recommendations, as it may seem to others that I'm overly-promoting that brand when that is not my intention at all. I have always maintained that a person's choice of mesh head and body should be down to their own preference.

Hide contents

Female

Catya
Lona
Lilo
Kathy
Tala
Kimberly
Koura
Hanako
Sofia
Pink (unisex, with an added male neck fit)
Lilly (unisex, with an added male neck fit)
Magy (unisex, with an added male neck fit)
Uma
Ciara
Keme
Kittia
Steffi
Eva
Strawberry
Margeaux
Lee
Blueberry
Denice
Jade
Daria
Jasmine
Nour

Male

Daniel
Stanley
Shaheen
Dino
Victor
Skell
Dude
Gac

Thanks, yes I checked...my head is on the list and on the ad says BENTO HEAD. 

So, the OP needs a Bento head because he wants animations.  There may be videos even to watch on different heads he may be interested in.

The CATWA HEAD FRIENDS group is there inworld almost 24/7.  It is a great group to join if you have a Catwa head!  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.